Do you drink alcohol?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by sirlanc, Nov 16, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Do you drink alcohol?

1. Never touch the stuff

48 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. One to three drinks a week

19 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Four to Seven drinks per week

17 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Over Seven Drinks per week

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. One to three drinks a month

19 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. winewench

winewench I'm not drunk, I just walk with an accent!

Red wine has histimines because it is fermented on the skins. White wine does not, although white wine contains more sulphur than red wine (preserves the color).

Just sayin'...

Sue

2. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Are the histimines good for you?

3. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

I just can't seem to develop the same fondness for whites that I do for reds. I don't mind a nice riesling, sauternes or guewertz while picking at appetizers or with dessert, but I've just never been able to get into chardonnays or pinot grigios.

Though I do have to admit that vinho verde is pretty good.

4. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Wino mate...ya gotta try a few aussie whites ;D Sauvignon Blanc, Verdelho and lots of other fresh, dry whites to try :D

I love red wine but it does not love me :( Mind, that won't stop me having a couple every now and then....Merlot, Cab Sav etc

5. winewench

winewench I'm not drunk, I just walk with an accent!

For Rottiesrule (I have a Rottie, too and he does truly rule - best dog I've ever had) - histimines are what people are allergic to. That's why we take antihistimines for allergies. :)

6. AllisonTaylor

AllisonTaylor New Member

I'm totally with Wino and Goomeri Spinner - love a red any red really just don't give me sparkling shiraz but of recent times I have been enjoying Aussie whites ... semillon sauvignon blanc varietal the fav. That's easy when you are an aussie but we truly make great wines ... It's one thing that is very hard to give up but am not sure it is a horrible trigger and because of that I continue to consume.

7. Kerry

Kerry New Member

I drank WAY more this weekend than I normally do. No effect on my MM but had a bit of a headache yesterday from 3 bottles of wine (between 4 of us) sitting in the hot tub.

8. Roy G

Roy G Do you know how hard it is to fake your own death?

I'm not really sure if it even is a trigger for me. I have at most one drink every few months, usually when the social setting calls for it.

9. Wino

Ironically, my absolute favorite wine --in terms of bang for your buck -- is an Aussie wine. Tir Na Nog grenache retails for about $29 a bottle (used to be $24) over here in Florida. It's outside of the usual price range I shop at (I like to find value wines between $10-$20), but it's never failed to impress anyone I've served it to.

The combination of hot-tubbing for too long and red wine would have put me straight to sleep.

10. floss

floss New Member

I think an all night of drinking brings on a big attack within a few days for me.
    So I went from having a big night maybe 4 times a year, to none lol.

11. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

Time to get some Newbie fresh inputs on this!

12. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Alcohol for me was never a problem in fact I can't recall ever having a MM attack while under the influence.

Larry

13. dizzyallthetime

dizzyallthetime New Member

Yes , I love to have a few drinks and I love to hang out with friends and family and just have a few drinks/beer . My hangovers are worse , and I only do it when I know I don't have a Dr appt or anything important to do the next day . If I have taken a valium a few days before I won't and if I am only feeling "foggy" ( I almost always feel foggy) . But I also look at it this way , I have given up so much in my life these past few years and I normally never feel good , so what the heck .

14. Wino

When my most recent flare-up started bothering me in June, I quit drinking all together for awhile. Not because the booze was a trigger for me, but rather because my body was having a hard enough time trying to heal itself from the hydrops, and I didn't want to give it a separate war to fight with recovering from a hangover. But I started feeling well enough a couple of weeks ago to re-introduce some booze. I mostly had a couple of beers here and there, but I went back to wine this week. I feel just fine.

15. kzoodog

kzoodog New Member

I love beer and sake. I don't want to believe that alcohol is a trigger. But I have had attacks next morning I had drinks, so I guess that alcohol does trigger an attack though not always.

In terms of beer, I don't think I get along with porter/stout. I can tolerate other types better (pale ale, lagger, etc.).

16. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

Love having My Vino Cut back alot Only on wkends.....................

17. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse New Member

I may be unique here. First, in that I do not like alcohol, never really have. Second, that it is one of the few things that HELPS me when I am having a Meniere's attack. Better than Valium, which I also take in lieu of alcohol and on rare occasions in addition to it. My Valium dose is large compared to what I have read here--10mg. And sometimes I need two in the course of a rugged day. Alcohol helps but only in rather large amounts, such as a bottle of red wine or even two on horrible days. Whiskey also seems to help, again given enough. Beer, vodka, gin, rum, white wine, not so much at all, so I avoid them.

Until six months ago, I had to resort to alcohol fairly often as I have a really, really severe case of bilateral Meniere's disease, over 8 years now. After two heart attacks in the last six months, I have had to cut out the alcohol, as my cardiologist believes it is dangerous for someone with my cholesterol, elevated blood pressure and clogged arteries. So just Valium now, and the quality of life aspect is much worse, but I guess at least I am still alive.

And I have never had any adverse effects from alcohol, regardless of the quantity involved. No hangovers. No headaches. I suspect I must have some sort of genetic protection there, but who knows?

I do know I am not alone, as several of my Meniere's doctors (yes, like many of you I suspect, I have sought help from numerous sources given the diabolical nature of our ailment) have told me they have patients who also find alcohol to be very helpful. One of them is even a surgeon who has Meniere's and drinks a very large beer before he does surgery! (Not sure I would find that reassuring myself.)

On the other hand, before I got Meniere's, I was a HUGE coffee drinker. The stronger the better; I had a job where I often worked 12-hour days, 7 days a week. Since Meniere's, I can have maybe a weak coffee or a decaf in the morning, and that is it. Any more and my symptoms escalate, and anything good and strong and I would almost surely have an attack.

So, long answer to a short question.

18. Right about now i wish i could drink - I need an escape from reality!!!

:)

Chris

19. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

Haven't had a drink in 33 years.Don't miss it either.

20. deadeye

deadeye New Member

4 coors light beers in the evening to wind down. definitely can't drink like i used to.