Chili Powder

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Jenny, Apr 30, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Jenny

Jenny Nystagmus sucks. A lot.

Y'all realize how much salt is in chili powder???

Apparently there's a ton, something like 20% per serving. I found out from my Grandma, didn't believe her, then looked on my McCormick's container. I believe it's the 2nd ingredient.

Isn't that some crap?! Meniere's is trying to take away my love for spicy foods.

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Jenny - I just made turkey chili in the crockpot yesterday and it was soooo good!

I use Gebhardt's Eagle brand Chili Powder. It is gluten-free and sodium-free.

[​IMG]

3. saltyl

saltyl New Member

There`s also a brand called "Grandma's" which has no sodium; also Penzeys.com has a variety of chile powders without salt. In fact Penzey's is a great resource for anyone in an area where spices are hard to come by.

4. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

I use McCormick Chili powder. They say that it has 50 mg sodium per teaspoon. I'd say that I use about 1.5 teaspoon per serving or 75 mg of sodium ... not too high for me. Also, I add my own cumin, oregano, and cayenne and use commercial chili powder as a top-up spice.

[​IMG]

5. Bastet

Bastet New Member

Wow....thank you for pointing this out. I didn't realize that chili powder could even have salt in it!

6. Jenny

Jenny Nystagmus sucks. A lot.

Anytime Bastet, I too was amazed.

And thanks guys for the no-salt brands. I make my own taco seasoning and thought I was lower in the salt than I am, and then I found this out. Figured I'd share it just in case anyone else didn't know. I mean, if there's anything else other than chili powder in it, there need to be nutrition facts on the label so you know just how much! Scary stuff!

Do the no-salt chili powders taste any different than the regular chili powder?

7. burd

burd New Member

I buy all my spices from bulk bins and have been able to find salt-free chili powder this way. Besides that, you pay only a few cents on spices this way, way cheaper than off the shelf prepackaged. Check into it, you'll be pleased what you find.

8. neptune

neptune 'ol egghead me

I use Williams Chili Mix for tacos and burritos and goulash. It comes in regular or tex-mex. Sodium--zero.

9. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

I was surprised and decided to pull out my Chili powder to check. (There is no way MY chili powder has that)

You were right. I am disappointed. Now the trek to find a store that sells something thats not McCormicks begins.

10. DizzyDani47

DizzyDani47 this too shall pass...

I know, I was shocked too! Urgggg... SODIUM is the devil! It's everywhere.
    I will keep my eyes peeled for the no sodium stuff.
    Thanks for the heads up!

11. ephillipsme

ephillipsme New Member

Frontier has a sodium free chilli powder, found in the helth fod isle.

12. tm53

tm53 New Member

I love the chili powders from Penzey's. In fact I really like a lot of their products.

13. Mongo59r

Mongo59r New Member

+1 for Penzey's !!

Not only do they have excellent Chili powder, they also have a lot of other salt free spice blends too.

If you want a great, but so worth the mess base for your next pot of chili try the link below:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mexican_red_chili_sauce/

You can make it milder if you use the California chili pods.

14. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member