"chronic suppressive medication"??

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by wileyriley, Mar 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

I e-mailed my doc and told him about my latest weird vertigo attack (I posted about it a couple days ago.) and he said he may have to put me on a "chronic suppressive medication." I have e-mailed him back to ask him what he means by that but does anyone here have a guess? I'm already on Klonopin daily and Valium as needed.

Just curious. Thanks

2. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

Perhaps an anti-depressant? I think Klonopin is that too, or am I wrong? Let us know what he means when you find out.

3. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Anti virals I think.

4. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

i will definitely let you know. klonopin can be used for anxiety as well as for suppressing the balance nerve or at least that was my understanding. maybe he wants me start valium on a regular basis instead of on an as needed basis?

i wish it was antivirals. would like to try them but so far he won't prescribe them.

5. nassman

nassman Guest

With Klonopin and Valium already in your system I would not add another "suppressive" type drug to your treatment plan.

6. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

I thought Klonopin was part of the benzo family..stays in your system longer then valium and xanex. Benzo are used as vestibular suppressants.

7. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

yeah, i definitely don't want to add another suppressant. two is two more than i wish i had to take! i'm thinking he must mean start taking the valium regularly. i really don't want to do that either. this stupid disease... i'm just not happy with any of my options right now. unfortunately, patience is not one of my virtues!

njspin-that's my understanding too about klonopin. right now, i take 0.5mg 3x/day. then valium if i have to.

i'm kind of wondering if my sinuses are contributing in some way. my primary doc diagnosed me with a sinus infection a few weeks ago and put me on antibiotics. i wonder if it's back. i've had some shooting/achey pains in my forehead and i'm a little stuffy.

i see him next week on the 11th. so if he doesn't get back to me on e-mail, i'll know then.

8. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

Sinus infection will definetly make the dizziness worse. I to had one last week. UGH! (((hugs)))