Anyone tried Craniosacral therapy for tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by cc635, Oct 12, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. cc635

cc635 New Member

Understood. No problem. :)

2. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Burd,

Just realised I didn't respond to your post. While I don't share your conclusion as to what worked, I understand your point of view and of course accept your right to have it. Neither of us can say for sure why you felt better. The main thing is you did, it did you no harm and you could afford it.

3. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Hank,

I just re-read this whole thread to see how the experiences of people posting here who tried CST tally with the criticisms as noted on Wikipedia. Also note, those Wiki criticisms did not "invalidate" or "discredit" the experience of any individuals (and neither have I) - each one of them simply cited LACK OF EVIDENCE for various claims.

MrDizzy - no change in MM
    Egross - no change in MM
    Funshine - no change in MM
    Rev - no change in MM
    Perses - helped with headache
    Songbird - helped with MM (but not clear if it was cranial osteopathy or craniosacral therapy - they are different)
    Burd - helped for a couple of weeks.

As you did not "blah blah blah" the posts of these people (except Perses, ironically one of those who said they had had some success with it) I wonder if it is the case that you will accept a non-outcome for an alternative therapy when expressed by an individual, but not when it forms part of a scientific study.

4. burd

burd New Member

Thank you. I respect your views and your right to them and I thank you for respecting mine. The good that came from this is that we both shared our viewpoints peacefully even though they differ greatly. That is a good thing, for others to see there are many paths and we all must choose our own. It's Ok that we are not all on the same one. Our successes may be different but what is important is that we share them all, because for someone, they were successes. That is what matters.

Personally I believe the relief I felt did come from the CST. That it lasted approximately 2 weeks is no sign that it failed me in any way. Nothing would have helped as long as I was unknowingly feeding my migraine disorder with triggers I had yet to discover. With meniere's or MAV there are no cures, only management tools. Learning what I was really dealing with significantly later, at that time I had no idea what it was, and then addressing those needs, is that I got well without needing more CST's to feel better. I would tell anyone that the CST may make the symptoms ease but it won't fix it just as medications can't fix it because the problem will always surface again. MAV requires daily maintenance. But a person can be successful in managing it.

5. studio34

studio34 Guest

Anyone like some? I've got lots to share here ...

[​IMG]

6. studio34

studio34 Guest

A quote by Harriet A. Hall, M.D. that I really dig and is fitting. S

• Evolution has given the human mind a great ability and desire to find patterns everywhere and the motivation to seek explanations. If we can't find meaning, we will invent it. If something seems to work once, we will repeat it with the expectation that it might work again. We have a tendency to jump to conclusions because there is a survival value to deciding quickly. We rely strongly on personal testimonials, because until recently (in an evolutionary sense) that's all we had to go by. As any magician knows, our senses are prey to many kinds of illusions. Illusory perceptions allow us to accomplish things we couldn't otherwise do; for instance, our brains fill in the blind spot in our visual field. All these traits were instrumental in our developmental success as a species.

Every one of us can be fooled, so don't cast any stones. Be skeptical of weird ideas, but go to the source and listen carefully and sympathetically. Approach it as a case study of self-deception. Try to pinpoint where logic went wrong. You might learn how to better avoid making mistakes yourself, and you just might have a few laughs in the process. Just remember, you're not laughing at an individual; you're appreciating the humour in the very human failings we all share.

7. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Blah blah blah, Man. You have no experience with this therapy. The people who do, do. They have posted their experiences. Their experiences stand on their own two feet without INS coming back behind posting something that invalidates their experiences. You had nothing of yourself of value or of help, to offer here in this thread. This post is not a research question. THe OP asks whether 'Anyone tried Craniosacral therapy for tinnitus.' The OP did not ask whether anyone might be able to go to Wikopedia and cut and paste some unknown author's opinion about Craniosacral therapy. And this is why I say that you must be getting paid by the post. Yours was completely devoid of useful information pertaining to the OP's question. Instead you merely parroted some editorial viewpoint on the therapy, from someone who remains nameless. What would be someone's motivation to do so? It does not satisfy the question. It doesn't help anyone get any better. So it can only be that you receive some tangible or intangible perceived benefit from doing so. So either this gives you a thrill, or money in your pocket. That is why I said what I did.

Start trying to help people, not prevent people from pursuing help, no matter where that help might come from. INS does not have to sanction what helps someone for someone to be helped. Start HELPING people. You may even enjoy that even more.

8. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Hank,

I really don't know if you wilfully misrepresent me or you are so blinkered in what you think I am saying, or going to say, that you just plough on regardless on your same tired old ranting accusations.

The extract from Wikipedia was not someone's editorial opinion, it's a list of criticisms of some of the claims made by CST, all of which stem from lack of evidence and which come from a number of studies. That's not editorialising. Neither have I editorialised.

The original poster seemed quite cool with what I posted and the reasons why. I don't know why it bothers you so much. I also summarised all the personal experiences posted on this thread and it was pretty much only Burd who had a good result, specifically for MM. Burd didn't seem to have a problem with our discussion so again, I don't know why you do. If you get past your personal feelings towards me you might see things more clearly.

Hank I do think I'm trying to help people. By presenting a balanced picture. You do that yourself. You've been quite free in disparaging surgery based on your wife's experience. And no-one's howled you down as being unhelpful or discrediting or invalidating other people's succesful surgery.

Take another read of Wino's post about the reaction to criticism, or even mere questioning, of alternative therapies and let is simmer for a while and hopefully some of it will stick.

And how do you know I have no experience with this therapy? I have actually tried osteopathy and cranial osteopathy (different but not a million miles away) several times for bad TMJ. I have had relief. Consistent with both Perses' and Burd's experiences that relief has been temporary, but it's relief just the same. And guess what Hank, the permanent solution for me is surgery, which I'm rather keen to avoid. So please don't make assumptions on what I have or haven't tried or twist and misrepresent what I have said.

Simply because I ask questions, caution against a lack of evidence or side effects does not mean you can speak on my behalf what my views will be on any particular matter or what my personal experience is. Does it not strike you as at all ironic that two of your most hated 'foes' here, Perses and me (I remembered your lesson) are two of the small sample ont this threat who have tried the therapy and have had success? That must give your preconceptions something to grapple with. And I wonder if it is that which makes you so billious in your post...or are you a jealous and vengeful God who cannot brook any challenge to his authority...?

9. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Oh my goodness, I Google this lady's name. Anyone can do that for yourselves. She is a professional skeptic. She gets paid to be skeptical on thie side of medical research. Scott, I hate to say it, but I am fast approaching the opinion that you, and some of the other bobble heads that have come in here since you have, are either professional skeptics, or are here attempting to prove your worth as one for future consideration of taking positions as this Ms. Hall has. Is this a job interview for you, or is this already your job? These posts are so useless to try to help others that they can only derive from a motivation that is otherwise. I don't know. But I've been around this world for a while now, and this is starting to smell.

Since you are so opinionated on these things, and you want to be taken as authoritative on what you write, why don't you put your personal reputation behind what we read from you. Tell us who you are, and what you really do. Give us some reference on you that we can verify so that we can begin to take you seriously, as you seem to want us to do. Come clean, Scott.

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I have no hated foes. I do not hate you. I do not hate Nassman. Sometimes I think of you guys as useful idiots. You help to demonstrate what is true, by illustrating what is absurd. And I like you both.

You say that you tried the therapy in question. Well why would you have done that if there was no evidence of its efficacy? And since the OP was asking of experiences of folks who had tried the therapy, why didn't you answer that question rather than bring in this editorial? You are telling others here that it has no efficacy, yet in the next breath you say that you tried it and had success. Again, this is absurd. And thanks for once again illustrating what is absurd. That cements in the minds of people who read these threads what is really true. Contrast what is true, with what is absurd, the truth shines like a beacon from God.

11. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Sigh. This is exhausting. Again with the misrepresenting. And now some insults. Ok, let's go through this one by one.

I tried a therapy similar to but not the same. I made it clear in an earlier post they are similar, but not the same.

I tried the cranial osteo (not CST) it when at the osteopath for something else (back pain), they said do you want to give this a go for your TMJ, I said sure why not. Didn't cost extra. Nothing to lose. Had done no research prior. Did some after. Also spoke to dentist. Satisfied with enquiries and to continue therapy as needed.

I tried the (similar but not same) therapy for something completely different to what the poster was asking about. TMJ. Cannot comment on efficacy for MM.

Didn't editorialise. Have already said that.

Didn't tell others it had no efficacy. Please provide proof that I wrote that. I quoted Wikipedia. I summarised what others said. That's all.

12. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

You gotta be kidding me. I can get PAID for this stuff?? Bring. It. On. Forget dreaming of being a fireman, astronaut or international man of mystery. I'm going to take up this skpetic thing. BIG $$$. Awesome!

But what's that I hear you say? People get paid to practice NUCCA?? Go ahead. Google it. You can do that for yourself. Could it be that Hank is secretly training to be a NUCCA on the side and is building up his reputation here on this forum. Mwah ha ha ha. But that is TOO evil. No way! Could that be why he puts his real name on here and a photo, so that when he finally gets his licence to practice NUCCA we all know who he is and how to find him?

Come on Hank, come clean. It's no coincidence you're a builder. That's all part of the plan isn't it? You're building a NUCCA practice right now aren't you? Probably a whole bunch of them, setting up a franchise. Finally - the truth comes out. Shining like a beacon from God. Or Dr Burcon.

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Well thanks for finally answering the OP's question, INS. Was that all that hard? Why didn't you go that route, being helpful to the OP, rather than circumventing the question completely and posting something that had nothing to do with the question? Yes, I expect that it is exhausing to place so much effort to not answer a direct question, and insert an answer to a question that no one asked, and then have to explain why you did that. I agree, yes, that must be exhausting. So just be easy on yourself in the future and just answer the question someone asks. Then you can go on to something more relaxing.

14. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I'm happy with my answers as I gave them. Haven't heard any complaints from the OP so will have to assume she is too.

Must go now, busy flirting with Sarita.

15. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Boy, you are too smart for me, INS. Yes, you have me figured out. I have a secret identity away from the one I post here in plain view for all to see. Secretly I have a chiropractic clinic in my crawlspace for midgets who have Meniere's. Of course I have to do these adjustments on my knees because as you can tell from the pictures and videos of myself on my website, I am not a midget and there is only 4 foot of headroom in the deepest part of my crawlspace. And the door is only 36" tall. I wouldn't have to keep this a secret except that local ordinances to no allow to operate a business in a building that has only a dirt floor, less than an 8' headroom, no fire exit and no handicap bathroom. But because it is a crawlspace, if a midget needs to go to the bathroom, he or she can just go to the corner and pull up the plastic, careful to replace the plastic afterward so that it won't smell and offend the other midgets. Next month we are branching out into a brand new market for us, dwarfs. The ads are about to hit the paper. And if that goes well, we are going to start marketing efforts in Africa for pygmies. Hey, even pygmies have chiropractic problems!

16. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Sounds like you got yourself a real nice Gimp room there Hank. Enjoy!

17. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

All of this back and forth really has nothing to do with the original question posed by CC. The post clearly asks one question, it is very specific and clear. So maybe instead of bitching about what Wikepedi or Joe Blow says about CST answer the question that was posted and be done with it.

I think at this point it is very clear to everyone that there are some very opposing views by different members on this forum. That is good it can be very benificial to those who are looking for different points of view and for different stategies that have worked for some and have not worked for others. However when someone posts a very straight forward question and it gets derailed by 4 PAGES of bullshit because people want to compete with each other as to who is better at debating it sidetracks the original posters question and I would imagine is very frustrating to the original poster who is simply looking for answers to a very specific question.

If someone wants information about the purported benefits or complications to a specific treatment I think that is what they would ask, and when they do then you boys can have your little back and forth as to who has better information and who can present it in a better and clearer way. Until then zip it or in this case STOP TYPING.

18. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Actually, that should be "Perses and I." "Perses and I are two of the small sample on this thread," not "Perses and me are two of the small sample on this thread."

19. cc635

cc635 New Member

It seems that almost everyone who has tried it has one thing in common.

It was relaxing.
    Relaxation reduces stress.
    Low stress is a good thing for many MM patients (including me). Stress really increases my symptoms.

Don't know if it will help with tinnitus, but if I try it (and I am leaning that way), I will keep you all posted either way.

CC

20. jools

jools Guest

OK I'm going to step in here and add my 10 cents worth!

In England the only treatment I found effective for controlling my symptoms was Cranial Osteopathy. My dentist referred me for the treatment in the absence of NUCCA which he knew about having worked with a practitioner in Nova Scotia. I went from monthly vertigo attacks down to maybe one or two a year. It helped me immensely. Did it help with the tinnitus? No, it actually made it louder, certainly straight after treatment. But I never noticed any long term effects on or differences in the tinnitus.

Hope that helps.