Flu shot this year

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Intrepid, Oct 26, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Are you getting one?

1. Yes

52.5%
  2. No

37.5%
  3. Unsure

10.0%
  1. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I am unsure about my flu shot. Are you getting one or have you had one already?

2. survivedit

survivedit New Member

I will get one. I'm going to get the shingles one, too since I'm about a senior citizen now. :D

3. burd

burd New Member

Yes. Just like I have for many years.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I am so hesitant this year. I don't know why.

5. burd

burd New Member

Have you had them before?

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I have had a flu shot for the last 4 years. It's free.

7. burd

burd New Member

Why the hesitation this year? Have you heard something disconcerting about the serum or did someone you know have a bad reaction?

8. Mystical Wombat

Mystical Wombat New Member

Let your body do the work.

9. burd

burd New Member

I've done that too many times wombat. :D When my immune system couldn't fight it off, the virus was vicious.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Last year the H1N1 addition freaked me out and I waited till the end of November to get my flu shot. This year several of my co-workers complained of sore arms, two got sick after the shot (cold, body aches, low grade fever).

I think it's a mental block. I am not too keen on vaccinations on the whole but the last time I got the flu (about 8 years ago) it just about did me in!

11. Mystical Wombat

Oh yes....if your immune system is compromised, that's a different story. But if you can fight the bugger off, you are much the better for it, down the track.

12. Mystical Wombat

I'm a natural sort of animal.

13. burd

burd New Member

Hmmm, I wonder if that is why for the first time with flu shots, last year my arm hurt like hell for about a day and I felt a general malaise. It was short-lived and worth not being ravaged by a full-blown flu virus. I'm no wuss but I'll take the discomfort of the shot over what the flu does to me. My SIL is successful with drinking 3 cups of green tea a day boosted with antioxidants and big doses of vitamin C and seriously regimented healthy eating for keeping the flu at bay, and she deals with the public every day, but I'm not good with regimented stuff like that. I try to make healthy choices but not enough to beat that virus and I'd rather just take the shot.

14. burd

burd New Member

And cute as a bug. ;)

Yes, I agree, natural is the best way to go, but I don't have the time or frame of mind for that kind of diligence. :D

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Last year the H1N1 thing was added for the first time. It made lots of arms sore and caused a general sense of malaise. I was fine though.

16. burd

burd New Member

Will it be the same this year, with the H1N1?

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Yeah the on-site nurse (even the one at my university) said it is the same as last year. I don't know if it is to fight off a new strain of the influenza virus but they contain the H1N1 also...just like last year.

18. Mystical Wombat

[thank you ma'am]

19. fizzixgal

fizzixgal New Member

I had mine about 3 weeks ago. Then had a CBC drawn less than 24 hours later and they found definite lymphopenia -- which returned to normal a week later and has been normal since. I also did have some flulike symptoms starting a few days later, both last year and this. I figure it must be the H1N1 component. But a minor reaction is MUCH better than getting the flu.

20. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I had my flu shot early this year, along with the whooping cough vax. Haven't had so much as a sniffle.