Adios

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by ToniG, Jul 15, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Whats really hard about all this is, benzos are one of the meds Drs rx for mm and mav. Many use them to control symptoms. To keep posting about how bad benzo's are is only causing more stress in the mav/mm person's life. Its like going on a forum for heart patients and telling them how dangerous blood thinners are.

2. nassman

nassman Guest

Hello lucky.

I started the post because many people come here wondering what the effects of long term use of benzodiazepine drugs are. I attacked no one and posted the thread in a helpful manner.

In some of the many repsonses that were posted I was told to "get lost", "go back where I came from", was told that I have "no business being on here becaue I don't have meniere's", etc. That last one really cracks me up because there are many people on here who have been welcomed to this site even though they don't have meniere's but rather, other vestibular conditions/symptoms.

I was made to feel that since I do not have meniere's I have no right to talk about benzodiazepine use. Well, to some people the fact that I have had non-stop bilateral tinnitus for 6 years, daily dizziness, and incapacitating headaches for weeks at a time means nothing, because, after all, it's not meniere's disease.....whatever!

Anyway, what I find extremely hypocritical is the way I was treated in the deleted subject thread is what people did not like about me back in the day. Not one person pointed that out which tells me that you all approved of the rude treatment I received. Oh well, as the French say: "c'est la vie!"

The only sad part of all of this is that a great forum member, ToniG, has left because of all of this. She was an asset to this website.

Hop y'all are having a great day.

3. Moogs

Moogs New Member

True, a bully persona is really a hard coping mechanism to deal with. If you absolutely can't, well then you just can't.

But, don't you feel the least bit sorry for the bully? He has to live with it 24/7 and is undoubtedly harder on himself than he can possibly be to others.

My suggestion is that when someone is being extremly insensitive, we focus on what must be bothering his poor soul. He has to live with that bully.

(Laughing at myself a little here) OK OK pass the carrot cake and love beads this way!

XX
    OO

4. burd

burd New Member

Don't get bummed about this, you know she'll never really leave.  She never does.  I've seen it with others too, that like to grandstand their threats to leave and never really mean it.
    (Not said mean-spirited here, just stating the facts.)

5. burd

burd New Member

No, not when they hurt so many and cause so much damage and disruption.
    That kind of behavior is not allowed in society, not in schools, or any other public groups, heck, not even in bars and such. Why here?

LOL :D
    Peace

6. Lucky

Lucky New Member

From what I gather, this site is one of the few places sufferers can go to chat and exchange information with others who share the same effects. In the real world no one can ever relate because you can not "see" the horrible effects. It is a personal hell within one's head.

I am not new here...and in fact, I was here even before the site went down a while back...yet I don't say much (I think this is going to be my 5th post). But when I see ppl making others leave one of the few places they can seek some understanding and hope...IT ENRAGES ME.

Be nice or be gone is what I say...Menieres is difficult enough to deal with...we don't need any other challenges.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

7. Moogs

Moogs New Member

Well ok Lucky, i am going to eat all this carrot cake myself ! :D

8. patride71

patride71 New Member

i have mixed feelings on it. i belong to other forums, non MM/non disease/non illness, and those forums are not as "touchy feely" as this one.

it is nice to have a supportive group, but it is nice to have a change of pace and have folks that are not always so "touchy feely".

i myself don't respond to someone telling me "hugs" or whatever. i respond more to someone that is direct and tells me his/her opinion on a matter. sometimes i might disagree and sometimes i might get pi$$ed, but at least it gets me thinking and/or reacting.

some of these posts are thinly disguised and target nassman. he has posted stuff i don't agree with and has ticked me off a time or two, but i appreciate his candidness.

the way i look at it is no one is forcing any of us to come here or to read threads/posts, so if one is offended or does not like something then he/she is free to leave.

9. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Nassman said,

"which tells me that you all approved of the rude treatment I received."

I think the tone of your posts over time has just made people read them with less objectivity, nassman. It is too bad, isn't it? But I have to say that they do seem to set out to unnerve more than anything else. I think the strong responses you got kind of matched the tone of your original post. It seems to me that most threads do that, everyone's, for good or bad.
    Lisa

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

it's the tone and spirit of "why" the post was written - most days I know it's very hard for me just to walk straight and when i come to this forum i'm not looking for a ? i am looking for support and "hey, you're okay - you do what you need to survive" a lot of things could be said here and help many people given the author's tone and spirit but as I said hurting people are hurting, sad, alone, and scared - we need to be gentle with people and not condenscending -

11. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

but this forum is a support forum and i believe many suffer tremendously and my own life - i suffer every day from these blasted diseas - the last thing i want to do is open up this page and be slammed with grandiouso (sp) arrogance, and strife - several people on this forum have worked very hard at keeping the tone supportive and gentle - i don't know where most people who cause strife get the energy - i spend most days trying to sit up straight and not cave in to vertigo

12. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

uh intrepid - that was powerful and right on

merci

13. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Intrepid.....perfect.
    You are welcome here Nassman like everyone else is, but you need to take the reality check. It is hard to be supportive of someone who goes so out of there way to undermine many wondeful people here. You have not attacked me personally but it hurts me to see others, my friends, attacked. It is straightforward that if you're not going to be nice to people they aren't going to want to be nice back. Give people a reason to be nice.........I swear they want to be!! Lisa

14. nassman

nassman Guest

Well, Sarita, you say I have never apologized. Although untrue, I offer you one:

Sorry, Sarita, for crapping on your home away from home.

In all seriousness, this boils down to one simple thing:

My views on suicide and benzodiazepines will not change. Seeing posts that minimize the seriousness of these two items causes me to react in a serious manner. For me, being serious means that I will be blunt, to the point, and honest. There is no sugar-coating.

If posting my opinions on these threads upsets people like you, that is too bad. I will not be "punished" for being honest or because people want to analyze each and every word I say and make assumptions about the state of mind I was in when I wrote the message. What matters to me is the many people who privately send me messages thanking me for my openness and honesty. These are the people who matter. Not you or the rest of the "clique" that exists on here. Yes, you heard it right. There is a clique here and it is this clique that makes people be afraid to thank me for my help openly and therefore resort to private messages. It is the members of this clique who will follow your post sheepishly with their predictable compliments, smilies, etc.

So, slam me all you want. If standing up against people who speak about suicide as if it was equivalent to taking in a baseball game or benzos as being as harmless as a tootsie roll, then hate me all you want. I am entitled to my opinions just as you are. Nobody forces you to read what I write. We are all identified by usernames for a reason.

15. nassman

nassman Guest

Please give me your definition of "being attacked". Are you telling me that my opinions on benzos equate to attacking individuals? Really? So tell me then, all those people who have continuously knocked the NUCCA treatment theory or disagreed with Hank are also "attackers", right?

Give me a break will ya?

16. burd

burd New Member

Well I am not in anyone's clique, (having friends doesn't always amount to a clique), I think independantly, and I have to agree with Intrepid's observations, as she's not the only one seeing contradictory behavior with your posts nassman. And I'm not the only one to see there's something amiss here, with the way you aggressively address people and topics in such condescending and offensive ways, when one can be straightforward and honest without being an insulting bully.

You've slammed this place, internet research, and those that pursue these avenues...I just want to know...why are you here? Don't tell me it's because you want to help. If you did, you wouldn't have chased so many away that really needed gentle care and a safe place, with your aggression and verbal abuse.

And you want to know what is so good about this place, even the cliques, and anyone else that frequents it? Most of us would forgive your past behavior in a heartbeat and welcome you as a friend, if you would get that huge chip off your shoulder and behave in a civil, even kind, and friendly manner. You would never have to compromise your beliefs and personal boundaries either.
    And I think that says alot about this forum as a whole.

17. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

??? ??? ???
    I obviously missed something

18. LisaB

LisaB New Member

And you want to know what is so good about this place, even the cliques, and anyone else that frequents it? Most of us would forgive your past behavior in a heartbeat and welcome you as a friend, if you would get that huge chip off your shoulder and behave in a civil, even kind, and friendly manner. You would never have to compromise your beliefs and personal boundaries either.
    And I think that says alot about this forum as a whole.
    [/quote]
    And that is absolutely true! No one is trying to run anyone off. (Toni - oceanbreeze- is not run off as she says adios, she is posting elsewhere as we speak!) So what is it all for? What does it all mean?
    I am happy to give you and anyone else a break at any time. I am talking personal attacks. People disagree all the time here about treatments, but in a discussion forum. It is most helpful. I have never read of Hank saying very mean things. He has his view point and expresses it in a considerate manner. Larry, who you attack regularly, is one of the most considerate. Personal attacks hurt people.
    Lisa

19. nassman

nassman Guest

To Burd:

"Aggression"
    "Verbal Abuse"
    "Bully"
    "Insulting"

Once again, and I will say this for the last time, I posted a link to a site where addiction to benzodiazepines was discussed. I added a few sentences of my own, avoided addressing any forum member personally, did not swear or speak in a condascending manner, and did not reply to some nasty PM's I received.

So, I ask you: is what I did really indicative of a bully or an aggressive abuser as you have called me?

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Don't bring me into this. I'm innocent! I swear! I didn't do nuttin, offisa! :)