eng? water test?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by kellie, Oct 3, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. kellie

kellie New Member

ok...quick question...What is the eng..test..where they shoot the cold/warm water in your ear...I know that much..but what are 'good' results and what are bad results? and what does the water do? is vertigo a good sign or bad with the test...dizzy one side and not much the other? what does this all mean? ???

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

The water and/or air are supposed to cause dizziness because it is not normal to have these things in our ear.

If you do NOT get dizzy, it typically means there is damage to the inner ear/vestibular system.

A doctor is better qualified to make the test interpretation.

3. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Kellie

The warm and cold water are trying to get your vestibular sytem all worked up. If you get dizzy that is usually a good thing. It shows that all or part of your vestibular system is functioning. If you do not get dizzy then there is damage to the system.

I had 50% damage in my right ear, but still got dizzy, just not as much as a "normal" system would.

Hope this was helpful]
    Tuck

4. kellie

kellie New Member

so being dizzy is good during the eng?

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Yes

6. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

Like Linda said - yes. Although when you are the one the feels dizzy and sick because of the water in your ear it doesn't feel like it is a good thing. :-\

One of my ears was better than the other one - the left ear (my effected ear) wasn't nearly as bad as the right ear.

7. kellie

kellie New Member

ok...but what if i had the gent put in to kill the nerve...then that would be bad if i was dizzy right?

8. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

It's possible the gent injection(s) didn't completely kill the nerve.

9. kellie

kellie New Member

So if the gent works...i shouldnt be dizzy during the test? right? since the gent is suppose to kill the nerve? I am so confused!!

10. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

If you have vestibular damage, you should not get dizzy.

11. kellie

kellie New Member

thank you linda..I go back in tomorrow, if no sign of the gent working...do you think that...before they put more gent in, they will do a water test...i totally hate those

12. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Kellie -

How are you feeling daily?

I know if it was me, I would want the test just to see how the results compared to previous tests. But if I'm feeling okay most of the time, I would not want the test.

13. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

You can still get dizzy if the balance nerve is not completly destroyed from the gent injections.

Then you have to decide if you want to get a VNS to cut that nerve, but sometimes they don't get it all and sometimes they can grow back, but those are situation.