zero results with diuretic

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by gtrvox, Jun 9, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

The most recent attack has not subsided (one week now) This is the longest one I've ever had; looks like this time, it may be here to stay - hearing down substanitally and the rest of the crap I described in my previous post.

Here's the thing: I've been on the diuretic for 6 days and so far NADA. No effect on the fullness or hearing. But strangely enough, also zero effect on peeing. I don't go to the bathroom any more often than before

I had sushi for lunch today, so perhaps I should shut up about my symptoms but basically just had the fish and rice and only a droplet of the salty stuff :-\

Comments?

George

2. MedievalWriter

MedievalWriter Ryan's Rose Pvt Ryan Winslow KIA Iraq 4-2006

It took a year before I noticed a difference. But, at the end of that year I had my hearing back.

Maybe give it a little more time perhaps?

3. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

George--

I tried diuretics, got not results, and gave up on them. A year later, another doctor said, "I want you to take diuretics twice a day." I thought this was more of the same old crap, but surprisingly, it made a HUGE difference. That's not to say it cured me overnight or anything, but I saw steady improvement, with only the occasional bad spell. At the time, I was perpetually sick and considering permanent disability. Today, the only medicine I take regularly is my diuretics, and the last bad spell I had was in June of 2007.

I still have the occasional off day, and I will take a small amount of valium every now and then if I start to feel problems coming on, but I function at such a completely different level now than I did then, it's almost like being a different person.

Before you give up on diuretics, see if your doctor will either increase the dose or change you to a different kind. It's easy to say "diuretics don't work" when sometimes you just need the right type or dose.

4. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

Definitely I think 6 days is nothing yet. It actually has to be in your system. My Dr. told me to at least give it 2 months before quiting it.

5. Beth

Beth New Member

My 2nd dr. also told me recently that diuretics take a month or so to really do their thing. She also suggested I take mine in the morning at first, then later add another dose in the evening. However, I can't take it at all apparently; each time I try it I start having severe painful tingling and have to go off of it.

That is strange how you've noticed no difference in the potty- that's usually the first thing I notice within an hour of taking any diuretic! Who knows, maybe it's a male vs. female thing...

Sorry you're going through a rough spot lately- hope you feel better soon.

6. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

Thanks for the input. Naturally, I wasn't about to give up on this. I'll continue for a couple of months at least. I'm not even that surprised that the symptoms haven't abated. But I definitely would at least have expected higher urinary frequency ???

George

7. June

June New Member

Hang in there. Something will work.

8. June

June New Member

Please tell more Medievalwriter! You are the first person I have heard say they got their hearing back after a long time. Would you share your symptoms, duration, treatment and how long you have retained your hearing restoration? Thanks!

9. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

George -

Some people require more mgs than others. Have you discussed this with your doctor? Be careful because it lowers blood pressure. I'm sure the doctor is keeping that in mind (I hope).

Also, it seems to help some but not all.

10. kmartin

kmartin New Member

I have been on and off diuretics for the last year, but keep quiting because of side effects. I just spend 30 days on diamox and then switched over to diazide. No frequency in unination on the diamox (plus my hearing got worse), but a big difference in urine frequency when I switched (too soon to knowing if there will be a change in hearing). Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and get a little salt in your diet, be it minimal. My docs claims that with diuretics people can get their hearing back even years later. I'm shooting for a 60 day trial to see what it does.

Best wishes,
    Kathy

11. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I'm surprised there is a possiblity of getting our hearing back. Once those little hair cells die, they don't regenerate.

During the 5 years I took a diuretic, my hearing did not get better. The fullness improved and I felt better, but my hearing continued to decline.

12. June

June New Member

I guess I wonder if our bad hearing always represents hair cell death or destruction. My hearing fluctuates a whole lot so there are clearly times I do not hear well that are not a result of hair cell death because the hearing does come back. There must be other conditions that also temporarily or permanently cause bad hearing and hearing distortion.

13. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I see your point, June. Mine fluctuated for years, but does not fluctuate now -- it's just gone. I think that's pretty normal after having MM over 30 years. My little hair cells are dead.

I did not take a diuretic in those earlier years, so I have no way of knowing if it would have helped my hearing during that time.

14. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I had no hearing at all in my ear and then went on diuretics, and it all came back within a few days. This was at the origin of my diagnosis. My first sign was waking up deaf one morning. Obviously a diuretic helped me greatly. My comment was also to call the doc to see if you should double your dose. On especially bad days mine said I could take it twice a day, and this did help. After a while he doubled my dose and that helped me even more. Good luck. Lisa (I agree with June- my hearing fluctuated greatly for years. I'd think it was gone, and then magically it could get better. I always felt like it was in there somewhere! :) )

15. bertito

bertito The greatest composer who ever lived.

My ENT ans neurologist told me that diuretics take long time to kick in.. I've been taking them for 6 years.. and you are correct, I haven't notice an increase in urgency to go the bathroom.. As a prostate cancer survivor, I have been going to the bathroom frecuently, but it never increased after taking th diuretic...

16. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

Interesting, Bert! I've had chronic prostatitis on and off for almost 30 years and, like you, no stranger to frequent bathroom trips :) Somehow, I was under the impression that the first thing the diuretic would do is make you pee all the time. Obviously, I was mistaken.

I'll keep taking it and see what happens.

George

17. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

George, I was put on the same diuretic as you a couple of years ago. At the time of the first prescription, my ENT told me that this diuretic usually does not increase the frequency of urination. Instead, it's purpose is to change the consistency of the urine. I can not remember what detail he provided after that but it was something about riding the body of the waste without increasing volume.

As for how well it works, I haven't found any help from them. I came off them for a little over a month to see and noticed no change. But, different to you, I don't seem to react to sodium either.

Hang in there,
    Amethyst

18. deadeye

deadeye New Member

what diuretic are you on? i was on one for a long time, went to a new dr. (kemper) in austin. he changed my diuretic and it has helped me alot.

19. gtrvox

gtrvox our pooch Hugo

Thiazide (novo-hydrazide)

George