“I have an inner ear thing”

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by mcdizzy, Nov 4, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

I have been telling people I have Menieres Disease lately when they ask about my cane. I used to just say I have an inner ear thing. I decided to try and help gain awareness for this condition. Those that ask more, I try to explain more.

Today I had a lady make me rethink this. She actually asked if I was sure it was Menieres cause “there’s a lot of stuff going around now that is making people dizzy”. So there is apparently some stain of flu out there that is mimicking Menieres? ???…. Right…. ::) I told her my “flu” had been diagnosed as Menieres by two ENT’s two years ago and one Neurotologist this year.

She then told me Menieres was her biggest fear as she was a huge Vincent van Gough fan. (not really sure you can contract MM by looking at paintings, but whatever…. :p)
    She asked again if I was sure so I said “I have an inner ear thing” and she finally left satisfied.
    Stick a fork in me I'm done..... :-X

2. burd

burd New Member

The easiest and quickest explanation I use is that I have a vestibular disorder that affects my sense of balance.
    If they don't know what vestibular is they can ask, but I've learned not to give up too much information initially as most don't want to know beyond answering their brief curiosity. I don't like using the word dizzy too much as many say "oh yeah I've had that." Yeah right....

3. mcdizzy

Wow, I really came off bitchy in my post.....note to self - read before posting......sorry all!!!

Thank you Burd for your kind reply, I may borrow the "vestibular disorder that affects my sense of balance".

4. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I am really F*&ked up right now is universal. Plus it gets people away from you pretty quickly.

5. jools

jools Guest

I didn't think it was bitchy, I agree with your sentiment :)

Like Burd I just tell people I have an inner ear disorder that results in vertigo attacks lasting hours at a time. They usually come back with an 'oh I get that vertigo sometimes' and like Burd my inner voice goes 'yeah whatev, you ain't got a clue'!

6. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

LOL

7. burd

burd New Member

Re: “I have an inner ear thing”

You weren't bitchy at all.
    This is bitchy...
    :D :D And I love it.  We are all entitled at some times.
    Bitchy with the right timing is beautiful thing, because then it becomes sarcasm. Gawd I love sarcasm.
    I think I feel a tear coming on.  Pass the tissues Dog.

8. Tara

Tara New Member

I just say I have a balance disorder. Too much information doesn't help.

My son says: Sometimes my mommy falls down. :p

9. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Have you ever looked at any of them?

10. Papajoe

I say I have an inner ear condition with vertigo. If they're interested I tell them more.

11. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I tell them "you know how some people get to a certain age they have a bum knee? Well, I have a bum ear."

If they want to know more, I tell them I have my doctor's number in my cell phone and they can call, make an appointment with him and he'll explain it.

(that is my version of "stick a fork in me")

12. June-

June- New Member

You all must be good conversationalists. Noone wants to hear much about my ears.

13. thornapple

thornapple New Member

They don't want to hear about mine, either, but when I can't understand what they said or even notice them talking to me, they ask me if I am deaf or something. I suppose I could just say "yes".

I guess the people who want to know WHY I am deaf might be good conversationalists...but they don't really want that much information, or don't understand the explanation, so I don't tell them why.

14. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

I say I have an inner ear disorder that causes random episodes of vertigo and then I go on to state so that people who don't have it actually get it is I say I feel motion sick 24/7. Usually gets people to quit asking annoying questions. I get so SICK of explaining myself.

15. mcdizzy

Thanks for your replies. I have compiled them to be my new and improved response.

"I have a bum inner ear vestibular condition with vertigo and balance disorder causing me to be really F*&ked up right now. I believe I got it from looking at van Gough art."

What do you think? I can’t wait to try it out! ;D ;D ;D

Ps Will try to continue posting from the mental facility I get sent to …. ;)

16. burd

burd New Member

Perfect! :D :D

17. jools

jools Guest

;D I'm going to use that one too! See you in the padded cells ;)

18. Tara

Tara New Member

I'll come visit.

19. Papajoe

I'll have your room ready when you get here.

20. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

they wont let you leave.