Am I going bi-lateral?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by DanGreen, Oct 6, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. DanGreen

DanGreen New Member

I am 56 and passed end-stage in my right ear in 2003. The imbalance attacks stopped in 2001. Then, my hearing went out in 2003. I have a hearing aid that helps some, but at least I have a good left ear and reasonable balance (unless in total darkness).

Last week I started getting imbalance when I stood up after lying down. I would take an extra 30 seconds or so sitting on the edge of the bed before trying to stand to let the imbalance pass.

Today, I stood up after lying down for twenty minutes and remained dizzy (actually imbalance) for 1 1/2 hours and am still a little dizzy. It is just like the attacks I used to get 8-10 years ago with my right ear.

Am I going bi-lateral?

What happens when one no longer has a vestibular system in either ear? Will I be able to walk?

Dan

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Hi Dan and welcome to site,

I'd say there is a reasonable chance that you are not going bilateral. When I went bilateral, I developed hearing loss, tinnitus, and ear fullness in my second ear. I think you should go see your doctor for his opinion. Maybe you have dizziness from impaired blood flow to head or maybe it is BPPV.

If you lose both vestibular organs, you should still be able to walk ... as long as your body can accomodate with the other sensory organs. The two that come into play are: vision and proprioception. There is a region in the brain stem that takes in all the sensory information for balance and then issues commands to the muscle system so that we can walk without falling. It is an amazing system.

Be hopeful.

Joe

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Dan and welcome -

I agree with Joe. Please don't worry about it. You can adjust and accommodate even if you are going bilateral.

4. DanGreen

DanGreen New Member

Thanks for the suggestion re: BPPV. I went here:

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

and I appear to have all the symptoms.

I have an appointment with my ENT for Monday. I'll see what she has to say.

Thanks for the support. You are all so wonderful.

BTW I've been a member for a long time. Just haven't posted for several months. I guess the system forgot me, so I started over.

Dan

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Actually, the site crashed and we all had to start over.

Good luck Monday!

6. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Sorry, Dan. I should have remembered your name but I have gotten so use to welcoming newbies that I forgot that we were all knocked back to ground zero ... except for Linda, of course, who bounced back so fast that she defied gravity. Joe

7. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

8. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Dan,
    I am bilateral and have been for ages but it is only in the last year that I have lost my remaining vestibular system and had major problems with the balance :mad: but with the VRT I have forced myself to do ::) it has improved somewhat. I was initially almost bedbound ( 8 months ago) but am now able to get about most of the time ::) using shank's pony ;D
    I can't drive anymore (my decision) and have problems with most sorts of movement, but life is still good :) :) :)

This crazy monster effects us all differently ( but in the same way ??? :eek:) so as Joe has said, be hopeful :) and get it all checked out before you worry yourself to death :eek: :) :)

Good luck on Monday and try not to worry about the "what if" :)

Maggie