Another opinion......

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by 2DAMNDIZZY, Oct 9, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

Hi All,
    I finally went to the allergy doctor and he said that my allergies are causing my eustachian tube to "defect" and become retracted and thats causing all of my symptoms. He wants me to have allergy shots once a week but first said I could try meds, so me being a big chicken about needles ::), I chose the meds. He has me on Zyrtec and Rhinocort nasal spray.

Has any of you been on these meds and did they help or are the shots better?

Maggie

2. blessed

blessed New Member

I too just had allergy testing on Friday. I am not on any meds yet other than Nasonex. He is waiting for the blood work to come back to see if I have any food allergies before starting the meds. I have alot of trouble with my eustachian tubes. I can only hear out of my left ear with an aid and here lately my hearing has been really muffled. Can't understand words clearly. My ENT firmly believes that the allergies are triggering the meniere's which is triggering the word discrimination loss. Although I have had no other symptoms for a couple of months now, the pressure, tinnitus and trying to understand people talking are maddening. I have had constant tinnitus in my right ear for years but it just started in my left about one week ago. It comes and goes for now. I go back on the 17th to find out what else I am allergic to if anything, there is already a long list, and then I will know what kind of treatment he is going to put me on.

I know this doesn't answer your question but sounds like your on the same page of the story as I am right now and just thought I'd share.

3. abra

abra New Member

Maggie, I have been on zyrtec and rhinocort for a couple of months. Rhinocort helps a little, with the ear pressure...but only a tiny bit. Zyrtec may as well be an M&M as far as the good it did me. It had no effect whatsoever.

Haven't had the shots.

4. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

Hi Maggie ~

It's great that your doctor tested you for allergies. My neurotologist is a strong believer in allergy testing and injections if needed. Meniere's is bad enough but when you have other things complicating your symptoms, it's that much harder to control. It's worth giving allergy treatments a "shot", pardon the pun. :) If you can get a hold of something that you know you have, you might be surprised how much better you feel. It doesn't meant that your MM will go away, but at least you have a chance to improve your overall well being.

I have been using Flonase and Claritin, along with weekly allergy injections. I was tested a year ago for allergies. I have allergies to dust, pollen, mold and pet dander. I've been giving myself the injections for a year now. I am thankful for the injections! I too, do NOT like needles...however, I hate feeling the way I do because of my allergies...so it's a "give and take" issue for me. I use three needles and it's virtually painless.

I was retested a few weeks ago and my allergies are improving! My allergist has increased my weekly dose. I am also going to change my anti histamine.

After being where I was and where I am today, I am very grateful!

Please keep us posted! Best wishes to you!!!

Stacey