Zofran - Dissolvable anti-nausea med

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by ThornInDaesSide, Mar 7, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. ThornInDaesSide

ThornInDaesSide New Member

Last year at this time, I was caring for an elderly friend, who was dying of liver cancer. Her doctor gave me samples of a dissolvable anti-nausea med, Zofran, which was wonderful! You simply put it on your tongue, and let it melt away. No water, no swallowing, which was great, as my friend couldn't take many pills.

I wonder if we could use Zofran ODT. It was intended for cancer patients, and contains phenylalanine, an amino acid that is one of the two components present in aspartame. DH was strictly ordered to avoid aspartame at all costs after a brief bout of cancer, so we avoid it like the plague.

However, for extreme nausea, I would consider using it. Has anyone here tried it?

2. annegina

annegina New Member

DT-
    We use it not just for cancer patients but for any severe nausea where I work
    It is given IV. When I was in the ER myself with my first Meniere's attack they gave it to me. It works well!! I've never heard of a dissolvable one. Sounds good!

Carol

3. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Hi DaesThorn-

I truly believe that Zofran is one of the best anti-emetics out there. The most common known form of it is in IV/injectable kind and is given for severe nausea.
    I have a horrible time after receiving anesthesia with vomiting and they always give this to me before they wake me up and it's my miracle drug- otherwise I end up spending the next several hours after surgery puking my guts out.
    It's also the common known med, as Carol said that we give to patients getting chemo. It's been around for quite awhile and is still one of the best ones.

It does come in normal pill form, dissolvable tablets and also in a liquid now too. I have had to take the pills a few times early on with the Menieres when the vomiting just didn't want to seem to subside and they worked their magic. There is only one drawback, this medication is VERY expensive.

Best wishes,
    Di

4. cupoftea

cupoftea New Member

5. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Ditto!

I always get it when I am anesthetized for surgery.

6. etlani

etlani New Member

Hi,

My ENT prescribed Zofran for me in November 2006 when I started having vertigo attacks that lasted 10-12 hours with a lot of vomiting. During one attack, my husband talked to my ENT, and he prescribed the pill that dissolves on the tongue. I was already about four hours into the attack and had lost track of how many times I had vomited. I took the pill, and it worked! For the next attack, I took a pill as soon as it started, and I didn't vomit at all. Now, it does take about a half hour for the pill really work, so I had to use some willpower and lay REALLY still until the pill worked. I did end up taking another eight hours later when I sat up to see if I could make it to the bathroom and the nausea hit again.

To be honest, I'm a little scared of it because it is pretty powerful stuff, but it has helped tremendously! And, yes, they are expensive.

I can't really compare it to anything else since is was the only med I've ever taken for vomiting, but it works like a charm.

Check it out.

I only take it during an attack, but I'm pretty sure I've read of someone that takes it more often to help with the daily nausea that accompanies dizziness.

Hope this helps!

Sue

7. vestibulardisaster

vestibulardisaster New Member

I have been given Zofran after surgeries for nausea. I also have them for nausea from MM in the regular pill form. Haven't heard of the dissolvable pill. All I know is it works great.

8. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i use is but it is very expensive; when i go to the hospital that is ussually what they give in my iv plus ativan and glucose - it is however, one of the few meds that really work for nausea/vomitting for me - i've been hospitalized numerous times because couldn't stop dry heaving and zofran is always what they gave first - i have the pills at home but they are costly

9. ThornInDaesSide

ThornInDaesSide New Member

I'll look into that, then. I can control the nausea from vertigo most of the time, but if I get a kidney stone attack, no way!

I hope my insurance will cover the cost...

10. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

That's what they gave to my friend when I took her to the ER when she had a seisure.(SP?)