Do we suffer needlessly

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by bulldogs, May 28, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Gert:

please, there is an entire thread dedicated to the hidden boxes in the front portch section of .org and why some stay lit and some hidden.

I wanted to delete the thread because it was getting out of hand and ran it course and was startig to get off topic and personal in many ways. Once again don't assume why I wanted to delete the thread. It was getting argumentative and very very very very very misunderstood. Even long before that page you inferred or insinuated that there was some sort of inside joke between me and someone else and it was all a joke or game.

If you would like to look in the front porch section of the forum there is an entire thread about the little boxes and why many people/mostly the ladies hide or don't activate theirs when they log on an the men just log on and stay lit and activated. I believe the thread was started by Greg/Mr Dizzy.

Enjoy your night---- I am a little perplexed why you are so mad, upset, and hostile.

I pray for everybody on this forum and will do so again tonight including you and at 8:45 mass tomorrow morning.

Gert:
    the little boxes discussion has been discussed on this forum, go check out the thread on the front porch.

Please, I encourage you not to misinterpret anything or misread anything about what you think people are thinking. That is very dangerous and not healthy, I also wish you would not make assumptions about why I wanted to delete the thread, it was getting to be a very misnderstood thread, not what it was intended to do. Your initial assumption about it being an an inside joke was also wrong.

At one point today I looked at the big board and over 50% of te threads were about doom and gloom and people talking about very disturbing things, it saddened me, all I wanted was to offer hope, help.

Gert:

I am very glad the surgery went well for granddaughter

2. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Hi Joe! I think you could use one of these right about now my friend ---------> (((hug))) :-*

3. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

No need to defend, I accept hugs from all beautiful women thanks ladies. Been a long day and I am sleeping on the couch tonight. Almost 12-13 hour drive today and barely made it to the finish line. But made it. Now I have to get this house cool, it's hot as shit and my balance sucks.

Here's to hugs right back at you.

Thanks ladies. My beautiful friends.

4. AnneT

AnneT New Member

No! Don't kill this thread! It's great to have bulldog barking. The message I got here is one of hope, and someone is ferociously on our side, and that maybe that safety net (killing the ear) is something I need to at least get more educated. Hopefully I won't need it but it decreases the stress a bit to have contingency plans.

For today, I am trying denial: I will never have another vertigo attack so I may as well get on with enjoying things. (but you bet I'm keeping my meds and dr appointments just in case)
    AnneT

5. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

I ... and ... but ...... I ......

Nuff said ....

6. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

Uhoh Sarina .... have you been spying on me? :eek: I have my blinds closed, but still that is kinda creepy. Currently I am sipping a Granita that I got from PJ's a little while ago.

I couldn't stand it ... I needed a sweet fix ... one of the pastry kind and I PRAY it doesn't make me sick, as I've been off and on sick all this week. (Dr. put me on the MM and MAV diet ... I broke the rules caffeine and gluten .... sugar too? )

7. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I particularly liked the bit about "three shits to the wind". Made my day.

8. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Chuckle. Mine too :)

9. thornapple

thornapple New Member

10. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Intrepid
    thanks! I'm taking a bit of imovane during the day and have been able to eat a bit more. Not the best stuff for me (dairy issues) but every bit helps I think.

