Favorite Scripture?

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Titus, Jan 8, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

We had this thread last year and I loved it. What is your favorite scripture. Of course, mine keeps changing as the Spirit leads me to focus on different things. Tonight this verse is on my mind:

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth
    Romans 1:16

2. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

Oh that is a good one!

Here's one of my favorites: "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand." (John 10:28 NIV)

It is very comforting to hear the Lord tells us once we are His no one can take us from Him.

3. Alfie

Alfie New Member

Kim,
    Mine is "Men are that they might have joy." (LDS scipture)
    As, you say, it changes with time. I am thinking this as I am in a January funk and need to be reminded.

4. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

"...to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen. " Eph 3:19-21 - my favorite for the day

5. firstlove

firstlove New Member

The Lord has given me this as my "life verse"-but I'm like the rest of you=when Jesus is speaking to me-a verse I paid little attention to, will sudenly become, exactly what I need to hear.

PSALM 91

1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High
    shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD,
    He is my refuge and my fortress:
    my God; in him will I trust.

3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler,
    and from the noisome pestilence.

4 He shall cover thee with his feathers,
    and under his wings shalt thou trust:
    his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night;
    nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

6 nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness;
    nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7 A thousand shall fall at thy side,
    and ten thousand at thy right hand;
    but it shall not come nigh thee.

8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold
    and see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge,
    even the Most High, thy habitation;

10 there shall no evil befall thee,
    neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, Mt. 4.6 · Lk. 4.10
    to keep thee in all thy ways.

12 They shall bear thee up in their hands,
    lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. Mt. 4.6 · Lk. 4.11

13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder:
    the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. Lk. 10.19

14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him:
    I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.

15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him:
    I will be with him in trouble;
    I will deliver him, and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him,
    and show him my salvation.

6. tm53

tm53 New Member

For today

Matthew 6 particularly 31-34 NIV

31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

7. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

Oh the Bible Scripture is incredible. Wonderful. And Psalm 91 is a real favorite of mine. And tm53, right now I am studying the Book of Matthew. So this is very appropos. Keep posting. It's so encouraging and uplifting.

8. tm53

tm53 New Member

Matthew and Mark are two of my favorite books in the whole Bible.

I feel they are packed with an incredible amount of information and wisdom. I spend more time in them than any other books I'd say.

9. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

Oh yes! I held a Bible study on Mark a couple of summers ago and it was life changing for everyone!

10. Titus

Titus New Member

I always read the Gospel of Luke during the month of December because of how it tells of the birth of Jesus.

But here is one of my favorite verses from Luke:

Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Luke 12:32

11. Cara

Cara New Member

OH I love this, keep doing this...Right now I am stuck on ringalings, its on my refrigerator!! (Corinthians). Thanks so much!

12. Steve333

Steve333 New Member

here i am! i stand at the door and knock. if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, i will come in and eat with him and he with me. REVELATION 3:20

13. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

Oh I know! I was given a gift of a beautiful cross that has Luke 2 on it and it hangs on my wall. Luke is also very special to me at Christmas time.

14. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

And good one Steve. I am sure waiting for His return!

I am glad that everyone is enjoying this. I am too. The Word is always uplifting and encouraging isn't it?

15. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

Ohhh .. I definitely found the right forum :D

I have a wonderful little book of daily inspirationals by Max Lucado, "Grace for the Moment" Volume II.

Here in one excerpt I really love. (I can't narrow it down to just one favourite).

GOD GOES WITH US

"I am with you and will watch over you whever you go." (Genesis 28:15)

When God calls us into the deep valley of death, he will be with us. Dare we think that he would abandon us in the moment of death? ... Would the shepherd require his sheep to journey to the highlands alone? Of course not. Would God require his child to journey to enternity alone? Absolutely not! He is with you!

"My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest". (Exodus 33:14)

What God said to Jacob, he says to you: "I am with you and will watch over you whereever you go" (Genesis 28:15)

What God said to Joshua, he says to you: "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Joshua 1:5)

16. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

17Though the fig tree should not blossom
    And there be no fruit on the vines,
    Though the yield of the olive should fail
    And the fields produce no food,
    Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
    And there be no cattle in the stalls,

18Yet I will exult in the LORD,
    I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.

from Habakkuk 3
    no matter how bad our circumstances seem, yet we can rejoice in our salvation!

17. DBE

DBE New Member

Jesus Wept.
    John 11:35

Know that God weeps with you.

18. naturelady

naturelady New Member

Here's the one that keeps going through my head lately...

Matthew 6:34

Jesus said...

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about it's own things. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble." (NKJV)

19. Titus

Titus New Member

When I first became a Christian (March 31, 1999) I was drawn to one verse in the Gospel of John. At the time I was just so joyful and overwhelmed with my salvation. I was also very ill and being treated at Mayo Clinic. I remember reading scripture and always turning to this particular one after I was finished reading.

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written. John 21:25

20. Titus

Titus New Member

Some people have a way with words. These two sayings sum up many scriptures. I'm not sure who wrote them, but how true they ring.

God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called. (makes me think of Moses)

Man's way leads to a hopeless end....God's way leads to an endless hope (Doesn't that just want to make you praise Him)