Exploring the Bible in 66 days.

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Titus, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

This thread will contain a new scripture each day for 66 days. We will start with Genesis and work through to Revelation. I hope you are blessed by this thread. You can add a favorite scripture from each day's book and we'll truly explore the Word of God.

GENESIS

The book of Genesis records God's creation of the world and his desire to have man, his creation, set apart to worship him and have fellowship with him.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
    Genesis 1:27

2. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

"God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance. So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God." Genesis 45:7-8a

(Joseph speaking to his brothers who had sold him into slavery in Egypt, after he had become second only to Pharoah, and the brothers came looking for food in time of famine.)

3. Cathy

Cathy New Member

So God created man in His own image, in the image and "likeness" of God.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

EXODUS
    The book of Exodus records the events of Israel's deliverance from Egypt and their development as a nation.

And God spoke all these words: I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me.20: 1-3

5. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Exodus 15:11
    "Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?"

6. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Exodus 6:2-3 "God also said to Moses, "I am the Lord. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty..."

7. rev

rev New Member

"God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Issac, and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them." Exodus 2: 24-25

8. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

LEVITICUS

"For I am the LORD your God; you shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and you shall be holy, for I am holy."

Leviticus 11:44

9. Titus

Titus New Member

LEVITICUS

Leviticus was written as a guidebook of holy living for the Hebrews. It served as a handbook for the priests and Levites outlining their duties in worship.

A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord.
    Leviticus
    27:30

10. Titus

Titus New Member

NUMBERS

The book of Numbers tells the story of how Israel prepared to enter the Promised Land. The setting was the vast desert of the Sinai region, and lands just south and east of Cannan. It tells of how God's chosen people turned from him in sin, time and time again. And how our loving but just God kept His promises.

Now Moses and Aaron and the chosen leaders called together the whole community of Israel on that very day. All the people were registered according to their ancestry by their clans and families. Numbers 1:17-18

11. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Leviticus: From the introduction in the NIV: A key statement for the entire book is "Be holy, because I am holy." (11:44,45)

Numbers: "Throughout the 38 years of wandering in the desert, one thing became clear to Isreal--God's constant care for them. He miraculously supplied the Israelites with manna, water and quails for the 40 years in the desert. God loved and forgave his people continually even though they rebelled against him and their leaders."

12. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Numbers 21:5: "And the people spake against God, adn against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is ther any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread."

Although God had provided wonderfully for them time and time again--they were not thankful for what they had. They were not content--they wanted more. I see myself in this--I have a fairly decent day--but I want more--rather than being thankful for what God has granted me.

Willie Marie

13. Titus

Titus New Member

DEUTERONOMY

The book of Deuteronomy reminds the people of what God has done and encourages them to keep close to Him as they reach the Promised Land.

Understand, therefore, that the Lord your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and constantly loves those who love him and obey his commands. Deuteronomy 7:9

14. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Deut. 31:6
    "Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them; for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

The Lord is always there--through EVERYTHING. I couldn't make it without Him!

Willie Marie

15. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Deuteronomy: This is where we find the ten commandments. Moses told the people to "love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength" in order to continue to enjoy God's blessing. Moses also emphasized the fact that to keep their relationship right with God, the people had to teach their children to love the Lord and obey his commandments. from the introduction to Deuteronomy in the NIV

Wow! God's word is ageless. What was given to men then is needed today. What we read in the scriptures applies to our everyday life.

16. AnnieKYOH

AnnieKYOH New Member

"The name Yahweh appears for the first time in verse 3 in Deuteronomy, and it occurs more than 220 times." (Dr. Constable). Yahweh "the One who causes to be". The Hebrews believe that if they place their trust in Yahweh, then they will be provided for. We can all place our trust in Yahweh to provide for us.

17. Titus

Titus New Member

JOSHUA

The book of Joshua tells the story of Israel's conquest of the Promised Land. Trust and guidance from God brings victory. Out of possibly a million people, Joshua and Caleb were the only two who left Egypt and entered the Promised Land.

Go through the camp and tell the people to get their provisions ready. In three days you will cross the Jordan River and take possession of the land the Lord your God has given you. Joshua 1:11

18. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Must have been an anxious and exciting time for the Israelites to FINALLY get to where they were headed, God's Promised Land for them. They had been given instructions and Law for them to follow, Joshua was leading them now, after Moses's death. They were going from the wilderness to a new life in a land of milk and honey, but aren't changes, new jobs,new tasks, new addresses always scarey?

"This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein; for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success. Have not I commanded you? Be STRONG and of good COURAGE; be NOT AFRAID, neither be dismayed: FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD IS WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO." Joshua 1:8-9

Another attribute of God - omnipresence.

19. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Joshua and Caleb: I love those two names together so much that we named our sons Joshua and Caleb.

Before Joshua died, he reminded the people of God's covenant promises to them. He instructed the people to keep on loving and obeying God. "Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve... But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (24:15)
    Introduction to Joshua, NIV

20. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Joshua 1:9: "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong adn of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."

Once again we see the constant reminder that the Lord our God is always with us no matter where we go.

Willie Marie