Are you getting a flu shot?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Wobbles, Oct 11, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

I’ve been getting a flu shot each year for the last 10 years and will be getting another one this year. This year I have a special reason to get a flu shot because my immune system has been worn down by a blood disorder.

For me, the flu vaccines seem to have worked in that I have not had a flu in a very long time. However, I have had colds but nothing too serious.

I have noticed that my Meniere’s symptoms are worse when I have a cold. I am more off balance and my tinnitus is louder. Luckily, I do not seem to have increased vertigo.

I am wondering how many others will get a flu shot this year and whether anybody else notices an increase in symptoms when having a cold or flu.

Joe

2. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I get my flu shot every year. this year will be a bit different because I am on prednisone, and if I get the shot I won't get much immunity from it. I would need to go off the prednisone for a while for the shot to be able to work---while I am on it my immune system is suppressed so antibodies may not form.

the last time I got the flu, I was ill for a month (I have asthma that acts up whenever I get a respiratory infection). So I am a believer. I am on the "risk list" and get it right away. Besides, I work with people who think it's a sign of a fine work ethic to drag their viruses in to work and share them. I need protection from these people. I actually wash the doorknobs at work because of them. Ugh.

When I am ill with something else it doesn't seem to make my symptoms worse...it just makes me doubly miserable.

3. mcfarkus3

mcfarkus3 New Member

I haven't gotten a flu shot the last couple of years, and haven't gotten the flu. Just lucky, I guess.

My meniere's symptoms are always worse when I have a cold or sinus infection. I end up taking 2-3 days off work each time because the combination is too tough to deal with.

4. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Joe - for as long as I can remember, I got a flu shot every year as soon as they were available. Then last year, I procrastinated, and all the vaccine was gone before I knew it. Even being part of a "high risk population" (asthma) I couldn't find any. And wouldn't you know it - I got the flu!!! I was as sick as I've ever been for more than 3 weeks, much of it flat on my back in bed .

So this year, I'll be one of the first in line when they start giving the shots at my local clinic.

deercharmer

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I usually get a flu shot. Like DC, last year I was too late and they ran out. I'm sick right now so not sure if I'll get one this year or not.

My MM symptoms are always worse when I have a cold or the flu.

6. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

I get a flu shot every year too. My MM is much worse when I have a cold. I am waiting for my drs. office to get the vaccine...then off I'll go! I HATE THE FLU!!!!

7. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Yes, I get a flu shot every year. If there is a flu going around I always catch it and then I end up with a secondary bronchitus so I RUN and get one as soon as they come to my docs office. Should be in a week or so now. YEs, a cold makes my MM symtoms worse I believe.-Yvonne

8. jrw

jrw New Member

Already got mine earlier this week. Have gotten the flu shot for years because the flu always makes a mess of my lungs and I get really sick. It's even more appropriate now. My whole family gets a shot, too. A couple of years ago my son got the flu in spite of the shot and the doc immediately put the rest of us on Tamiflu so I wouldn't get it.

9. dedion

dedion New Member

Got mine yesterday - have gotten one every year since becoming a parent. No unusual side effects so far - knock on wood! My arm seems to be more sore this time than in the past though... taking iboprofen today.

10. FreshFaith

FreshFaith Ride to live. Live to ride.

nope...no flu shot for me... i never get sick... now, excuse me while i find some wood to go knock on...

11. Dixie Chick

Dixie Chick New Member

I didnt get the flu shot last year. But I have a doctors appointment the 27th of this month and I am going to see if the doctor can give me a shot then. With getting a new baby in my care in Dec I think I should get one. Even tho I have the same little ones all the time.

12. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

No flu shot here either. Had one in November of 2003 and three days later my symptoms started. Had a fever for years afterwards. I don't think it was a coincidence. Got the flu two years ago and it wasn't too bad. Actually felt better when the dehydration started.

13. nassman

nassman Guest

Hell no.

Don't trust it.

14. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

I almost hate admitting this, I have never taken a flu shot..... when I was completely healthy or even after I got so sick.
    I know this is not the smartest thing to do either, but just a choice I have stuck with- and I have had the flu and was sick as a dog with it also.
    I guess the reasoning behind my choice, is that the flu shot only covers typically 3 different strains of the flu- and there are hundreds of strains out there. They can only predict what strains will be the most common..... so even getting the flu shot does not ensure not getting the flu. And I know I'll get laughed at one this one-- but I hate getting shots. I have no problem giving them, just hate receiving them.
    But I NEVER advise against getting the shot, especially if you are compromised by any medical condition.

15. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Ditto to Nassman and Dianna....NEVER AGAIN. I got the flu shot back in 2001....concidental or not, I came out of vertigo remission at the same time...and got sicker than I ever have been with the flu. But, if you're health is comprised, definitely get it.

16. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

i always have my flu jab cos of the asthma this year i have the added bonus of the pneumonia jab! i had flu 5 years ago and was soooooooooooo sick! so i never skip it anymore!i think i have enough crap going on without getting the flu on top of it all!!!!!!!i've never had any trouble with it

17. dedion

dedion New Member

Toni, is that you? How ARE you?!!! I've missed ya! I was looking for you when I got back from maternity leave.

18. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

I get a flu shot every year - if I don't, I get the flu and then bronchitis and then a host of things that never seem to go away till after spring comes. I found that having the flu shot, at leaves give me a little peace of mind. I need every piece of mind I can get. LOL ::) Okay that was corny, but what the hey! :D

19. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

I've never had a flu shot and only got the flu once, a long time ago.

20. SMC

SMC Look for the footprints in the sand......

My husband is ill so I have to be extremely careful about bringing any bugs into him. I got the shot last year and didn't notice any problems from it. I will get it again this year as soon as it's available in my dr's office. I pray that I don't experience the same nightmares that ToniG, Nassman and Dianna had. YUCK!