A Successful New Approach to Meniere's Disease -- Official John of Ohio regimen

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by solari, May 20, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

1000 mgs of lysine is not enough to stop a herpes infection in the inner ear. It should be 3000 mgs, taken in three 1000 mg doses throughout the day, without food.

Butterbur is not a part of my regimen. It is used to suppress migraines and asthma. It can reduce inflamation, so it may be helpful.

--John of Ohio

2. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

John,
    I think I asked you about this once before but Taximon5 suggested I ask you about it because you know so much about this kind of stuff.

I wondered if you know anything about the blood disorder/disease HTLV II. I was able to contact a Dr. on line and he said that is seemed possible to him that Meniere's and HTLV II are linked. I've written back to him asking where can I go to get more information and if there are any study groups that are or would be interested in looking into it.

This probably isn't the right venue to ask but it was the first place I saw your name today on line.

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

No, I was not familiar with this virus or any of its diseases, so I looked it up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_T-lymphotropic_virus_2).

I could see nothing that would connect it with Meniere's. It's certainly not a herpes virus, and I could discover no associations or connections with any MM symptom.

--John of Ohio

4. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Thanks John - because HTLV II is a blood disorder of the immune system and I have a number of problems that are associated with the immune system, I keep looking for a culprit for those autoimmune problems and I keep coming back to my blood disorder. Most doctors get excited when I tell tham I have this disorder but after looking up what's availiable, they tend to dismiss any connection. Again, thanks for looking John.

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Hollymm,

Have your doctors checked your serum vitamin D level? There is a strong correlation between immune dysfunctions and low vitamin D. I (and the Vitamin D Council) would suggest that you attain a minimum serum vitamin D level of at least 50 ng/ml. Because you have a form of cancer, 80 ng/ml is a better target. Until you get tested, after a few months of vitamin D supplementation, take 5000 IU of vitamin D3 per day, taken (for best absorption) with the day's largest meal.

Read closely all the associated pages (Treatment, Toxicity, Cancer,et al.) at this site:
    www.vitamindcouncil.org

--John of Ohio

6. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I' going to make a new appointment with my Otolaryngologist so I can discuss this very thing. I'll make sure to write it all down because we all know about the fog factor! Thanks again.

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

And don't be surprised if the good doctor shrugs his shoulders and says straight away the vitamin D couldn't possibly be a factor, that it's known to be important for calcium metabolism but little else. More and more contemporary doctors are learning of and believing in the crucial health-giving roles of adequate (meaning large) amounts of vitamin D. But there are still many who haven't read or learned of the modern research on vitamin D.

Let us know what happens.

--John of Ohio

8. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

The butterbur I take because the neurologist (who disagreed about the MM diagnosis and thought I had a migraine disorder) recommended it.

I thought that I had read that you recommended 1000 mg of Lysine as an amount appropriate for keeping an INactive herpes infection suppressed? I had been taking more, plus most of the rest of your regimen, until I was symptom-free for several months.

9. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

I recommend 500 to 1000 mg dosages to keep inactive herpes infections inactive. Generally, 500 mgs seems to work, but because lysine is so cheap and safe, a 1000 mg dosage can be considered.

--John of Ohio

10. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

hello John,
    My name is John also, I am from Ireland. I was diagnosed 4 years ago and have 50% hearing loss in left ear. i could live with the menieres for the first few years but life has been at an all time low for the last 6 months. bad attacks every few days with constant dizziness and brain fog. I posted my first post under hank's long thread a few days ago.
    i discovered this site last week and i must admit i finally see some light from the dark place i was in.
    i am very excited about your regimen john. i have ordered everything from vitaminshoppe but i live in ireland so hopefully they will arrive with no problems.
    I also went to the chiro yesterday.
    just a few questions if you dont mind John,
    1. i am taking serc, will this interfere with the regimen?
    2. i am about to start on acyclovir, is this a good idea with your regimen?
    also, i would like to thank you John for your invaluable advice and dedication to helping others, you really sound like a good man.
    i will let you all know how i get on, really excited now about the possibility of getting my life back and playing sport again, and also being a good husband to my wife. she has a lot to put up with!!

11. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

John.

Both Serc and acyclovir can be taken with the regimen, without any problems. They all complement each other. They all attack the disease in different ways. All worth trying, even at the same time.

Be sure that you are following the most recent version of the regimen, which recommends 3000 mgs of lysine each day, not the 1500 mgs in an earlier (but still posted) version. The most recent version is here:
    http://www.menieresresources.org/Resources/HomePage?action=download&upname=ANewApproachToMenieresDisease-TheJohnOfOhioRegimenJan2010.pdf

Keep us posted on your progress. Be aware that results can take some time, even as long as several months, so be persistent.

My very best.

--John of Ohio

12. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

thanks John.
    When i was younger i remember getting a cold sore on my cheek, just below my ear and it was almost 3/4 of an inch in diameter. i remember the doctor at the time being baffled becasue cold sores usually appear on lips/nose etc as you all know. before all my symptoms started, i had to undergo tests for an irregular heartbeat. after a year and a half i could return to sport and it was diagnosed as a virus.
    could all this activity lead to a very active simplex herpes virus in my body, and would this have started my menieres?
    i am starting on famvir or acyclovier tomorrow so i pray to god it will help, do you think it will. had a very bad day today.
    thanks for all the help,
    john.

13. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

John,

Yes, very likely you have some embedded herpes viruses, probably in your Meniere's inner ear. Whether or not they derived from your earlier cold sore is unknown. But your earlier susceptabililty to that infection could well indicate a later susceptabilitly to some other herpes virus that could infect the inner ear. The two conditions are almost surely related in some way, but perhaps not directly.

The famvir or acyclovir should really help. But two things can intervene. The dosages for these must be high enough (and I really don't know what those should be), and treatment duration should be long enough. A short two- or three-week therapy probably won't work. But again, I'm not certain of effective dosage durations.

If you can, I'd strongly suggest complementing the drug therapy with 3000 mg of lysine, as described in my regimen writeup. I don't know about the availabliltly of lysine in Ireland, whether or not a chemist (pharmacist) can offer this or not. Over here, it's off the shelf stuff, without a prescription. It can really help the famvir or acyclovir work, especially aftet you have to go off those drugs.

Keep me posted.

--John of Ohio

14. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

hello again John,
    Sorry for bothering you again but i am just back from my local nutrition shop and i got lysine, ginko bilboa, Vitamin c c 2000, and methylsufonylmethane.
    the lemon bio, vertigoheel and vinpocetine are en route from USA to ireland and i should have them next week.
    my friend in the local nutrition shop gave me olive leaf complex in liquid form, he says it is very potent stuff and it is widely used for fighting a range of virus, including the herpes simplex virus. would you reccommend this while i am waiting for my shipment from the states? it is made by a company calledcomvita in new zealand and each 5ml teaspoon contains olive leaf extract equiv. to 5000mg freah leaf standardised to contain 22.0mg oleuropein.
    it was fairly expensive so i hope it helps. is this ok to start with, and should i compliment this with your regimen?
    Thanks in advance John.

15. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

John,

I'm not familiar with olive leaf extract, but I'm sure it would be fine to give it a try. And I'm sure it will not conflict with any part of my regimen, either; so feel free to use any combination of any of these at any time.

Keep me posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

16. ConfusedNAnnoyed

ConfusedNAnnoyed New Member

I read online that Olive Leaf Extract when taken with L Lysine doesn't allow L Lysine to work properly. I used to be taking Olive Leaf Extract but stopped after I read about it messing with L Lysine.

17. jbtambien

jbtambien New Member

I am new to Meniere's and this is my first post to this board. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. This is a new, scary, and unpleasant set of symptoms I have been handed. :mad: (Can I hand them back!!??) The posts on this board are helpful, and hopeful. I'm too new for acceptance yet, but I see that it is possible for my future. :)

This JOH thread is and old one. I'm hoping that posting my question here is the right place for a new question.

I have a question about versions of the John of Ohio regimen. I see a 2005, 2010, and 2011 version when I do searches. Has it been updated since the May 2011 version? Here is the version I am looking at: http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf

18. simplnsweet

simplnsweet New Member

Hi Jbtambien.
    I must have posted or bookmarked this thread as I just received a msg that there has been a new post. Back in Feb. 2011, my MD returned with an avengenous after 4 yrs of being in remission. I followed JOH regeime ( probably the May one) and it did not help me. Being in Canada, I even order the Lemon Bioflavanoids from the States as that particular formula is not available here in any of the stores, at least at that time. Since Feb. 2011, my MD progressed very rapidly. By July, I was on Serc three times per day and a water pill. My vertigo attacks started to become more frequent and then by Dec 2011 they were very frequent and the tinnitus was 24/7 and the hearing loss was progressing. I was following a very low sodium diet (I am a dietitian so I was very strict on following it) and I tried to keep my stress down and avoided caffeine. To date, I have completely lost all hearing in my affected ear; the tinnitus is bearable now after retraining my brain (read Kevin Hogan's book, Tinnitus: turning down the volume); and my vertigo attacks which at one point led me to consider going on disability have almost vanished. My ENT believes i am at the burn out stage. Reflective of other MD sufferers, I am in pretty good shape. I woudl rather have a rapid progression to a stable stage then a slow decline. I am sharing my experience not to scare you but expect progression. Learn as much as you can and when you have a vertigo attack, embrance it and not resist it as it makes it worse. I learned to walk with my eyes closed and using my memory to help me naviage to my bedroom to seek refuge. Try the JOH regime, it may work for you.

19. Zona

Zona New Member

John, I have been using the Regime since April, 2013. It has helped so much with the vertigo and other issues. Thank YOU so much for freely giving many of us relief from this disease.

I do have a question, I notice that the small blood vessels in my mouth and throat are very close to the surface, I seem to be bleeding quite easily, is this from the Regime opening up the small blood vessels to allow greater blood flow and is that normal? Doesn't look very good, I must say.

Also one of my major triggers is ice cream, anyone else found that to be the case as well?

20. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

simplnsweet and Zona,

This thread is for Success stories.If you have questions the best place to post is in your living room.There you will get answers to your questions.Here is a link if you can't find it.

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html