11. kay

kay New Member

Bulldog: I am sorry if I offended you with my earlier posts about drinking. I have posted this before, so you might have read it. But, here is my story:
    I am 51 years old and have had symptoms of MM since I was 28 years old. I was not actually diagnosed until I was 35. It has been a very difficult road to travel. At 28, I was first told I had either a brain tumor or MS. I was a young mother recently separated from my husband of 5 years. My daughter was only 3. Everything I knew about brain tumors and MS was that they were horrible. I was a teacher and cheerleading coach and I thought my life was over. One night I wrote a very long good-bye to several of my loved ones, taped a message to my sleeping daughter and took out several bottles of valium and blood pressure medicines. I knew my sister would be at my house at 6:30 the next morning. It was approaching 2:00 am and I was so tired of the spinning and loss of balance that I was going to take every one of those pills, rest on the sofa and end it all. Suddenly, the phone rang. It was my best friend. She asked if something was wrong; she had experienced a terrible dream that I needed her. I told her what I was planning. She screamed into the phone, "How dare you? No one gets to decide how easy their lives will be. How dare you give it up because you are dizzy?" She rushed to my home and we talked. Needless to say, I did not take my life that night or attempt to ever do that again. Has it been easy? No. I missed my daugther's National Honor Society Induction because I was too dizzy to walk, I missed several of her cheerleading competitions, and I missed several days of school each year. BUT... I saw her graduate from high school, I saw her graduate with honors from college, I went to work with her on her first day as a teacher---my class room is just one building away. I remarried 7 years ago to a wonderful man. I have gotten a master's degree and I will hopefully retire in 2 years with full benefits. And, yes, I have had days when I can barely make it to the bathroom to throw up, but I have had days when I can work in my yard and grow beautiful roses. I even experienced 4 wonderful years when I did not spin one time. Some days Walmart is out of the question, some days my buggy is full. I could go on and on. This disease is HELL, but you have to find Heaven in small moments. Believe that you have spin free days again. You will have amazing days. I think having MM has made me a better person. I now appreciate things more and I make the most of what is good in my life. Life can be good. Wait and see. And, my prayers and best wishes are for you to find inner peace and happiness. Know we are here to help you.

12. gert157

gert157 New Member

OMG!!
    I will touch on this subject one more time and then no more...... I could give a hoot about the little blue box, who cares?? I sure don't.... It was all a bunch of messin' around........ I don't even care enough to go to the front porch and check it out, it doesn't matter to me..... Joe, I am NOT upset, not at all, I think there was some major confusion here but you read me wrong my friend I am not upset, mad or hostile if that ever happened it would be very clear. You advising me not to misinterpret things people say or misread what I think they are saying holds true for you this evening, because you misunderstood me, totally and I agree it is dangerous and not healthy we must all watch ourselves on that....
    I will encourage you to look at your pm's because you have that a bit confused as well, I insinuated nothing about a private joke, you used those words in response to my confusion about what was being posted, I assumed nothing Joe, you said it was an inside joke, not me, I was just confused, if you reread it I think you will find that to be true.........
    Whew!!!! That post right there is confusing!!!!! Anyway, that is all I have to say about this, it is so not a big deal to me, so many other things to deal with in life, this was nothing short of confusion and misunderstandings which really isn't very hard to do with MM........
    Wishing all a great Memorial Day weekend~~ 90 degrees here, I'll take it~~
    Leanne

13. burd

burd New Member

Pertaining to your original post about people leaving the forum.....
    I participated avidly for years, while I was suffering and searching and trying stuff, and then I did a few years more when I figured it out and I started getting well and feeling more and more "normal" days. The people that made up this place helped me get well. I wanted to help others. I wanted to share my experience in case it could benefit others. I wouldn't shut up about MAV and the misdiagnoses that are rampant and the failures of the health system and ways in which people could help themselves through the process and to let them know they have options to investigate.

I got tired. I got tired of saying the same messages and quoting the same book excerpts over and over. I got tired of very few listening and even in some cases arguing with me. I got tired of spending hours in posts and in private pm's with those that would then ignore all we talked about and be back on the board with the same complaints and questions that had already been covered by others and myself because they didn't want to make sacrifices or changes or put effort out there to help themselves. I also got overwhelmed with the daily grind and trying to keep up with everything else. Then the atmosphere of the forum changed into a place that lost it's camaraderie and cohesiveness and became a place of dissension and significant unpleasantness on a level never seen here before and it has never been the same. Many familiar faces were leaving either for good or rarely come on. And those are the reasons I stopped becoming a regular face around here.

I will never regret helping those that I did. All my time here was worth it for those that I helped. And I will always be grateful for those that were so kind to me, helped me, walked through this whole experience with me. I've made friends that have become friends away from this place.

And if I misunderstood any part of your posts and am off the mark where I took it, I apologize. But it explains where I went and why.

14. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

LOL. ( Not at your response but just at the thing in it's entirety. ) BD is a little inebriated so of course he's going to be susceptible to misunderstanding. I didn't think you were offended Gert or upset. I took your post just as you said "you were messing around."

