Doctors say Cannabis treats Meniere’s disease...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Apr 19, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Hey, dizz, that was really gOOd advice!

8)

€razy stuff, weed, ;D

2. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Miss you Larry, I'll bet you're looking down on us a saying.....

Oh, man...just chill, and have a cold beer!!!

Say hey, to my Papa and Nana, Thank-You.

Carribean would say, take a chill pill, have a drink

Or a , "smoke," and get a grip!!

3. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

cannabis is very strongly estrogenetic, if hyou're a woman who takes or has taken birth control pills or hrt, you're in big trouble is you smoke pot as well

4. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Horsehockey. I will not argue or debate the issue as this forum is not
    for that, but when you are making odd statements like that you should
    provide some research to back it up. In this case, it took me less than
    a minute of research to completely discount your assertions.

This thread should be closed out of respect for Larry, and
    then a new one started.

5. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

First of all, that is the last thing Larry would have wanted!

6. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

I might agree with you on this one...and perhaps I spoke too soon. It just
    chaps my ass to see posts filled with complete BS, but then a new thread
    likely wouldn't be any different.

I retract my comment....CARRY ON!

7. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Theoretically;
    If a woman is past menopause, takes no HRT's and has had a full Hysterectomy......

Alittle bud now & then, Might Be Just the thing.

Hey, Larry is probably in heaven, living with a field of Cannibas all around him!
    His hut might even be made outta the dried stalks....etc.

Hey, Larry, I know you're smiling because we will try to keep this thread going, though not as well as you did!

8)

8. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Researchers study neuroprotective properties in cannabis

Dr. Manny Alvarez, senior managing health editor of FoxNews.com, recently sat down with the Medicine Hunter, Chris Kilham, to find out how it’s being studied.

Dr. Manny: Now from the medical marijuana perspective, as far as the treatment of chronic illnesses, what is it about cannabis that makes it that special?

Medicine Hunter: Well, it seems that there are primarily two things – there's the THC, that's what people associated with getting high. And that appears to have a saliatory effect on the eyes in case of glaucoma. For people who are suffering from chemotherapy and can't eat, it helps to get their appetite back. And we also know that it is a potent pain reliever – and science on that goes back to the 1890s.

But there’s another agent in cannabis that is getting more attention now, and that is called cannabidiol. And this is something that you can swallow by the bucket-full, and it won't get you high at all. But it appears to have profound nerve-protective and brain-enhancing properties. And interestingly enough, it also induces an anti-anxiety effect.

So this appears to be a very important agent, perhaps useful in the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders.

DM: Are they extracting that particular chemical off the marijuana?

MH: There seem to be two pathways that people are taking. You've got G.W. pharmaceuticals in Britain that has come out with a whole cannabis fluid spray. You've got people also isolating cannabidiol and playing with that in the lab.

I don't know how this is all going to settle out – I mean, as a whole-plant person, I'm inclined toward the whole extract. But it does appear that this may also have anti-cancer properties, and that's very intriguing.

DM: Is marijuana addictive?

MH: I would say that people can absolutely become dependent upon it. But not physiologically addictive. And, as you know, that's not just parsing terms – I mean physiological addiction, you go through very grave withdrawal.

But people can become dependent on it just as they can on any substance.

DM: Tell me about this study in the American Journal of Pediatrics talking about pregnant Jamaican women and the use of pot.

MH: Melanie Dreher, who is the dean of nursing at Rush Medical Center in Chicago, did a study in Jamaica. It was actually published in the American Journal of Pediatrics in 1994, but now it's re-circulating because of all the interest in the neuroprotective properties.

Basically, she studied women during their entire pregnancy, and then studied the babies about a year after birth. And what she studied was a group of women who did smoke cannabis during pregnancy and those who didn't. She expected to see a difference in the babies as far as birth weight and neuro tests, but there was no difference whatsoever. The differences that the researchers did notice, that are unexplained and kind of curious are that the babies of the women who had smoked cannabis -- and we're talking about daily use during their pregnancy -- socialized more quickly, made eye contact more quickly and were easier to engage.

We don't know why this is so, but all the old saws of smoking during pregnancy will result in low birth weight did not show up -- at least in the Jamaican study. In U.S. studies where we've seen a similar investigation, women have concurrently been abusing alcohol and other drugs as well.

Alvarez said it’s interesting to note that there may be neuroprotective properties present in cannabis and the cannibidiol extract, but that smoking of any kind in pregnant women is discouraged.

