Has your disease made you a better person?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Intrepid, Aug 10, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

I can relate so well to you, Brown Recluse. Your description is similar to my experience. I once was a very active person, career as a paralegal, volunteered with our local Civic Club, the American Red Cross, coached youth soccer, served on various boards and was a member of several sports booster clubs at our son's school. I was always patient and tolerant of others. Now I have become very irritable, impatient and cynical. I would so love to have the old me back.

2. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

dogs, you certainly come accross as a very patient and understanding person on this board. a valuable help and source of information to sufferers

3. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

thanks irelandman.

many still consider me very patient, but nothing used to bother me, i mean absolutely nothing. Maybe i love life and have great patience because of my experiences around funeral homes. This thing we call life can end anytime, in the blink of an eye. I see it/hear about it everyday.

I miss my old self, trying to get used to the new me.

4. daBronx

daBronx New Member

No.I've become a much angrier person.While my vertigo attacks are in remission,I still have aural fullness and hyperacucis.If music is turned up too loud I often fly off the handle,like I did yesterday at my local seniors center.They said the next time I get angry and use fowl language they'll ban me from the center.

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'm so sorry daBronx. And ya know there will come a time when you do it again. Smetimes it goes beyond tact and something just comes out of your mouth. I get ya. I'm lucky, I have control over how loud the sound is in my own home.

6. AnneT

AnneT New Member

No. Maybe I am more patient, and like to think I am more appreciative of good days, but they are clouded by the anxious possibility. I feel like a shrunken version of myself. The tinnitus, hyperacousis, dysequilibrium are constant reminders and triggers of anxiety and fatigue.

I'd like to say something positive... ok, I enjoyed a recent art exhibit that made me smile.

7. Daize

Daize New Member

no, however, I am more patient. some days are good and some are bad. I am still the caring, giving, loving person I always have been. Humor is helpful, yes I have frustrating moments, I cannot do what I use to do, but, it has nothing to do with this disease making me a better person.

It is not only the meniere's disease that changed my life, but, also that I am ovarian cancer survivor stage 3 going on 15 years, that made me stop and smell the flowers.

intersting question.

8. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

I hope that every hard and/or tough situation in my life has helped develop my character and made me a better person. To allow the negativity of the situation control me and bring to a 'bad' place than that disease/disorder/circumstance won. I am not better in my profession nor am I a doctor as it stunted my goal of becoming a Forensic Psychologist/Profiler but in some areas I am better and better equipped - ie. patience and tolerance and empathy and sympathy. Not taking today for granted and never forgetting the pleasures of the small things in life such as a good friend or a smile from the heart. These diseases/disorders are my cross to carry I strive not to put my crosses onto other's shoulders.