hard to keep faith right now

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by dizzy in albuquerque, Sep 14, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. anyone going through this? i feel like i'm never going to be well again although i know somewhere deep down inside i will be this time of year is usually pretty rough.

how do you all keep faith going?
    I'm struggling
    trying to understand why we all have this disease
    chris

2. joy

joy New Member

First thing that comes to my mind in answer to your question of why is: "why not?" What makes us immune to suffering? I know you don't think you should be kept from all the bad stuff, but honestly we, as Christians, are gonna suffer just like everyone else, regardless of our faith. We're human & susceptible to everything 'humanly available'. Faith doesn't mean we get a free ticket to constant great health & happily-ever-after. (But you already know that...)

I've gone through the same 'hard to keep the faith' thing - just not involving MY health issues. Still, I know what you mean. The 'why' & 'why not' sometimes bombards me. God created the universe, so why won't He do this-or-that... Why won't He fix so&so...

I don't have the answers. I remind myself that I don't see the entire picture. I don't see the people who are watching me & how I - specifically as a Christian - deal with such&such or so&so. I don't see the positive things that are going on because of my negative situation. It's hard to be sally-freakin-sunshine all the time, but I have to try to focus on how to glorify God through the 'garbage' times as well as the good ones. It just ain't all about me ... & I have to remind myself of that all the time.

AND I keep going back to "Be Still, and know that I am God." For those of us that do have faith in God, that has to be enough. Our promised eternity has to be enough - the ultimate 'future' to look forward to - for us to go through whatever this life has to throw at us.

3. Thank you and you are right. Look at how Jesus suffered. We all have crosses to bear for sure.

Life is good for the most part for me just a rough patch.

thanks

4. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Oh Dizzy I can relate, someone yelled incoming and I forgot to DUCK!

5. joy

joy New Member

Nah, somebody yelled "DUCK" & I said, "no, I prefer chicken" ::)

6. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Keep the faith. God will see you through this. As I just said to someone else here, God will see you through this but in his time. My prayers are with you and I will ask HIM to hurry it up a little.

7. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Joy, I got a chuckle out of your reply. Many years ago on Christmas Eve, I had my usual big party. I asked a family member if he would like some Cold Duck.

Apparently he had no idea what I was talking about and looked puzzled as he replied, "Yes, but could you please heat the duck up!"

I'll never again take a sip of Cold Duck without thinking about that.

8. you're right in His time not mine.

Cold duck that's funny. I remember when i was young back in New York we had something called Malt Duck it was like a combination of beer and wine - i liked it from what i remember. i was very young.

ah the old days :)

9. joy

joy New Member

Oh geez ... Cold Duck is the first 'booze' I got drunk on. Duck & I did a lot of 'staggering' & giggling together, trying to make sure my parents didn't find out we were quickly becoming the 'best' of friends. Good/Bad old days...

10. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

I don't think you're having a crisis of faith, because faith comes from God and He sustains it. I think you mean you're feeling discouraged. Well, who wouldn't? This is a devastating disease.

No one has control over the circumstances of his or her life; control is an illusion. It's just that we've been forced to face it; the so-called 'healthy' people still live in that illusion.

I can tell you that God is not distant, unfeeling or uncaring. He promises He will give you the strength to bear up. I don't know how He will bring you hope to sustain you, but He will. I don't know who He will bring into your life to help you through, but He will.

When I'm feeling really sick, I just try to focus on later or tomorrow, when I'll hopefully feel better. And I keep praying that God will lead me to the people that will help me through this.

:)

11. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

yes I've experienced this as well - just remember that believing and loving God/Jesus does not absolve us from suffering or illness - (don't get suck into some of the modern day preachers on tele and the world who claim 'faith' abolves illness/sickness and gives us prosperity)...Jesus does promise that He will be with us thru this darkness and suffering and He will never abandon us....Jesus' words and the world's words are so very different - don't go on emotions to believe and base your faith but rather Jesus' promises.

hope this finds you better today - you are not alone!

12. thanks all you are so right

i feel a bit better today. took half a day vacation so i can do what i want from now til dr. appt this afternoon.

13. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

I was very active in our church for many years. The past 2 years I have not stepped foot in a church. I lost my first love, but I have been going through some hard times. I gave up on prayer, reading, any of it. I was mad at God which I thought I'd never find myself. I know I had to go through some stuff to come out better and I did. Its a hard thing to go through for a believer, but its so common. You will find it again :-*

14. rev

rev New Member

I'm posting something in a second on a separate thread about why I stopped most of my activity here. You are the kind of person I would love to see come not just to faith, but rather to a stronger, refined, and tested faith.
    Charisse & Kim helped me come back and I know there is something special awaiting them. Alladin and a several others are like sisters and brothers to me. Wouldn't want to face a day without knowing they are there!
    Try not to close your heart. Few questions will be answered. You can be better than you were before because you will have made it through the fight.

15. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Chris, if I can add my 2 cents. Like everyone said above, we don't know why we have this but we do. As far as myself, Faith is at times the ONLY thing that gets me through some days. I've met so many people and have so many good friends through this forum that I would never had met. I would never had met Joy, I would have missed that if it wasn't for this MM. Karl helps me through alot, I would never had the encouragement I've had if we hadn't become friends.
    I've also thought about it (the MM) and have said before, if my children or grandchildren get this and me having it they somehow will find a cure, I'll take it. I would rather go through this than my family. That my friend is my Faith.

16. Thanks all i'm feeling a bit better been praying a lot lately. I'm still hoping an praying i get to drive all the way to work soon but it will come but not on my time ifyou know what i mean.

It'll all work out the way it is supposed to and lucikily i have support from family and friends - and of course you guys!!!

Chris

17. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

prayers for you Chris.... ;)

18. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Carolyn,

I think that also. The only thing worse than having mm is one of my loved ones having it. I never look at this as a curse from God. These diseases come into this world, not of His doing. And yet he uses this situation to bring us together, strenghten us and give us hope.

I saw a d.o. for spinal problems. She told me that without exception no disease leaves you suffering 24/7. There is always a respite. She said a patient will come in one week feeling miserable and hopeless. The next week, the same patient is chipper and doing well. When feeling really bad, think of the future days when you'll feel better. On the better days, savor them and be thankful for them.

19. burd

burd New Member

For those that keep their faith, I envy you. I lost mine years ago although I know I still love God and my beliefs are still strong in my mind, but I have lost my connection and when it comes to faith I feel like I am in an empty room and it's a place I spend as little time in as possible because it's intensely uncomfortable and makes me sad. I will probably change my mind about posting this because it makes me feel edgy and deeply sad seeing it in print in front of me and I will probably erase it later and stick my head in the sand again.

It's not because of illness that I lost my faith, I believe as this...
    I will never believe God ever inflicts anyone with anything as evil as suffering and sickness, never, never, never.

Ok, I said too much already and the only reason I am posting this is because I dare myself to.

20. burd

burd New Member

Thank you. That's so very kind. I sincerely mean that.
    I'll be ok, where's my sand?