Zestoretic versus Dyazide

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by poppaharley, Jun 10, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

Anybody take Zestoretic?

I've been on Dyazide as prescribed by my meniere's doc for about a year. Dose = 25mg once per day in the morning. I suppose it's helped, but who knows since I also do lo-so diet, JOH, etc. Before the LSD and JOH, I had 5 major vertibo attacks in less than two months. Then went to then having none for about 7 months, and how have had 3 in the past 5 months (two in April, none since...knock wood). I still have fullness sometimes, tinnitus sometimes, brain fog sometimes, and limited hearing sometimes. Any given day can be a grab bag of any or all in various combinations. One of my concerns is that since going on Dyazide, I've lost 15 pounds. Most of it was in the first two months and I've been relatively stable since then, but it seems that I can eat like a horse and maybe gain a pound or two and then lose it again when I stop. I now longer lift weights or run or anything like that since the meniere's. Doc says I'm not underweight and in the middle of the "body mass index" for my height. However, I don't like where I am and don't like people I haven't seen for awhile saying "hey, you've lost some weight" as if I wanted to.

Today I went for a regular physical with my GP and we discussed the weight. He wants to do some other tests, but on the surface I seem healthy and he thinks maybe the 25mg of Dyazide is too high. He wants me to try 12.5mg of Zestoretic. Both meds contain hydroclorothiazide but the Dyazide contains triamterene which is a potassiium sparing agent. If I switch, I'll have to be a lot more careful about potassium loss.

I hate to get into a sparing match between two doctors. I wrote my Meniere's doc for his opinion, but haven't gotten a reply. My concern is whether this half-dose of a different diuretic will be sufficient.

Anybody tried both? Anybody have any experiences with various doses of either?

Thanks in advance.

Tony