A Good Potato Substitute

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Papajoe, Feb 20, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

I eat a lot of potatoes in my elimination diet, but I know there are some who can't eat potatoes. And if you're doing a rotation diet, it's good to have extra foods you can eat, so that you don't eat the same food too often.

I recently got some cassava from Sams Club. Cassava is a root vegetable from South America. It's also known as yuca (not to be confused with yucca, which is a catcus), and if you've ever had any tapioca pudding - tapioca is actually cassava flour.

If you cut the root into strips and fry them, they are almost indistinguishable from french fries. I tried grating some this morning, and made some hash browns. They are almost indistinguishable from potato hash browns.

2. jrw

jrw New Member

Sweet potatoes or yams are good, too, and it's easy to make baked fries with them. They're lower on the glycemic index than white potatoes, too.

Is Cassava pretty bland like tapioca?

3. highway

highway New Member

try jicama (heekama, hickama)

http://www.sallybernstein.com/food/columns/ferray_fiszer/jicama.htm

4. Papajoe

Except I take sweet potatoes :(

Cassava is pretty bland, which is why seasoning is required. But that's somewhat true of potatoes as well.

5. Papajoe

Cool - I saw those in Whole Foods the other day but decided to research them before I tried them. Then I promptly forgot to google them. Thanks for the link - I'll definitely get some the next time I go shopping at WF.

6. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member