DBL support group ... everyone welcome!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mnme, Oct 31, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you Milo, but Titus did a wonderful job answering your question. Although muscle testing is undoubtedly fascinating, I don't believe any of the alternative therapies alone are the answer. Brief appointments of time from an 'external' perspective just can't compare with LIVING it. It's like trying to explain Meniere's symptoms to someone - only the individual will know just what it feels like. Body logic is about individual awareness.

Kass, your story brought back so many memories! Thanks mate! :-* What great talks we have had together. Over the years, you've taught me so much. I take my hat off to the wonderful philanthropic work you do.

Lisa, the base price is $29.95 AUD, but naturally, postage varies (cheaper for you as you also live in Australia). A direct link to the order page is
    http://www.discoveringbodylogic.com/order.htm
    I hate charging, but I owe it to my husband to do this. He has worked long, long hours (often away from home) to allow me the time to research/write this.

Carol, I'm with Kim on this one. I problem solve how to carry all the bits and pieces I need to take with me when I go shopping. I no longer take much at all. When I was ill, I used the hip bags Kim talks about. It's amazing how much better we feel if the shoulders are allowed to relaxxxxx - no matter where we are.

Lee

2. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Sotko, great to hear from you!! The key now is not to rush into it (I suspected you would as we couldn't prize the Theracane from you!). You have the rest of your life to explore this. And if the muscles start to get sore from self treatment, listen to them. Let them recover. There is a big difference between 'good' pain and bruising. I tell you, there is something about meeting a fellow meniere's sufferer - there seems to always be an instant affinity. You and your wife are such a lovely couple. Good on you for being so open to the ideas.

3. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Carol -

I carry a leather hobo type bag with a thick leather strap over my right shouder, up close to my body under shoulder. It does not dangle at all, it's snug. It is not heavy or awkward at all. My smaller one in summer was as such. No favoring of shoulders ever, learned that years ago after all the big huge leather bags I would carry. Both are DB bags, both gifts. ;)

Lee - Your book is great! REad it all first day, nice rainy day, very inspirational. Thanks! :)

4. pardonme

pardonme Guest

5. pardonme

pardonme Guest

6. pardonme

pardonme Guest

7. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

Lee--

Have you thought about publishing an e-version of your book for who live in other countries? As an author, I know how difficult it can be to sell books overseas if you don't have distribution there, since postage costs can end up doubling the cost of the book.

An e-version saves postage and paper costs, allows you to reach more people in less time, and (in the cases of self-published works) helps you to earn back your investment faster, since you can make the book more affordable in those out of your immediate shipping area.

Just a thought...

8. princessmommy

princessmommy New Member

What a great thread and great accomplishment, Lee! I am a violinist and have used the Alexander technique in my playing and it has made a big difference. I have had TMJ since my teenage years and was diagnosed with MM when I was 22. The Alexander technique was very difficult to grasp at first and was sometimes intangible because of the vague description of techniques and varied ways different people would respond. However, once I found out how to tap into it, it really paid off. I can see that your theories and book are the same. I look forward to reading it and finding more about it. Count me in on the support group.

Just as a side note. After you PM'd me about my decision to have shunt surgery, I shared your information with a good friend's husband who was diagnosed with MM. He went to a chiropractor and found out he had a pinched nerve in his neck and once it was "fixed," he was totally normal. You saved him!! For my specific situation, surgery was a good route to take because of the severities of my symptoms. As everything heals, I will definately see benefits from DBL and look forward to putting them to good use!

Nancy

9. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Davies work is brilliant so definitely, keep exploring that Intrepid. But importantly, he drew from the work of Travel and Simons (who more than likely extended the work of someone else). I have tried to go one step further by simplifying the key concepts to make them VERY user friendly ... particularly for those very ill ... and providing links to other therapies. The trigger point info. is only 3 chapters out of 20.

As far as your last comment, I've sent you a PM :)

[Diane, your posts are wonderful! You have such a knack for teasing out the most important points.]

Dreamchaser ... just caught your post: Thanks for your suggestion. I did consider this for a while, but was advised that many people are a bit reluctant to buy ebooks. But, perhaps this way of thinking was wrong. I will definitely think this over a bit more. Thanks!

Lee

10. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Wonderful that you are joining in Nancy! The true power comes from tying in all of those amazing disciplines of knowledge. Can you imagine being your own Alexander teacher? Your own physio? Your own masseur? Your own nutritionist? etc etc It's simply awesome. Empowering, as Diane said. You focus on what you can do, no matter what your current situation.
    A violinist! Yes, postural tension will be a very important concept for you.

11. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Thanks Mya!! Now comes the tricky (but very rewarding) part ... putting the concepts in action. :)

12. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Well, one of these days I'll be able to join in this discussion!!! ::)

I'm about halfway thru the book....but I'll tell you: I've already had several "AHA" moments.....what's especially heartening is that I am remembering things my pain management doc was telling me a year ago...only I didn't have enough information for it to make sense.

Example: he kept telling me to work on my trigger points, and I kept saying I didn't have any! And of course, he said that yes, I did....and here was one (OWWWW) and here was another (OWWWWWW) and that even though I may not be feeling pain in that particular area, he wanted me to be working on SOMETHING every day.

One of his theories about fibromyalgia is that the muscles need to learn to have sensory input without going into full blown spasm or fibro flare. He is the one who told me to get the Clair Davies book in the first place. At first it was intimidating (and my background is in medical counseling!) but I tried to stick with it. Now I am hoping that Lee's book really WILL simplify things for me!

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, but I'm already paying more attention to where my body is in space.... :D

13. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

regarding trigger points: trust, trust that you know your body better than anyone else can, better than any physician can or will. Also, trust that your hands and fingers know the pressure points, the gates to releasing pain and worry and hurt. Touch yourself, feel your body, learn your personal physical map, acknowledge the emotions that are released when you find a "hot" spot. Perhaps we cannot overcome everything (what do I know?) but we can gain some relief if we work at it, and work it is, but are we not worth every wee bit of wellness?
    My book will be here down the road - I hope my comments fit. They have worked wonders for me.

14. pardonme

pardonme Guest

15. carolanne

carolanne Lily

I have a question - can trigger point therapy cause initial problems before feeling benefits, i.e. mild dizzies, louder tinnitus?

16. pardonme

pardonme Guest

17. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Lee - I think I grabbed my artery instead of my scm muscle, almost hit the ceiling! Instant shooting pain like fire across front of my neck...OOchhhhhhh! :)

My massage therapist used to make me spin sometimes when she hit a muscle on my left scapula. Also she found a pea size trigger point on my right scm muscle right behind my ear. It would hurt when she pressed on it. I'm not having luck finding it though, perhaps it's gone.

I had luck finding my tailbone muscle though that has been achey, and found it's trigger, pressin away now everyday! I like how you use the elastic analogy about finding the trigger point BEFORE stretching, as it only makes the TP tighter. Makes perfect sense.

18. Titus

Titus New Member

I find that doing trigger point therapy on my neck is best done flat on my back in bed. I'm more relaxed and can grab the "right thing". Try to stay clear of the carotid artery because it can cause heart palpitations.

If you have TMD (either a dislocated TMJ or even mild clicking and popping), be gentle when you do the inside of your mouth and use care in not opening the jaw too wide, at first.

19. Mnme

Mnme Guest

As it says Mya, the SCM is in a vulnerable location so you have to isolate it and move away if you feel the artery. But keep this strategy in context. You've probably focused on this because the SCM links to dizziness. But the key is to ask yourself WHY the SCM is in spasm in the first place. It doesn't matter how well you release tension here, if you haven't corrected the 'bigger' problem, it will return. Aim high. In fact, once you correct the rest of your body, the SCM has a habit of sorting itself out.

I think it's very easy to get into the 'treatment' side of things before really coming to grips with the big concepts. Take Diane's poem (just above this post) for a moment. It is at the heart of what this is all about. Read it carefully. Do you agree with the ideas?

The DBL concepts set up a life long learning curve. There is no rush. Get the foundation of understanding right, and the rest will sit neatly on top. Resist heading for the 'top' first, as it will only slow you down. On just about every page, there is a big concept. So although the text seems light and almost 'conversational', don't be fooled. It's actually a text book that asks a lot of you.

Deercharmer, I love your comment "I am remembering things my pain management doc was telling me a year ago...only I didn't have enough information for it to make sense." YES. That understanding is what makes all the difference.

And Gardenfish "are we not worth every wee bit of wellness?" We sure are.

20. Mnme

Mnme Guest

If I were doing this over again (on the structural side of things) I would go straight to page 146 and do this daily and then slowly but surely investigate the map on page 111 (while going back over the key focal points on trigger pointing). Meanwhile, keep reflecting over the broader concepts.

And I certainly wouldn't just read the book once.

Lee.