But as I always respond ... regurgitate even, lol , in the printed word sentences can be taken so many different ways. We're missing a vital part of communication - body language, oh and hand gestures, facial expression and tone of voice ... these all give us the total picture of what a person meant and how they meant it.

I don't think you meant any harm Gert and I don't think BD did either. It was just wires getting crossed with some alcohol. All I can say is .... Don't drink and post .... lmao.

15. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

I enjoy this forum, and I've learned so much with more to learn as I still have questions and ones I'm MORE than certain have already been answered MORE than once. So, I am so thankful and grateful to you guys for having the patience to still answer even though you've done so before with someone else. It means alot to me.

Burd, we all do this. We all go through our lives saying things and assuming no one hears us when, in truth .... we get the attention of people we never even see and never even know it. We would ALL be shocked to find out who comes to our funeral. We just need to see people the same way we see ourselves ... not the broken, flawed mess that we beat ourselves incessantly over ... but the part that is trying to live, get through the difficult times and have some dignity at the same time.

The posts I read, I read. I read the words .. I try not to glance over them, but to understand what the person is trying to say. Now I am learning to read through the thread before I post off of the first post, or the second so that I don't stir up something that's already been resolved in earlier posts.

I don't know what went on before I got here. I imagine people got their feathers ruffled, went off on others and then offense set in. people stopped looking at each other with compassion and seeing them as just people, human beings who really didn't intend on hurting anyone else. That's how it usually goes.

I only say stuff like this out of guilt myself. Because I've laid into people who deserved the benefit of the doubt and my understanding, not my anger and my pride because my feelings were hurt.

Burd, you are just as valid and valuable as anyone else here. Your input is as well. And I am certain I can't be the only one who thinks this way.

As for BD, well, you gotta get past the examples and consider the intention and the message. It's like when people argue over if it was an apple or a pear ... who cares? They ate it! :D

16. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Those who are having side conversations should keep in mind that it may be hard for people who are ill to read through all that when they are primarily interested in deriving benefit from the main topic.

Burd, I think you should continue to post. Although I do not have either Meniere's or MAV, your posts made me realize that I was likely suffering some form of silent migraine, something I had never heard of before. Based on your posts, I took steps to identify triggers, and I pretty much have the problem under control now. I am sure you have helped scores of people during your time on the forum (both those you know about and those who don't ever post).

17. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

agreed, suffering is part of living. suffering unneccessarily need not be part of living. in this case we can chose not to suffer.

18. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

Joe - sorry my reply came across as rather terse, not meant to be that way, just stating the reason some of us have not "totally destructed". I am of the belief that if all one's symptoms stem from meniere's one would be better off with no vestibular function. If I could get a definite diagnosis I would certainly go that route.

19. dillon

dillon New Member

Well I don't think this thread is going away too soon since I'm only on page 3 and there are 4 more to go. Hopefully the rest of the posts are peaceful thought. I totally get what you are saying and if many people with MM or not realized that life is always always worth living. But now I'm really hungry for donuts. Maybe I'll for a walk then head to Dunkin' Donuts. ;D

20. gert157

gert157 New Member

I really do still appreciate so very much the "oldies" who still take the time out of their busy lives to give us an update from time to time on how they are doing, it shows such compassion and empathy on their part to not forget all of us who still struggle with this terribly difficult disease/disorder whatever you want to call it... They still want to help, what a gift those people are....
    Burd is one of them.... She was here long before I joined the forum and I learned soooo much just by reading her posts.... I grew to know her and found she has spent countless hours on this site spreading the word on MAV and so much more, as she dealt with her health issues..... A kind soul to be sure, and full of knowledge and compassion....... She is one of many who really do care and want to help in anyway she can, I appreciate her for that and for her friendship as well........
    This whole topic is so complicated and has so many layers, its just almost too much to dealve into.....Just the title "do we suffer needlessly" sparks so many different thoughts and emotions and interpretations...........
    Wishing all a relaxing and steady Memorial Day.........
    Sincerely, Leanne