Acyclovir anti-viral treatment : For you newbie's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Apr 3, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

The antiviral drugs work much more quickly than lysine. I had noticeable improvement from Acyclovir on the 4th and 5th day. Famvir is the one my dr says crosses the blood brain barrier most effectively. My dr also says she would not hesitate to re-prescribe it as necessary, that it is relatively speaking a benign drug that can be taken for long periods of time. I know some people have a hard time finding a doctor that will prescribe an antiviral. They really helped me with my hearing so I always hope anyone who hasn't tried them yet will see if a dr will work with them on that. I know they won't help everyone but they help some and I wish I had tried them when I first lost the hearing, I think I would have retained more of it.

I don't think famvir or acyclovir needs a boost from lysine to work. Long term lysine seems interesting though because as John says, the viruses never die, they just go into a dormant state for a while.

2. deadeye

deadeye New Member

i tried both acylovir and famvir. neither helped. then i used lysine on an empty stomach and 2 days later my symptoms went away. i can only guess it was the lysine. i wonder why the acylovir and famvir had no effect? i am going to get back on aclyovir this week with the lysine and see what happens.

3. June-

June- New Member

Interesting. I can't guess, but I am with you, whatever works. So much more research is needed.

4. deadeye

deadeye New Member

as far as dr.'s go, my local dr. will prescribe pretty much whatever i tell him works for some people on this site. i'm his meniere's guinea pig. have taken serc for years. get it from canada pharmacy. paid 50 bucks for lifetime shipping several years ago.

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

I think that Lysine would make a good maintenance drug after doing the Acyclovir study...

6. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

June, I believe that Natures Own calcium supplement is guaranteed to be pure and free of any additives...

7. June-

June- New Member

Thanks, I changed to a GNC one without cornstarch since then. It's just that like rosanna danna danna said "It's always something." so I take as few pills of all kinds as I can get away with and do a lot of label reading.

8. survivedit

survivedit New Member

The directions on my bottle of lysine say to take it on an empty stomach. I usually take it first thing in the morning.

Bob

9. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Interesting Bob, I also take Acyclovir on an empty stomach...

10. June-

June- New Member

I took it whenever. Taking it 5 times a day, I suppose I took it both with and without food in my stomach. I don't remember any instructions with it or the famvir except it may have said with water.

11. Soccermom

Soccermom New Member

As far as Famvir or Acyclovir not working.....I would say IF YOU CAN...give it a good 3 weeks at least to see. My husband did that and he has had great success for some years now (time sure flies!).

He was taking maintenance dose and now is not on anything antiviral related. He used to take Lysine, but I'm not sure he's even on that.

The major first hurdle to clear seems to be finding a Dr. who WILL prescribe and who is a believer that it just might work....Dr. Gacek (the same one mentioned here) steered us towards a Dr. in our area who used to work under him. He's in Mass. and we're in Calif.! It was a Godsend.

Good luck to everyone!

Laura

12. June-

June- New Member

Defintely give it a chance. My dr said give it a month and if any improvement is noted, take it for two more months.

13. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Bump ahead for the benefit of the newbies here...

14. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

The topic of the usefulness of prescription anti-herpetic drugs, such as acyclovir, famvir, et al., has been discussed many times on this board. And the general usefullness of these against many or most cases of Menerie's is becoming ever more clear.

But interested readers should not neglect the evidence of the similar (or exceeding) usefulness of over the counter l-lysine as a functioning, inexpensive, no-side-effects supplement. While many are trying to persuade their physicians to prescribe famvir or acyclovir for their Meniere's, l-lysine could be easily and cheaply purchased and safely used without a prescription.

In short, l-lysine, when properly consumed, is known to restrict or stop replication of herpes viruses, thereby suppressing or eliminating herpes symptoms, whether those of herpes cold sores, the pain of shingles (a herpes disease), or the symptoms of Meniere's.

There is one significant difference between the prescription anti-herpetics. To bring lasting relief, they must be continually prescribed and taken. But many physicians will not allow chronic, long-term consumption of these drugs. They may bring initial or short-term relief, but what is one to do after the final prescription runs out, when Meniere's symptoms again resume? One can continue to plead with the physician for "just another" prescription. But sooner or later, most physicians will put an end to these prescriptions. They have no good clinical data to support the notion that these can be taken chronically and perpetually without side effects. To be safe (and stay clear of tort lawyers), most physicians will protect themselves (well, their patients they would claim) and finally terminate anti-herpetic drug prescriptions.

