Big Words - Make You Sound Smart?

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by Aladdin, May 3, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Supercalifragalisticexbealidocious, even though the sound of it may be quite atrocious, supercalifragalisticexbealidocious is really a great song.

2. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

Is that a sentence or a stanza?

3. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Uh, think it might qualify as both!!! Only Mary Poppins knows for sure!

4. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

sentence.. don't you see the period????.....

5. studio34

studio34 Guest

1) Flockin-knockin-nihiliprolification: something flockin nockins do.

2) Newmaltra-microscopic-silica-volcana-coneosis: when you vacuum over a spot a few times, cannot hoover that piece of carpet lint, so bend over and grab it yourself and then vacuum it up.

Scott

6. studio34

studio34 Guest

dog: four-legged animal with a tail that wags periodically.

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

hahah

8. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

In my opinion I would rather use a long word than certain 4 letter words!

9. Tara

Tara New Member

I started reading early. By the time I was in 4th grade I was reading at a university level. I had a natural leaning to big words. Sometimes I'd use words I didn't even realize I knew. In junior high, my teachers would often ask if someone helped me write my papers. It was quite offensive to me, but at the time I was too meek to say anything. I found though, that for the longest time it changed my writing style, until writing became a chore. It didn't feel natural.

Now, I use whichever words feel right to me, be it big or small. Not to be offensive, or sound smart, but because that's who I am.

10. corona

corona New Member

I am like you Tara. I love words. I also love words in various languages. I like the way they feel and the messages they convey.
    I am not sure what the OP means by 'big words.' Is it long words or uncommon words?

Whenever I hear or read a word that I am unfamiliar with it motivates me to look it up in a dictionary and see how it can be used in different ways. I don't think big words make me sound smart but they do make for better communication.

I know this is a tongue in cheek thread since Aladdin is not a derogatory person in the least bit :-*

11. Tara

Tara New Member

I thought she meant big words, as in large type. ;)

12. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Now you see, Tara? I thought that joke, but didn't write it. Get outta my head!!! :D

We are all wordsmiths. Words are the way we try to share ourselves with one another at this forum. So we have to choose our words carefully to do ourselves justice. Challenging and fun.

13. corona

corona New Member

"People should not have to censor their language to meet other people’s lack of understanding."

Interesting website Aladdin. It had the above quote.

14. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

Zyzzyva

15. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

I used to believe that, then I had children.

16. Tara

Tara New Member

I still believe Corona's statement, and I'm a parent. I watch my potty mouth, but I don't "dumb down" my speech.

17. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

Good on ya, Tara. My 5 year old grandson was playing in the yard with me yesterday. Something bit him on the back of his neck and he came and asked me to "examine" it.

18. corona

corona New Member

I'm glad you don't. It's a sad lesson to teach our kids. There is a wave of anti-intellectualism that's sweeping our country and it is very unfortunate. However engaging the Twilight series is, kids don't want to read the classics anymore. I teach in a middle school and am horrified by how the majority of the kids talk, think, etc. One 8th grader was reading 'Night' by E. Weisel and she had no clue what the Holocaust was about! How do you get to be an 8th grader and not know this? When I asked her she told me that it wasn't related to her culture so why did she need to know it anyway :eek: I could tell you so many more stories on spelling, essay writing, math whatever. It's somehow cool to be dumb in middle school. I wonder where they get this idea. I suppose it's people around them teasing them for using big words or reading certain books or attempting to have an intellectual conversation. I have no idea why we s##t on the brain this way.

This is by no means a reference to Aladdin in any way who is an accomplished author and has reared three wonderful kids who are very smart. So please (posters in general) don't make this something I say against Aladdin. I've known her a long time and have nothing but kind words for her.

19. joy

joy New Member

Side Note related to the Dumbing Down of Society: Have you seen that show - I think it's called Wipeout? Em was watching it last night & it is exactly like something in the movie "Idiocrisy" about the world 500 years in the future where people are ignorant, hedonistic morons. In the movie (Idiocrisy) the most famous/popular show on TV at that time is called "Ow my balls" & it features this poor schmuck who gets hit in the privates in all kinds of different ways. Everybody thinks it's awesome & totally entertaining. Now back to 2010, we have a show called Wipeout - where people are going through this obstacle course ... Emily says it's about the obstacles & all that, but I saw very clearly an "ow my balls" mentality. The audience & commentators were all about how many times the people wiped out on the track - how horribly they got 'whammied', etc. It's like watching a car race - nobody really wants to see the cars circle that track over & over & over. They wanna see the crash. That goes along with these films like "Saw" - mindless violence & gore exploiting ... what? ... gore itself? And it's just getting worse.

And one more thing: There's a little guy at my church - he's, like, 9 now I think. A few years ago his mom told me he came up to her outa the blue & said, "Mom, do you think I'm weird?" Of course she said no & asked him why. He said "Because the other kids in class all say I'm weird..." They thought that because he's a very smart kid. He was smart - not just intelligent but bright/witty - before he even started kindergarten. Instead of looking up to him, his peers call him names & make fun of him. How crummy is that?

Yeesh ... I got on a little mini-rant here. Sorry about that. Just ignore me ... I get this way sometimes. Back to topic. :p

20. corona

corona New Member

It doesn't surprise me. It takes less effort to drag someone down than to pull yourself up. Not only, but you will find more support from others in dragging people down.