DBL support group ... everyone welcome!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mnme, Oct 31, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

excellent idea

2. vertigo247

vertigo247 One cannot think crooked and walk straight.

I just ordered Lee's book!:D

Unfortunately, I wound up only being able to afford one right now (sniff, sniff), so I won't be able to give a few as Christmas present as I'd hoped, but at least my parents will be getting one; they need it more than anyone else I know since my dad suffers terribly from chronic pain. I cannot wait to get it in the mail so I can look through it first (they'll never know haha!!). Thanks again, Lee, for all your hard work.

Brooke

3. Mnme

Mnme Guest

That is very good of you to buy this for your parents. Those with chronic pain have had amazing (and often surprisingly quick) success using these concepts. Once you know what is more than likely going wrong, half the battle is won. The added benefit is your parents will see just how devastating menieres can be - and yet still be hopeful that their daughter can resolve the underlying problems.

Thanks for being so open to these concepts Brooke.

Lee

4. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

My book just arrived today! Looking forward to the read!

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

Hmm you pay almost $50.00 for a book that from the exerpts i have seen and heard about..is about massages and techniques...Reminds of me the chiropractor that thought about the same thing and he could "cure" MM..Only took me couple of visits to see thru the clouds on that one..Not trying to step on anyones toes or hurt there feelings..But i have been told in private by several members from here that after reading the book they are wishing they could get there $50.00 back..So does this book come with a money back kind of deal ? lol...Because i am just seeing someone making $$ from those that just want to be free of MM.. BTW i am not bashing anyone...Just my opinion..thanx :)

6. Mnme

Mnme Guest

You're more than welcome to your opinion Heavyduty. Believe me, 5 years on this forum suggesting a positive approach... I'm very used to opposition. What you are being told in private is obviously remarkably different to what I am being told. If you were here in my suburb in Australia, it would only cost $29.95 AUD. At today's conversion rate, that's $27.55USD (as Dreamchaser mentioned, that's the drawback of a book published in one country being sent to another).

Good one Linda! Hope you enjoy it!

Lee

7. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

no one has to buy the book or any other product. They choose to do so. Make the choice and pay the money. I have never heard of a book with a guarantee. heavyduty, did you read all the posts, especially the one about $$$ investment? She will have to sell a good many books just to break even.

8. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Heavyduty -

I doubt very seriously that at this stage of my life with this disease I can be helped. I don't need to be helped unless someone can figure out how to restore my hearing. And even then, I'm doing just fine because I know how to accept and move on.

But, I have a great deal of respect for Lee and what she has accomplished. Who knows, others may benefit and that's important. After all, she helped herself and others she has worked with in person.

I bought her book so I could see all her hard work and efforts in writing, and because I consider her a friend....and that is priceless.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

If someone on this forum has purchased Lee's book, which was just released, how could they possibly know if it worked for them? This isn't a magic pill. Are they willing to put the time and effort it to see if it works? I remember buying the Trigger Point Handbook when it first came out. I was in pain and I tried the techniques. I found some relief but the effort outweighed the relief at that point. That was before the dizziness and other symptoms came about. My husband is still doing the trigger points every day. He has eliminated some of the pain, increased his flexibility, and improved his posture. This is just from the trigger point treatment using the theracane.

I haven't received my book yet, but I am at a place where I am willing to devote the time and effort to allow my body to return to wellness. My other choices are 1) total disability and 2) continue to live with the depression, pain, and dizziness that is severely limiting my quality of life while working. I know I'll have to make a lot of life changes to have a shot at getting rid of my symptoms. I have vestibular damage and brain damage but I also believe the body can heal. I believe it was created to welcome healing and reject disease.

10. VickiS

VickiS New Member

I am beginning to wonder if my dizziness isn't all muscular (as previously suspected) complicated or caused by stress.

