Forum etiquette - Hijacking

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Stick, May 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Stick

Stick Guest

Some people (perhaps with good intentions) are turning every post into a a pulpit to push what they think is the latest cure or cause of MM.

When someone creates a post about a topic, please stay on topic. The person who creates a post wants answers, questions and discussion of that topic. Please realize that one you take over their thread, they will not get the infomation they are looking for. It's getting really old.

2. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

amen!

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

First of all, I question the term, "perhaps." I think it evident that in the case you bring up, the poster has without question the best intentions.

Second, I believe it was you who joined in the conversation concerning RLS and elavil, which had nothing to do with Lyrica.

Third, the OP returned any number of posts concerning celiac. So this is no hijack. The thread is still about Lyrica. I believe folks need a certain lattitude when discussing varius symptoms, the successful treatment of which is the primary goal here, not merely subscribing to any particular drug therapy. So in this case, I say objection over ruled.

4. Tara

Tara New Member

I'm with Stick on this one. I'm all for learning about new things, but there are times when the original point gets lost, and sometimes (not all the time, sometimes we intentionally derail threads that are going to a dark place ;) ) the needs of the OP go unmet.

5. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

Everybody needs a Russel Hantzs on their show......Henry is ours

6. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Well, I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread. BUT, since you brought it up, Dolfan,...I love Russell. I think he is my favorite Survivor EVER! What a guy! Did you see it last week when Parvati had TWO immunity idols, TWO mind you. And Russell had NO IDEA! That was a great episide. And you know what, Russell should have won Survivor his first time. He got robbed! What a rip off! I can't wait to see what happens this week. Russell's sure gonna have to find another idol, or his days are over! But you know, he'll probably find one. He's kinda like an idol magnet, you know? What a guy!

Like I said, I didn't mean to hijack the thread on hijacking threads, but Dolfan hijacked it first. I just tailed into what Dolfan said. So if there's fault here, gotta be Dolfan's. But speaking of TV shows in general, who watches House? That's another one we like. And it's all about symptoms and treatments, so its gotta be germane to most any discussion here.

7. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Translation: if any of you think you have possible answers that might help someone's problems, please don't post them. We don't care if you may be correct, we don't don't care if someone else posts incorrect information in response to your post, and we certainly don't care how much proof you have that your information might be appropriate to the original poster's stated condition.

We just care about the original question of the topic, not whether helpful information is posted that is directly related to that topic. If it's not a direct answer to the original question, forget it.

It's getting really old. And that's what we care about.

8. June-

June- New Member

It's a nice thought, thanks for the reminder, Stick. But ... when you post on a public forum you get what you get. Sometimes the answer you have been seeking doesn't come 'properly packaged' but if it turns out to be the answer you desperately need, who the heck cares. At least I didn't. Frankly if I had know what question to ask, I'd have found my answer much sooner but I didn't and most of us don't. But I see your point to. Part of it is personality. Some people like things more orderly than others. Personally, I am just pleased when anyone takes the time to answer at all.

9. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Who decides what the needs of the OP are?

If I post, "Gee, the accelerator pedal on my Toyota keeps sticking, and my Toyota doctor said that I have an idiopathic condition that causes my foot to slam down on the pedal without my knowing it,and gave me medication, which will keep my foot from slamming down on the pedal--is anybody else taking this medication?" should the topic then be confined to the medication in question?

Or should someone dare to post--and DISCUSS--something that has been proven to be the REAL cause of the problem for many others?

10. Tara

Tara New Member

I think the OP determines what his or her needs are, hence the questions they choose to ask.

11. Tara

Tara New Member

And I'd like to know where I've ever said that we should not be able to discuss things that may offer help to other people. What I'm really asking is that we try to remain respectful. You read a whole lot into my post that wasn't there.

12. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

Amen Stick...
    Amen Tara...
    I agree 110%.

13. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

good thoughts about helpfulness - however, please beg pardon as I am attention defecit and do go off subject but usually about a bird or my sheep - ruby lynne or ....something not treatments :)

14. Tara

Tara New Member

Look! Shiny! Love you, A.
    A natural progression of a thread is one thing, it's just all the bickering.

15. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

16. Stick

Stick Guest

First, this post is not about the lyrica post, I did not name any posts or names of members, you did. I was just tryitng to remind people try to be aware of this issue without going to your level. I will not get into a nassman style debate with you. Far as I"m concerned you just proved your not worth the effort. In fact keep posting all you want because I will no longer reply to any of you drivel.

Second, I didn't bringup restless legs in the lyrica post in the first place someone else did. I was meerly pointing out that some medications namely antidepressents have been know to cause RLS.

Third, very mature Hank, just proves my point even more.

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

this forum is for treatments and symptoms but MOST importantly support and sometimes a listening ear (no pun)

18. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Stick, could you please stick to the topic? ;)

19. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Aren't we all just being a bit too picky over small details? ???

Stick: I understand your concerns...honestly. Although I haven't read the "thread
    in question", conversations generally morph/evolve as they progress...it's a natural
    thing (to a degree).

IMO, if the Originating Poster (aka "OP") is not objecting to the shift in discussion
    then it's not too big a deal. If the OP wants the topic to stay 100% ON topic, then
    they need to step back in and bring the discussion back on topic and away from the
    secondary topic. That, or start a new thread for the second topic.

Agreed...it is a balancing act, and one most everyone on this forum does quite well with.

Mike

20. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Ifish,

It seems that Stick was trying to suggest -- somehwat diplomatically -- to "certain" posters that things might be better if they toned down their rhetoric and did not "take over" threads by overzealously advocating their beliefs about what does and doesn't work. The idea is that it would be a kinder way to do it tahn simply saying, "Dear X, Y and Z..." which would have been an overt call-out.

Chances are, if someone was sensitive to Stick's initial post it's because it was directed at them :)