Zatarain's - make it lower sodium, and they have low(er)-sodium versions too.

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Papajoe, Sep 23, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Zatarain's makes a series of Cajun style dishes, such as dirty rice, red beans and rice, jambalaya and a couple of others. But they do have a lot of sodium. We've started making it by leaving out about half of the seasoning mix. The flavor is still good and it still has a spicy bite. Use hamburger rather than sausage to keep the sodium down.

We've found that many pre-packaged foods can be prepared without adding all of the sauce/flavoring, thus lowering the mg/serving of sodium.

I noticed the other day that Zatarain's is now making low(er) sodium version of some of their mixes.

http://www.zatarains.com/Products/Reduced-Sodium-Rice-Mixes.aspx

2. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

Thanks, PapaJoe! I always liked a bit of dirty rice or jambalaya. :) I will see if I can get the lo sodium version of Zatarains. I cook with Buffalo burger a lot because it is low cholesterol, I'll have to check on the sodium content. Ah...here is some info from a buffalo website:

Buffalo meat is a very nutritious food. Buffalo meat is nutrient dense because
    of the proportion of protein, fat, minerals, and vitamins compared to its
    caloric value. Buffalo meat is lower in sodium, higher in iron, and moderate
    in zinc compared to other domestic meats. Because there is a well established
    link between heart disease, fat intake, and cholesterol levels, buffalo meat
    is ideal for those a low fat, low cholesterol diet. People suffering from red meat intolerance more easily digest buffalo, too.

3. phildsc

phildsc New Member

I love Zatarain's red beans and rice, but even the "low-sodium" veersion is quite high in something I probably don't need. I make my own jambalaya from scratch and have never used much salt although the bacon and sausage fill in well. I also use plenty of Worcestershire sauce for seasoning because it's failrly low in sodium.Dang, my moputh is watering! :p

4. Shining

Recipe, pleeeze? :D

5. phildsc

phildsc New Member

Recipe? It varies according to what is in the fridge. Essentials are the Cajun trilogy - onion, celery and green pepper. A smoky flavor is required and I don't like liquid phony smoke so I use a smoked sausage.If you use fully cooked sausage it just needs to be sliced and warmed. Some garlic, green onions top and all, all sauteed in a bit of bacon grease. Add plenty of cayenne sauce and Worcestershire while cooking. The hot will cook out of the pepper sauce. One item that might horrify a true Cajun is a can of sliced water chestnuts! Adds real texture to the food. When mostly done make a pot of rice, I prefer brown rice, and add the veggies and meat, turn the heat low and let it blend for 20-30 minutes. Not true Louisiana style but my family goes crazy for it

quantities are wide open. If you have a big onion use it, a small one also works. Same for bell peppers and celery stalks. You can hardly get too much of any of them. Sasoning comes with taste, smelling and experience.

Try it.

6. Shining

I was thinking maybe smoked cheese, but for sure the salt content is gonna be high. *sighs* Thanks for the recipe!

7. Sheri61

Sheri61 New Member

>>>I don't like liquid phony smoke so I use a smoked sausage<<<

I'm a vegetarian, so I have to resort to using Liquid Smoke. But your recipe sounds VERY good.

Papajoe, thanks for the info about Zatarains! My husband likes their foods, but I have not made them because of the sodium content. Never thought to add half a seasoning mix packet. Will definitely give it a shot.