Zofran for nausea?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by maryjobo, Feb 4, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. maryjobo

maryjobo New Member

Has anyone had any experience with this? My Meniere’s has been flaring and I recently had several severe attacks of vertigo with lots of vomiting. My internist gave me 2 prescriptions, one was for a 1.5 mg Transderm-Scop patch and the other was for Zofran. He said the Zofran was quite strong and usually used only by cancer patients or folks who have trouble with anesthesia and he suggested that I try it only if the patch didn’t work.
    I used the patch and it worked great, except it caused such extreme dry mouth and is very expensive. Some folks on the forum suggested I try meclizine which seemed to work pretty well, but it made me so sleepy that I could hardly function.
    The last couple of weeks I've been better with mostly just intermittent dizziness and only a couple of vertigo attacks, but I was wondering if Zofran would be worth trying if I needed something strong again in the future.
    Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. CGR

CGR Guest

Honestly, i think marijuana is the best remedy for nausea. Zofran helped me post-op (yes, it is powerful), but i'd rather not do that one long term. Meclizine made me numb.

3. gert157

gert157 New Member

I have been given Zofran pre-op several times, due to problems with anethesia post operatively.... My dr. gives it before surgery to try and give me a head start in preventing nausea when I come to.....He gives me that as well as the patch pre-op.... It has always worked pretty well, but sometimes I would still need a bump of something else to prevent vomiting when coming out of it....... I know my ent. wrote me a script for zofran when I had a severe flair with the MM, but even with insurance it was still quite expensive.. We have Blue Cross........ Phenegran or promethazine are anti nausea meds. that have worked quite well for me and are inexpensive..... They have stopped making the suppositories, but still make them orally...... Zofran is indeed a strong anti nausea, I can't speak to how it makes you feel in a conscious state however... Like trying to do day to day tasks... It was only given to me in the hospital before any ear surgeries........ Hope this helps!! Good Luck!!
    p.s. I nauseate very easily so maybe that is why all the precautionary meds. were given, but anything involving the ear will usually cause nausea as you probably know.......

4. Ladysmokeater

Ladysmokeater Peace be with you my friend

They told mom, who is on chemo, that its great stuff, IF it works. They said some people for reasons not really understood, it just doesnt work. I would get a tiny perscription (its pricy) to begin with and if it works have the doc write a bigger one. That is what they did with mom. I think it works on her, but my sister (the nurse) also confirmed that some people it is useless because their bodies dont process it the same way as those who it helps.
    Still, its really expensive. I take antivert (meclizine in the form of dramamean 2) I have needed stronger like phinigrin, but when I have a spin I cant endure the car ride to the doc to get a stronger med. I take it when my BPPV flairs up too, it makes me sleepy, but stops the dizzies.

5. maryjobo

maryjobo New Member

CGR: In my younger and wilder days, I found out that dope makes me both silly and paranoid; with a vertigo attack I'd be giggling and spinning and puking and watching for the cops all at the same time, so I think I'll pass! :D
    Thanks everybody, I think I'm going to just shred the Zofran Rx.

6. SeanP

SeanP New Member

Zofran works great for me. I got a prescription for it when I was in the process of being diagnosed with Meneire's. After a bout of vertigo I tend to have several days of intense nausea. I tried meclizine first but that didn't help at all. After I take a Zofran the nausea melts away in about 30 minutes. It isn't effective for me during vertigo spells, but works during the readjustment period afterwards.

Zofran is horribly expensive. My pharmacy charges $1000 for 30 pills of the generic (ondansetron), but luckily I only pay 1% of that as a copay. Those 30 pills have lasted over two years though, since I only take it when things get really bad. It changes me from nonfunctional to operating a pretty high level. Several times I've been laying on the bathroom floor in the morning and took the pill then 30 minutes later was driving to work feeling fine. I haven't noticed any side effects either.

If you can get a sample from your doc it might be worth seeing if it works for you. It's not an every day medicine but can make some of those bad days more tolerable.

7. CGR

CGR Guest

I was more referring to a dose that would not cause you to feel high at all. :)

8. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

i'm very surprised at the expense. i get the generic of zofran-ondanesteron 4mg (sp?) as well. 30 pills for $10 copay. works pretty well for me. the ones that dissolve under your tongue though are very expensive.

9. gert157

gert157 New Member

Maryjobo,
    Don't know if I would shred the zofran just yet.... One post read $10.00 copay, that's pretty reasonable if you ask me..... I know that pot does work for nausea, but I too would have panic attacks,watch for the cops and eat!!!!!!!!!! That's no good... So personally I think I would pass on the pot too. All in all I do think zofran is a good anti nausea on those days that nothing else is gonna cut it......

10. mikeg

mikeg New Member

Don`t give up before you try it. I have used it and it works great but it does cost a bunch.

11. vikx

vikx New Member

Yes and please post back if you do try Zolfran. If Meclizine works for you, try 1/2 a pill-not so drowsy. It worked for me but I also used valium 2mg. with it. VK

12. maryjobo

maryjobo New Member

I went to the pharmacy on Friday to pick up all my meds and, unknown to me, my internist included the Rx for Zofran in his electronic message to the pharmacy, so they filled it. It was a $10 copay. I discussed my questions and reservations about it with the pharmacist and we agreed that Zofran might be a good thing to keep on hand as a backup. But I told her that I would have to have the kind you dissolve in your mouth, otherwise I'd be vomiting it up before it could help. I asked her what the cost would be and she thought it would be about the same $10. So she's going to call my internist and ask him to change the Rx. So if it's $10, I think I'll give it a shot.

13. princessmommy

princessmommy New Member

I use Zofran. I have two kinds (both are the generic brand-Onadestron). One is the kind that dissolves under your tongue and the other is a pill. They have saved me many a time. I took them also when I was pregnant and had horrible morning (all day) sickness. I also used phenegren suppositories and they worked as well, but I was SO very tired. With a vertigo attack, with the Xanax you take, you are pretty much out of it anyway...at least the amount that would "stop" an attack.

My insurance covers it at a teir 2 drug. We have a $20-40-60 copay. It is $40 for me and worth every penny. Before I could get the generic it was like $2 a pill or something. Costco is the cheapest place to get it that I have found.

14. lslmojim

lslmojim New Member

I love Zofran. It is the only thing that has worked for me to stop the vomiting. It does nothing for the vertigo or dizziness. I am allergic to Compazine and most of the others don't work. I have been told it was expensive but only pay 5.00 per rx with my insurance. I guess I am very fortunate.