More research is needed when it comes to medical marijuana, he added.

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Interesting post Ifishdizzy. It's to bad in the American study there were so many that were doing more than pot.
    it would've helped back up the information they found in Jamaica.

I wish it didn't make my tinnitus so bad, I would get a MJ card and smoke til the pain went away. I have numerous health issues that are very painul which injesting pot in some form would help.

There is such mixed information of the short and long term effects of smoking pot. It seems like it's a thing/fight/argument between the people wanting to make it legal and those who don't. Do you think the bebefits outweigh the "potential" side effects?

10. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

all drugs should be decriminalized. who are the medical priests, many addicts themselves, to tell us what & what not to injest.

11. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'm just glad there are so many options out there for someone who wants to be clean again when the drug of choice is ruining their lives. I don't know about decriminalization of all drugs, but I do know there should be help for those who need it. I believe that cannabis should be decriminalized though.

12. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

13. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I wonder what my OTO would say.

14. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Constance Gee becomes medical marijuana advocate

For six months, Constance Gee lived under a cloud of depression and fear of the next attack.

It was simply a matter of pressure and time, each building up until all of her perceptions became a jumble and she went crashing to the floor.

“Do you know what a cubist painting looks like, you’re seeing several angles at once?” she said. “Everything kind of shifts.”

Gee, the ex-wife of former Vanderbilt University Chancellor Gordon Gee, was prescribed a cabinet’s worth of medications as she tried to fight the effects of Meniere’s disease, an inner-ear condition that causes severe vertigo and hearing loss.

But even those left her laid up in bed for days in a lethargic fog.

Finally, a visiting friend brought her a small amount of marijuana. Two hits and the symptoms seemed to recede.

“Within seconds, less than a minute, the nausea would be gone,” Gee recalled. “I still had the Meniere’s. But I could buy some time.”

This week, Gee plans to testify about her illness and the benefits she received from medical marijuana to a committee in the state House of Representatives, a monumental development not only for Gee but also for efforts to legalize marijuana on a limited basis.

A bill in the Tennessee General Assembly would legalize marijuana for medical uses, and Gee’s testimony comes amid an effort to show that many people — respected people — are using marijuana to manage a host of illnesses, from Meniere’s to multiple sclerosis to cancer.

Gee will speak about the issue for the first time publicly since her usage was outed in a front-page article in the Wall Street Journal nearly six years ago, part of a chain of events that also included her divorce and her husband’s departure from Vanderbilt. She also has written a memoir detailing her fight with the disease, use of medical marijuana and experience as a university first lady.

The bill is not likely to pass the Republican-led legislature this year. But supporters want to use Wednesday’s hearing to build political support for the measure, hoping that stories like Gee’s will convince lawmakers to take the leap on medical marijuana.

“More and more people have individual experiences with their friends, family members, who are very sick, in pain and dying, that have actually used it, and they have seen for themselves the effect,” said the bill’s sponsor, state Rep. Jeanne Richardson, D-Memphis. “More and more of my colleagues have seen how effective it is, and they have seen it’s not at all dangerous.”

Wave spreads

Sixteen states and the District of Columbia have passed laws allowing marijuana to be sold for medical purposes since the late 1990s. None is in the Southeast, though optimistic supporters have regularly introduced bills in state legislatures.

Richardson filed House Bill 294, the Safe Access to Medical Cannabis Act, more than a year ago. The bill would let doctors and pharmacists issue identification cards to patients with cancer or other debilitating illnesses. Such cards would allow them to purchase marijuana through licensed dispensaries, a system similar to the one used in California and other states where marijuana is legal medicinally.

The bill languished until last Wednesday, when it was taken up by the House Health and Human Resources’ general subcommittee.

Supporters argued the bill would allow the state to regulate the potency of marijuana while expanding patient access to it. Opponents countered that doctors have not been trained to prescribe marijuana and that few medical studies have been performed to assess its value.

Events then took a surprising turn.

The Republican-led subcommittee decided to send the bill out of subcommittee to the full Health and Human Resources Committee. The decision was made on a voice vote — meaning no records exist of how individual lawmakers voted — but supporters seemed to outnumber opponents two-to-one.

Proponents see the vote as the first sign that opinions are changing about medical marijuana, even in Tennessee.