None of that will happen with l-lysine. It's over the counter, has virtually no side effects, is equal to or superior to prescription anti-herpes drugs, and can be cheaply taken for the rest of your life.

I've been taking a daily does of l-lysine for eight years or so. My Meniere's remains under complete control with no symptoms whatsoever (except when I went off the lysine for a short period).

I would suggest that those interested in controlling any of the herpes viruses that are the base cause of Meniere's Disease read and consider carefully my Meniere's Treatment Regimen writeup that delves into all of this in much greater detail.

The taking of 3000 mgs of lysine each day, with 1000 upon arising, at least 20 min before breakfast, followed by a mid-afternoon 1000 mg dose, at least 2 hr after lunch, ending with a final 1000 mg dose upon retiring, can provide significant, lasting relief from Meniere's symptoms.

I would note, however, that for many who undertake this (and the other portions of my regimen) symptoms unfortunately can get a bit worse in the first weeks of the regimen. But in virtually every case where this occurs, persistence of a few more weeks eventually yields welcome, declining levels of symptoms. After two or three months (sometimes it takes up to four or five months), the lysine and other elements of the regimen bring welcome relief.

Again, those pondering the availability, applicability, and efficacy of prescription anti-herpetic drugs should likewise consider l-lysine.

Read about it more completely here:

http://www.menieresresources.org/Resources/HomePage?action=download&upname=ANewApproachtoMenieresDisease-TheJohnofOhioRegimen.pdf

And for those who undertake any of this, please post your experiences here for others to consider.

--John of Ohio

15. June-

June- New Member

I have gotten lasting relief from antivirals and I do not take them continuously. I have taken them more than once. I was fortunate that my dr's did not hesitate to prescribe them a second time. I myself was worried that it might be dangerous to take them multiple times and was told aids patients take them for years. But it is not necessary at least in my case to take them continuously I am happy to say.

16. Canyonman

Canyonman New Member

John,
    You mention the L-lysine part of the regimine as follows:

"The taking of 3000 mgs of lysine each day, with 1000 upon arising, at least 20 min before breakfast, followed by a mid-afternoon 1000 mg dose, at least 2 hr after lunch, ending with a final 1000 mg dose upon retiring, can provide significant, lasting relief from Meniere's symptoms."

I took the entire JOH regimine and the 3000 mg of lysine for three months with great response and almost a complete reduction in my bilateral symptoms. Recently I cut back to 500 mgs of lysine for maintenence and I have had renewed symptoms again. Should I continue taking the 3000 mg indefinitely? I wasn't sure how long I could stay on this high dosage.

thanks!

Canyonman

17. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

I also have gotten lasting relief from antivirals and I do not take them continuously. I have found over the years advocating anti-virels here that most doctors will in fact RX a repeat if you got relief a year ago for example... Yes Lysine is great however I REPEAT the Acyclovir study about once a year and don't have to worry about taking a pill every single day!

18. June-

June- New Member

I agree. I think most dr's who will rx antivirals once will do it again if/when needed.

19. vasu

vasu New Member

I've read on the web that to control herpes, arginine should be limited, and that foods containing a high ratio of lysine to arginine should be consumed. I noticed that I was consuming a fair amount of nuts and orange juice before (both being the lowest in lysine/arginine ratio) and I am trying to cut back on these.. Do you guys on lysine choose foods that are high in this ratio? JOH especially: What do you think..

20. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Vasu,

Yes there are a number of listings of arginine-containing foods, and arginine, a normal dietary amino acid, as is lysine, actually promotes herpes virus replication or reproduction. Lysine slows or stops the virus. Arginine increases it, and counteracts lysine's suppression of herpes viruses.

Consequently, it's best to reduce arginine consumption.

But frankly, I've never engaged in that. I eat whatever my wive prepares and pay no attention to arginine content of my foods. I believe that that the doses of lysine in my regimen, which are taken without food (diligently) sufficiently overcome incidental food arginine.

But there is no doubt arginine consumption can exacerbate Meniere's symptoms. I personally experienced that. Several years ago I mistakenly consumed an arginine supplement for another condition. At the time, I was not aware of its counter-lysine affects. But within a week or so it was very clear. A bit of hydrops (pressure) appeared, and some small, short, but unsettling dizzy attacks appeared. I quickly made the connection, checked up on arginine, and put that supplement aside forever. I had unwittingly negated the positive effects of the lysine I was taking and my Meniere's symptoms started to return.

--John of Ohio