allergy shots immunotherapy

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by scd, Oct 6, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. scd

scd New Member

My ENT has recommended allergy shots. The blood test showed I am allergic to dogs, cats, dust (not dust mites), trees, and 1 mold. Any opinions or experiences?

2. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

-----------

3. scd

scd New Member

When I went to the ENT he asked me if I had any allergies and I said No. I am rarely sick. No usual symptoms like sneezing, coughing, stuffy nose, etc. He said the inside of my nose showed I probably have allergies. They only did a blood test. I am not fond of the idea of getting a shot once a week. Six weeks ago I began using a nose wash a.m. & p.m., two sprays each nostril of Nasonex and Astelin. Yesterday I began taking 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide 2 times daily. I am new at this life.

4. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I just had my 4th skin test done on Oct 2; 25 marks in both arms and around 50 in the back. It's the 4th time I've been tested due to moving to different states. I'm happy to say, I've lived in MI,OK,NY,SC,WA,VA,GA and now AZ and this is my least allergic state! I'm just allergic to dust mites and grasses. (snowbirds bring their plants and grasses with them) I've been on shots since 2001, but because of the reduction in allergens; shots are now optional! So I'm just going with the meds; flonase, astelin, zyrtec, and singular. I would definetely ask for a skin test before getting allergy shots.

5. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

I didn't really have any allergy symptoms, but was desperate and grasping at straws...
    Went to allergist, did the skin tests, said I was allergic to dust, mold, dog dander....
    Took shots twice a week in both arms for about a year....
    Didn't see any difference in anything normally related to allergies....
    Continued on the downhill slide with Menieres.

Sorry, no help for me - but it might work for YOU!

6. letscureitnow

letscureitnow New Member

SCD:

Who is your ENT... I believe in this link, but not all ENT's do

Thanks

7. ozcs

ozcs New Member

Nursemom, May I ask you a couple of questions regarding allergies? One of my previous ENT's suggested that my symptoms might be allergy related because they flair in the fall and winter and subside (is that the right spelling? Looks funny.) during late spring and summer. I did the skin tests and blood work. I showed minor allergies to some things on the skin test (nothing my allergist said I needed to take action on) and a whole lot of food allergies although nothing that I saw was a major trigger. I have had serious sinus infections late October, early November three years running and during this past year, sometimes I go to bed hearing fine (it's all relative) and wake up totally deaf, even with the hearing aids. After a couple of hours, it seems to wear off and I hear better. Some days it doesn't get better so quickly. Do you have any opinions on this? I would appreciate some ideas. My current ENT has basically told me to go home and wait until I get deaf enough to qualify for a cochlear implant. Needless to say, I am looking for a new ENT.

Carol Sue

8. DizzAJ

DizzAJ New Member

My allergy shots have been ongoing since 1971. Although it appears I have had MM since childhood, I wasn’t officially DX'd until 2003 when the episodes were chronic, and I was out of control, so for me the shots haven't relived the MM. My seasonal allergies are helped some by the shots, but still let me know they are there; however, the shots do help with dust, mold, pets, etc.

AJ

9. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Hi Carol Sue-

Allergies and sinus problems can definitely keep the Menieres symptoms more active.
    Mine are of unusual severity- so when looking at my story.... don't have those fears!
    However, any allergy should be taken seriously. Allergies are the prime culprit for seasonal bronchitis and also sinus problems. If left untreated, it can lead to damage to the lungs also and also can predispose you to asthma.
    The blood work did not signify any allergies with me, however the skin tests were a whole different story. I actually suffer from anaphylactoid reactions to over-exposure to dust mites (great- it would have to be to something that I can't see and that seem to be everywhere!-- just my luck).
    Allergy shots have done wonders for me... but I tried going off of them 6 months ago and ended up having some horrible months after that (just to prove that I truly do need them). My allergies are to an extreme and I face having to take large doses of antihistamines for the rest of my life. I'm even doing accupuncture and a few other measures to help minimize my reactions and get my health back on track.
    Seasonal symptoms are some of the biggest indications that you suffer from seasonal allergies. I had those for years, but never recognized that my yearly case of bronchitis was actually due to allergies. I have a rough time in the Fall, every year... and that is in thanks to my allergy to ragweed.
    As far as your food allergies, sometimes foods can be tricky and take awhile before they really show you that you are allergic to them. Think about the people that just suddenly develop an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter or shellfish.... it was something they had never had trouble with before... but most likely had they had skin allergy testing- they would have tested positive to an allergy to this item (without having experienced a reaction to eating it first).
    The best advice I can give you with Menieres and with allergies.. is just to be in tune with your body. For the longest time, I worked long hours, had way too active of a life and I ignored signals of my body telling me that I was getting into trouble and I pay for that continuously now. Allergies can take on the form of many different types of reactions in our bodies ranging from sneezing/nasal/sinus symptoms to seasonal bronchitis... even stomach irritation with diarrhea and the worst- anaphylaxis resulting in difficulty breathing or complete shut down of the airway.
    Even for people who do not think or know they have allergies, I recommend carrying benadryl with you at all times. Trust me, it's simple to carry in your purse and if you or anyone that is with you ever truly needs it during a reaction.... it will be a Godsend to you.
    Also one more note, a friend of mine who has Menieres (she no longer posts on here) who is also a nurse never realized she had allergies and never had the typical allergy symptoms. However, once she had been on the allergy shots for about 7 - 8 months- she noticed a significant reduction in her Menieres symptoms. The one thing about allergy shots, it can take quite some time for them to truly show their full benefit-- and even a few people can't tolerate them (but that is more on the rarity basis too).

Best Wishes,
    Di