Bilateral

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Tai chi, Sep 29, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Tai chi

Tai chi New Member

What do you think the chances of becoming bilateral after being unilateral for about 25 years and in burnout? It seems my good ear is getting full and feeling funny. I'm having a scared moment.

Thanks
    barbara

2. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Hi Barbara-

It's hard to truly say what the chances are..... but by chance-- do you suffer from allergies? The fall allergy season is definitely upon us.... and allergies/sinus infections and upper respiratory infections are going pretty strong right now. Any of the above can be making you feel fullness in your good ear especially if it is affecting the eustachian tube.
    It seems like most people - if they are going bilateral seem to do it within the first 10 years after initially getting diagnosed unilateral..... but in saying that..... everyone is so different with Menieres- and there is always an exception to the rule.
    If you don't have any heart problems-- high BP/elevated pulse rate..... you might want to try something like sudafed or anything with a decongestant in it and see if that does help the fullness in that ear.

Best wishes-- and try to not worry so much yet!
    Dianna

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Barbara, don't get scared about something that could be related to anything but menieres. I know that can be difficult. Go out and do something really wonderful for yourself.
    Paul

4. iowatriker

iowatriker New Member

My Dr told me if I didn't go bilaterial with in 5 years that there was less than a 10% chance that I wound. He also said that there is less than a 5% chance that I would go bilaterial in my life time.

5. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Hi Barb,

I think there is a good chance that you are not going bilateral. Be hopeful.

Joe

6. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Going bilateral is rare. I agree with Joe, be hopeful!

7. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

09/29/2006

Hey linda, ever go back to the beginnings just to see how far you've come???