Does this ease your Tinnitus/Fullness/Brain Fog/Constant Tiredness?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Papajoe, Jan 5, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Read the post. Please don't vote until you've tried it.

1. Nope, didn't help a bit.

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. OMG - It DID help ease my symptoms.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. It helped ease my symptoms a lot!

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

As we all know, not everyone here has the our MM/MAV symptoms for the same reason. If you have the above symptoms, I have something you can try that MAY noticeably reduce the symptoms. I especially recommend this to the newer members of our forum, however, please check with your doctor if you have heart problems, blood pressure problems or metabolic problems.

It's simple, and it has a scientific basis, and was recommended to me by my doctor. I'll explain it after I get some responses. I expect that some will say it helps, and that some will say it does not help. Bicarbonate of soda is a common antacid, it's an ingredient in Alka-Seltzer, and many people use it to ease upset stomachs.

Here it is:

Dissolve two teaspoons of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) in four ounces of water and drink it. It'll taste salty, but chase it with plain water and there won't be an after-taste.

Obviously this may help only if you're currently having the symptoms.

After two hours, please post back and let us know whether or not it helped.

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Joe,

If you know, what might be the "scientific basis" of this?" Does it relate in any way to a more alkaline pH in the blood, and if so, how does that affect MM/MAV?

I look forward to postings on this. Your physician surely has some thoughts on this.

--John of Ohio

3. Papajoe

Hi John, I'll post the answer when I get some responses.

4. nassman

nassman Guest

Is there any harm in doing this because I am willing to try to see if it helps my symptoms.

5. Papajoe

There would be harm if you were to make a habit of it by drinking it several times a day for several days. It would cause your blood ph to go out of whack. Drinking one glass is no more harmful than taking a single dose of Alka-Seltzer. Alka-Seltzer is bicarbonate of soda with buffers which make it taste better. I don't recommend regular Alka-Seltzer, it contains aspirin which prevents the effect. Alka-Seltzer Gold does not contain aspirin, and it tastes better because of the buffers, but its very hard to find in stores.

6. June-

June- New Member

That's a lot of sodium for the sodium sensitive isn't it? I believe that used to be a homemade alka seltzer in the old days.

7. Papajoe

Yes, there is sodium, but I'm talking about a one-time trial.

And yes, Alka-Seltzer is bicarb of soda, but it also contains aspirin, which spoils the effect. Alka-Seltzer Gold does not contain aspirin, but it's hard to find.

8. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Papajoe - I didn't vote, because I haven't tried it yet, but I wanted you to know that I bought some Alka-Seltzer Gold yesterday, based on your previous posts!!!

I'm going to give it a try... :D

9. Papajoe

Cool - thanks for letting me know. I hope it works for you, but I know it won't work for everyone. You can vote later based on how you do with the Alka-Seltzer Gold.

10. mikeg

mikeg New Member

I had kidney stones years ago and the doc told me to do this once daily. I asked for how long he said for the rest of my life. He said my uric acid level was very high and this would help. I did it about a week and being 19 years old and not liking the taste i quit.

11. Papajoe

It won't hurt to try one more time, especially if you've got the tinnitus, etc.

btw - I usually have pretty high uric acid, and all I have to say is that gout is a bitch! :'(

And HCTZ increased uric acid levels. During my trial with HCTZ I had gout in both feet so bad that I couldn't walk.

Oh, and Alka-Seltzer Gold is the same thing, but with buffers to keep it from tasting so salty. If you can't find it locally, you can order it from Amazon.com

12. AaronsMom

AaronsMom New Member

I am going to try this, but just wanted to verify 1 tablespoon (not teaspoon) baking soda with 4oz water. Is this right?

13. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I agree with nassman, I'll try anything.

14. Papajoe

Yes, I would try 1 tablespoon. And again, I don't expect it will help everyone, but I will be surprised if it doesn't help one or two of you.

15. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

The amount of pills I am swallowing everyday is starting to freak me, my wife and my kids out. I went to viatiminshoppe to get MSM, c2000, and cal/mag which I've taken for a while now. I'm up to at least 20 pills a day, so a little salty water could'nt hurt.

16. AaronsMom

AaronsMom New Member

I did it. I will let you know what happens....

17. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Here's what my box of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) says:
    Serving size - 1/8 teaspoon
    Sodium - 160 mg

So by my math, one teaspoon of baking soda equals 1,280 mg of sodium. With three teaspoons in a tablespoon, a tablespoon of baking soda would equal 3,840 mg of sodium :eek:
    I think that alone would do me in....

Conversely, here's what's in Alka Seltzer Gold:

Active Ingredients
    Anhydrous Citric Acid - 1000 mg
    Potassium Bicarbonate - 344 mg
    Sodium Bicarbonate (heat treated) - 1050 mg

Inactive Ingredients
    Magnesium Stearate
    Mannitol

Other Information
    -Each tablet contains potassium 135 mg
    -Each tablet contains sodium 309 mg
    -Protect from excessive heat
    -This product does not contain aspirin
    -Alka-Seltzer Gold in water contains principally the antacids sodium citrate and potassium citrate

I just took two tablets in 4 oz of cold water, for a total of 618 mg of sodium. It didn't takse salty at all, and in fact the faint taste was pleasant.

I'll let you know in two hours! :D

18. mikeg

mikeg New Member

I`ll try it but all i have is the box thats been in the fridge about two years.

19. Papajoe

well, it doesn't go bad, but it might taste extra-funky. You might consider getting a fresh box tomorrow ;)

20. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man Menieres symptoms off and on for 3 years, left ear

The box of baking soda I have shows 160 mg of sodium per 1/8 teaspoon. My calculations are over 3500 mg of sodium for one tablespoon. Don't think I want to mess with this as this is as much sodium as I have in a week. I am curious on the responses however.

Be careful out there if you know you are sodium sensitive!!!