"Compression...migraine treatment"

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by joy, May 12, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. joy

joy New Member

Treatment of migraine attacks by compression of temporal superficial arteries using a device.Cianchetti C, Cianchetti ME, Pisano T, Hmaidan Y.
    University Department of Neurosciences, Clinical Section of Neuropsichiatria Infantile, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria, Cagliari, Italy. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: We recently reported that prolonged compression of the scalp arteries blocks pain in a large percentage of migraine attacks. We aimed to determine whether the use of a simple device that compresses the temporal superficial arteries can ameliorate migraine pain. MATERIAL/METHODS: Thirty consecutive patients (21 women, 9 men), who had positive effect with prolonged digital compression, were included in this study. Subjects were instructed to apply a simple device that firmly compresses both temporal arteries at the onset of each migraine attack. RESULTS: Eight subjects terminated treatment because of localized pain induced by compression of the device. In the remaining 22 subjects, 38.4% of all attacks in the first treatment month and 52.5% in the second month were aborted or attenuated by at least 1 degree of severity. Painkiller use dropped from a mean of 6.9 tablets in the month prior to use of the device to a mean of 4.5 in the first month and 3.8 in the second month of application of the device; the differences were statistically significant for both months (p<.001). Opinions regarding the effect of the device were positive for 15 subjects (slightly for 3, moderately for 8, and markedly for 4) and negative for 3; the remaining 4 subjects were uncertain as to its effect. CONCLUSIONS: A simple device that induces compression of the temporal arteries can abort or reduce pain in a significant number of migraine attacks. This represents a new method for treating migraine attacks and suggests the involvement of extracranial nociceptive afferents in the pathophysiology of migraine.

http://www.alisultaneh.8m.com/photo.html
    http://www.alisultaneh.8m.com/photo2.html

Anybody ever hear of anything like this before? This came from another migraine discussion forum. The guy says he's a doctor (not that I doubt him - I've never heard of him before, so who knows.) On the other site many people have asked to purchase his 'device', however, he refuses to sell them. He only keeps telling people how to make them & swears it works.

2. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

I have not heard of the compression treatment that you speak of, but, my Dr. has prescribed migraine medications to me and I have found at times that those work. For example, Imitrex and Midrin.

3. burd

burd New Member

I wonder if this is the same effect I get when I feel migraine discomfort building in my temples, I can pinpoint the sensitive spots as if they are bruises, very tender spots, and I will start massaging those spots and increase firmness, within a few minutes I usually can dissipate the pain and discomfort to where it's barely noticeable.  Relief without drugs.  Pretty cool.

4. joy

joy New Member

From what I can see on one of the diagrams, the area his device puts pressure on is in front of the ear & just a tad higher than center. He says if you put pressure on the two arteries located there, it relieves the pain.

I wish someone on that other forum would come on (over there) & tell personal experience. He was supposed to have sent two of his devices to the person. Oh well.

snkrey1211 - yeah, I've been down the migraine meds road with my neurologist - pretty well to the end of that road & back again. Everything he gave me either didn't work, worked only minimally, or had side effects worse/as bad as my migraine symptoms. Right now I'm on a supplement called Alfa PXP which is working pretty well. Whenever I come across a new treatment, I can't help looking into it for people I know who don't have a successful treatment yet.

5. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Joy:

How long have you been on the Alfa PXP? I'm very interested! I did some searching on the net after you wrote this. It's most certainly worth a shot....what can it hurt?

6. joy

joy New Member

I started taking it on Mar. 17th. Since Mar. 28th I've only had 3-4 very mild twinges of headache pain & my dizziness & other MAV symptoms have pretty much cleared up as well. There's absolutely no reason why this stuff should work - that's what my neuro & primary docs both say - but both agree that if it's helping me feel better "Keep taking it!"

I learned about it from a lady on another forum. I knew her before she started taking it & she was pretty cynical at first, but desperate (for healing AND to get her friend who recommended it to her off her back!). After ~3 months my friend reported she felt incredible ... & still feels great. She's doing things she hasn't been able to in years & years. I have no reason to doubt her, so I eventually bought some for myself. I'll pm you with more details if you're interested.

7. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

I'm not sure what "pm" stands for, but if its send me more info, I would love it! Thanks! :)

8. joy

joy New Member

Personal Message ;)

9. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Perfect