Anxiety and depression, panic and agoraphobia

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by waxwing, Oct 14, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

have you ever suffered from one or more of these problems?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2006.
  1. generalized anxiety disorder

25 vote(s)
    78.1%
  2. clinical depression

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. panic disorder

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  4. agoraphobia

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. other phobia

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. none of the above

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. all of the above

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

2. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

It's so sad that when they are that age they get so self absorbed they don't appreciate the best things in life.

One consolation is that, usually,,as they mature,,they come back to the felling of loving just for the sake of it. Appreciation comes with age.

Now, let's go have a smoke and toast to thaT! LOL

3. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Things are slowly getting better. Mornings are still hard - I just wake up fretting and wishing I cod stay unconscious but usually enter the land of the living once I get moving and busy. I've stopped losing weight though the morning appetite is still low.

I think that reducing my remeron a bit helped but my psych is not convinced. But I think I have to go with my gut and my research and knowledge, not just my doctors ideas. (I'm a family doc so know first hand the challenges!)
    How are you guys doing?

4. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

My OTO told me once,

You are your own best health activist, you PAY your Dr., tell him about .org, and that you've done research. Even bring in some Quotes from your research, to substantiate your
    "Knowledge!"

5. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Yup, Gina. It definitely helped to share my research with my pharmacist. He freely admitted it was new to him (cutting wellbutrin sr to taper) and was supportive.

6. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'm planning on talking to the behaviorist when I go in for my next appointment (next month). I keep thinking I'm not as "bi-polar" as they originally thought. They did no tests like brain imaging; which could help in a diagnosis. I just talked to a doctor in the field for a while and he determined through that, that I was bi-polar. I know I have depression issues but the ups and downs just don't seem as 'spikey' as they would if I really was bi-polar. My personality has changed so much after taking all the meds - I'm just not sure anymore and I miss the happy me.

I'm trying to get out more but the last week or so I've been spending a lot of time in my room. I'm worrying about a lot of stuff but I think it's stuff normal people would worry about. That doesn't mean I'm bi-polar.

I don't know. Maybe the meds are working but it just seems like there is a better way to determine a serious mental issue with more than a few hours with a psyochologist/behaviorist. I won't go off the meds until I've spoken to the doctor but I'm hoping to at least try to lesson the amount I'm taking - which is a lot.

7. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

OMG! That's eXactly what happened to me...those meds fuk up your brain, not good.

Bi Polar is such a friggin money maker for Drs and pharmaceutical companies!

My OTO said, " Gina pumpkin, UR takin too many chemicals.
    She was right.

Hope you feel better soon.

8. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Well, I have an appointment tomorrow with a behavioral health professional. Same clinic I go to every six months or so. I'm going to bring up maybe trying to reduce the amount of pills I'm taking or at least the mgs. of some or all of the meds.

I know people stop taking their meds because they feel fine and then they end up dropping into a deep depression. I understand all that but I still hope to reduce the meds. I'm already anxious about having to leave the house and nervous to talk about it with the doctor. I'm worried about the noise and increase of tinnitus. I'm worried she'll say, "no change for now".

On the flip side - so what if my tinnitus gets worse, I've got meds for that. So what if she says 'no', it's not going to make me better or worse. What's the worse that can happen, I mean really? Absolutely nothing. And why should I be anxious about talking with her - I mean it's the one person I should be talking about it to (reducing the meds). Self-talk. Sometimes it works. Now, as long as I wake up to get there on time... :D

9. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Good Luck, Holly, let us know how it goes!

10. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Upon waking, I felt a small tug in my stomach knowing that I had to go today. As the appointment got closer the tug turned into pain and anxiety. It did go away, pretty much, after I left though I had a few more things I needed to do and places to go.

I had to fill out a questionaire when I got there but I didn't fit in the time frames for the moods it was asking about. I talked to the behavorist about it so I didn't seem so bogged down with the depression the questionaire was aimed at. We talked about the possibilty of lowering my meds again. We also talked about how I came to be diagnosed with bi-polar, manic depression and PTSD. She looked back on my paperwork and told me the first doctor I saw thought that I may be bi-polar during the first visit. On subsequent visits he became sure of it along with the other diagnoses.

Anyway, to make a much longer story short, I got through it though we decided not to make any changes right now. She did note that a few drugs I take for other health issues I have, are also used for depression.

At least I'm through for a while and don't have to go back for six months. I don't really like who I've become (sometimes) since the AIED diagnosis but I'm living at best as I can and getting out (even if I have to force it) as much as possible. Visiting that office always makes me feel like I'm a crazy person... But, I know that feeling isn't reality - gotta work on it.

11. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

That's great news Holly, I'm really happy for you!

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

“ The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of Hell, a hell of Heaven. ”

— John Milton

13. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Really, that may not be true for everyone. That's not very Positive advice, IMO.

14. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yeah, I just gotta get there is all ;D

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

You will get there Holly, I know you can do it.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Since my last entry, I've been getting out more and it's been easier to fight through the anxiety about leaving the house. My grandson came to visit for a while and somehow just having him with me made it easier. Maybe cause I knew he'd be there if I need him and that he'd leave with me at a moment's notice if I started feeling anxious.

I've been to the doctor a couple of times and have had to take my pit bull Marco to the vet more than once. I even went to three different places yesterday to get done what was needed! I have to admit I got only the nessities, but I went.

I was hurting pretty bad when I got home and had to take a break-over pain meds but I was happy I'd gone. Now if I can just keep it up...

17. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

You can keep it up if anybody can! (that's what I heard!) LOL!

Sorry, just trying to lighten things up!

Holly, I'm glad you are able to get out more now!

Keep It Up!

18. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

19. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

What did you edit holly, was it naughty or nice?

I'm very anxious about my biopsy results. I wish it didn't take so long, it hard, this waiting.

20. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Anxiety sucks. Just read that only about 1/3 of patients with Generalized Anxiety Disorder get full remission. Poop. Getting hopeless.