I am under tremendous stress and tension most days. Unfortunately I have a son in his early 20's who has serious mental health problems and regularly erupts in anger/frustration, most of it directed at me and always when my husband is at work. I don't think he'd ever hurt me physically (although this could be a possibility I guess) but emotionally it's soul-destroying and I go through most days in a state of constant fear wondering if there will be a blow-up. Last week I was on the verge of phoning the police, it gets that bad. My son hits tranquilizers heavily (plus alcohol and marijuana) and when he runs out, has seizures.

This has been going on for many years...as has my dizziness. Is it related? If so, how do I cope with it? Will I remain dizzy as long as my son is in my life?

It gets me down so much. :( Sorry, there's no real point to this post other than musing about what will happen if I can't change my situation.

11. June

June New Member

Heavyduty, I've never gotten ALL the answers about anything from one person but i get some little piece frome everyone. I have a feeling I'll get several little pieces from Lee's book because she has clearly spent years collecting clues and honing technique that help. If it advances me 5 years in my journey of discover, wow, how great is that!

12. kass

kass New Member

Heavyduty,

Given that Lee's book is only JUST (matter of days) arriving in the USA - I doubt very much if anyone and certainly not 'several' have physically had the time to 'speed-read' the whole 239 pages, let alone absorb contents - then gone onto 'inform' you of its contents.

I think NOT Heavyduty - I think you have just made a huge blunder in miscalculation of airmail shipping time between USA and Australia and got yourself 'caught-out' bareface lying to your Menieres.org family.

Shame on you - Kass

13. pardonme

pardonme Guest

14. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Vicki, but there is a very big point to your musings. It was such a wonderfully, brave, honest self-assessment. I can't even begin to understand how hard it must be for you, but I know when I used to get caught up in 'worry' (even if it was over relatively inconsequential things), then it was almost like I wouldn't allow myself time off from playing things over in my mind and feeling tense. But as a wife, mum, daughter, sister and friend to others, I finally accepted that not only did I deserve some 'down' time, but getting this would help rejuvenate me and therefore help all those around me. How we feel affects those around us more than we realise. Then, like Diane suggested, start with 5 minutes a day focused solely on you ... more if you can. And build. I sound like a broken record, but please read Diane's post carefully. There is so much wisdom there.

A big hug to you.

Lee.

15. pardonme

pardonme Guest

16. vertigo247

vertigo247 One cannot think crooked and walk straight.

Here's how I feel about it: If I open Lee's book and say, Wow, this isn't going to help me or anyone I know a bit, then that's okay with me and I'm still happy I bought it b/c here's a person who has our disease and did something to try and make a difference with it. That's worth it for me to support that cause as a thank you for, if nothing else, her effort and courage.

Brooke

17. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I myself suffered from serious mental illness as a teenager and although it didn't present quite in the same way your son's has, I put tremendous stress onto my family and in particular my mother. She had a heart attack during one of my many suicide attempts and I often wonder if many of her serious (life-threatening) health issues are due to those years dealing with me.

My mother did gain a lot of control and support during those years by being active in mental health support groups. They are so important because they remind people that they are not alone and that the mental illness is the problem, not the person. Do you belong to any support groups? My mother, even all these years later, coordinates the "NAMI" group for eastern ontario. NAMI is throughout the states as well (http://www.nami.org/).

I'm sure you already know about these resources after having to endure this difficult situation for so many years but I just wanted to throw it out there in case. Again, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I hope that your son gets through his illness - I sure did but it did take many years to get there (I was extremely ill from 15-25 and then slowly improved to the point of being well at 28).

Thinking of you.

Lee - I can't wait to get a hold of a copy of your book. Unfortunately I can't afford a copy right now but as soon as I can I'll be rushing to order a copy!

Amethyst

18. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Amethyst ... thank you so much for your comments. What amazing courage!

As a general enquiry, is it possible/practical for me to send a 'freebie' somewhere central (?? perhaps Headnoise's Meniere's Foundation) for those who can't afford to buy it ... then maybe it can be taken out like a library loan? Although this is not ideal, it's certainly better than nothing. The trouble will be the ongoing cost of postage plus the need for someone to co-ordinate it.

Lee.

19. pardonme

pardonme Guest

20. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Yes! Learning with someone else is a wonderful idea.