Elderly parents

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by HeadNoise, Dec 5, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. notgivingup

notgivingup New Member

Praying for you Sherry and your parent's :-*

Janet

2. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Thanks for your prayers, PMs and emails. It's not over till it's over.

Really depressed yesterday.

Mom's doctor told her (an 86 year old, very conservative in her lifestyle - and he know this because he is a distant cousin) to go out and get drunk and spend her money. Sheesh! Good job consoling your elderly dying patient who can hardly eat or make it to the store.

3. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

Sherry- You've spoken to your mother countless times about Jesus - now I suggest you continue to pray alone and with steve and with the countless others who are praying but spend these last moments as her daughter - she knows how you feel about Christ and your wishes for her but if she's not ready or won't receive than I pray and hope you spend these last moments and cherish this time (never quit praying) but maybe focus on your relationship with your mother and make memories you can hold onto for the future when she's no longer with you - Jesus is the one to work miracles - not you love xoxo

4. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

I am praying T, you are right.

I just can't stop crying. :'( :'( :'(

5. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

sherry - I've got you

check your text

xoxo

6. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Thanks love. I need somebody to "have" me! :(

7. Titus

Titus New Member

We're all here for you Sherry. The Holy Spirit can and does work miracles. It is He who softens the hearts. Jesus has your hand and will be there for you. I'm praying for both your parents. God knows your heart's desire and He will comfort you.

8. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

I visited my father in the nursing home yesterday, thinking I would have a little chat with him, at least. But not only did he not know who I was (which he hasn't for a year or so) he really didn't even seem to be aware I was there. I sat on his bedside holding his hand. He was interested in the cord that switches the light off and on. Each time he managed to get a good enough grip on it to pull it, he was AMAZED that it made the light turn on! He was like an infant staring at the mobile above its crib or looking at the ceiling light. Gosh, it was pathetic! Later in the day I visited again and it was after dinner. He was sitting in his wheelchair in the common area and was more alert and responsive to our presence. He was able to count the number of candies in a baggie that my mother had brought him - 7 candies.

My mother actually came back home with us to visit here for 5 days! I didn't think she would actually do it. She has not been here for so long, and not feeling well..... This morning she even agreed to go to church with us and many people who had been praying for her, came up and introduced themselves and said they were praying. The pastor and the music minister also came up to her and talked. I don't know what she thought of all of that -- she always says what she thinks is what I want to hear. So it is hard to determine what she really believes. Anyway, it was a good morning. We spent the afternoon looking at old slides that Daddy took decades ago and had been in the closet for ages. She enjoyed that and I have been fixing some of her old favorite foods that we had as a kid. I hope she is having a good time.

Tomorrow she is going to work with me and it will be nice for me because I sit alone all day and get very lonely. She will have a comfortable chair to sit in and read or do her puzzles and we can have lunch together.

I am to drive her home on Wednesday. I am concerned about driving that far since I have not done that for years. But hopefully she will keep me alert. Coming back alone will be another challenge.

Thanks for your continued prayers.

9. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Sherry - I'm glad you have some special time with your mom. :) :)

10. Titus

Titus New Member

Oh, Sherry. Your post made me joyful and sad at the same time. God bless you for caring for your parents. You are so strong.

11. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

darlin,

so glad you were able to have some quality time with the folks,
    you are a wonderful daughter. be praying for a safe trip for the 2
    of you on wednesday :-*

12. tm53

tm53 New Member

Well said Intrepid

Tom

13. notgivingup

notgivingup New Member

Sherry..

Will be praying for you, your Mom and Dad. {{HUG'S}}

Janet

14. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

The nursing home has been treating my dad with antibiotics for a respiratory infection. Tonight we get word that he is in the hospital with possible congestive heart failure. Mom is too weak to go visit him. She can hardly sit at the table and eat.

My poor brother, he may lose his job taking off work so much to handle our folks' emergencies and dr appts. I am just so frustrated at not being able to help long distance and not being able to communicate with my brother and mother on the phone. :'(

15. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

My heart goes out to you, Sherry. :-*

16. notgivingup

notgivingup New Member

Prayers and hugs for you Sherry :-*

Janet

17. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Still praying for you and the family, Sherry..... :-*

18. Titus

Titus New Member

Praying for you and your family, Sherry.

19. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Since he has a fever, I guess they have ruled out congestive heart failure as anything serious (most old people have it to some degree, I heard) and he didn't test positive for pneumonia, which is good. But he is not improving on the antibiotics and mentally these changes and upsets in his routine and physical health - he is really not "there" any more. Nobody is home! Gosh, it is so sad!

I really don't want my mother to have to go through the death of my father. She will blame herself somehow. If she hadn't gotten cancer, he wouldn't be in the nursing home, and wouldn't have gotten sick. Of course, that is not her fault. But I just hate to see her grieve over him when she is probably going to be unable to go out of the house any more at this point. If she died first, Daddy would never know and so it is really upsetting that he is very sick now too.

Thanks for listening....

20. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Mom is not able to hold food down very well. But she tells me that she has gained weight when actually she lost 3 lbs in one week. She says she sleeps like a log, but hubbie hears her banging around in the bathroom and water running for a LOOOOOOONG time. She won't take pain meds or sleeping pills but has been caught adding extensions to the waistband of her pants because the tumors are growing bigger.

Keep praying that the Lord would touch her heart! (I put a photo in the Front Porch so you can see their picture if you care to see who you are praying for :))