Zen and Meniere's

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Michael, Apr 16, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

I was wondering if anyone else here is involved in Buddhism. I have been a monk in the Soto Zen tradition for the last 8 years. Most of our services are held in silence and as you know, when you have Meniere's theres no such thing anymore.

Whether it helps or not with this specifically, I don't know. Any ideas ?

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

MIchael, the silence is not necessarily physical. Yes? I meditated years ago and was successful. The tinnitus faded somehow. How do I explain? I want to answer this but at the moment I cannot. Let me think. I hope I can come up with something. BTw, thank you for this topic.
    Paul

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

the only times I have not "heard" the tinnitus was when I participated in a sweat and when I meditated. This is not helping you, but I thought I would mention it. You are not doing any thing wrong. What is, is and you just go from there.

4. Michael

Michael New Member

Paul, thats interesting. I've heard a lot about sweats but never participated in one. I also like your statement "it's really just life"

5. Michael

Michael New Member

Intrepid,

Where are you practicing ? What kind of community ?

M

6. Michael

Michael New Member

I belong to the Soto Zen Center here in Atlanta. I've been active there for almost 10 years. It's been a huge help in a lot of areas of my life.

What city are you in ?

7. Michael

Michael New Member

Intrepid that would be fine. Sorry I was out of touch for awhile.

8. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

Michael, don't know anything about buddhism but as a Christian I can tell you that my spiritual life with this stuff really helps me. The Lord has pulled me out of some bad situations more that once when I was having a severe spinning attack by just calling out in the name of Jesus. Once on this website somebody called it spiritual vertigo, I liked that. Sometimes just saying the name of Jesus has stopped an attack for me, once when I was driving. You can definitely get into some terrible situations with this stuff. Having a strong spiritual life has been good for me.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

I first started meditating years ago. I'm out of practice now and the ear noises definitely distract me. I found yoga and tai chi have helped more since the onset of these symptoms. I have a very limited set of postures and movements but it puts me in the zone (at least as close as I can get) and helps my balance, too. I think it's the controlled breathing and movement.....yes I've fallen over a few times.

Leviticus, I've called on the name of Jesus to stop a heart arrhythmia several times. I found that if I truly believe it will work, it always does. When I have doubt, it does not. Sorta sounds like Peter on the water.

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

yoga and tai chi - i've tried but the continual head movements start vertigo

i do the relaxation techniques and breathing; when I meditate it's on God - Jesus - I too have had to call on the name of Jesus to stop a would be heart attack or near one -

11. pardonme

pardonme Guest

12. Ceeka

Ceeka New Member

I agree, Diane. I couldn't have said it any better.