“My colleagues, if it weren’t for political considerations, would pass this,” said Richardson. “Enough of them have come and talked to me privately and admit that this is a good, compassionate bill. They are scared it will hurt them in their re-elections.”
    Clap of thunder

Gee’s medical problems began in October 2004, when she was awakened in the middle of the night by a clap of thunder at the Monteagle vacation home she and Gordon Gee shared.

The sound left her left ear ringing and with pressure building up behind the eardrum. An examination found she had lost hearing in the lower register.

The symptoms suggested Meniere’s disease, an ear condition that affects about 100,000 people a year, typically in middle age. Doctors do not know the exact cause, but trauma and earlier ailments, such as childhood ear infections and allergies, may be contributing factors.

The condition occurs when fluid backs up behind the eardrum. This can lead to hearing loss as well as dizziness, as the ear is one of the body’s primary organs for maintaining balance.

Gee’s condition gradually worsened until February 2005, when she experienced her first “drop attack.” The experience left her retching for hours. The vertigo was so bad that, lying on the floor, she could not lift her head high enough to reach a toilet.

“A sumo wrestler has his foot on the back of your head,” she recalled. “It’s just the whole world is spinning.”

Gee was so afraid she began to hyperventilate. Her extremities went numb, and she began to fear she was having a heart attack.

The attacks continued through the spring. At her friend’s suggestion, she began smoking marijuana in May of that year. She said she did so discreetly, in a bathroom in the chancellor’s residence, taking one or two hits to put the nausea at bay long enough to eat, to walk her dog, to watch a movie.

Gee’s husband did not approve, she said. She kept it a secret until one day, relieved after another bout with the disease, she told a member of the household staff why her appetite had suddenly returned.

The staffer reported it to the Vanderbilt administration, which reprimanded her.
    Hearing destroyed

By then, Gee had undergone two surgical procedures to try to relieve her symptoms by inserting a toxin into the portion of the ear responsible for balance.

The second surgery destroyed her hearing in her left ear and left her with permanent balance problems. But it also made her symptoms bearable.

The Wall Street Journal learned of the reprimand while investigating the Gees’ spending during a renovation of the chancellor’s mansion. The 2006 article stressed her use of marijuana in the chancellor’s mansion and contrasted that to Gordon Gee’s teetotaler habits.

Six months later, the Gees filed for divorce. Gordon Gee moved back to Ohio State University, where he had been president in the 1990s. Constance Gee continued to teach a course in art and philanthropy at Vanderbilt until a year and a half ago.

Constance Gee told reporters at the time that her marijuana use had been medicinal. But she largely avoided interviews, saying she did not want to embarrass her husband or the university.

“But there’s always been a part of me that regretted not speaking up,” she said, “and frankly I was afraid.”

Gee still uses marijuana on occasion, when the symptoms of Meniere’s flare up. Friends supply her, she said.

Now living near Five Points in East Nashville, Gee said she hopes telling the story of her experience will cause a few more lawmakers to change their minds about medical marijuana.

“It wouldn’t have gotten to committee if a few minds, at least, hadn’t been changed,” she said. “It’s incremental, and we’ll keep doing the best we can with it.”

Contact Chas Sisk at 615-259-8283 or [email protected].

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I think it's important in today's society to keep this thread going.

I think it should be legalized so that those crazy, &@$@:(/)('s who manufacture synthetic marijuana, and are killing people can be stopped.

I also think Larry would want the thread to stay alive!
    I can picture him smiling down on us.

Just my opinion based on history, past experience, and.....current events!

Also, a big synthetic drug raid on a nearby Exxon, and a Fed., raid on the Owners property, scary stuff, that.
    It was in the newspapers.
    Nice guys, too.
    They weren't even doing anything wrong, go figure.

:)

Shalom

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Are you talking about "spice"?

17. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

18. Nathan

Nathan New Member

"Spice" is a synthetic cannabis brand, yes. Synthetic cannabis is also often referred to as "Spice", too, even though it may be produced under brands such as Kronic or K2

19. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I understand that it has some pretty serious potetial side effects. I also know that some people will do anything to get "high". I wish they'd just legalize cannabis and tax it. Geez, it's better for you than drinking excessively - don't cha think?

20. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Mmmm, I think it can & it also cant be. I think it's subject to a whole range of variables & factors - stages of brain development, how the individual reacts to cannabis or specific strains of cannabis (indica, sativa, hybrid etc), psychological states, pre existing psychological disorders, & whether or not it's in moderation & consumed responsibly etc etc.