You've got to be kidding me....

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by lifeinmotion, Jun 10, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. lifeinmotion

lifeinmotion New Member

Okay went and saw my ear doc today I've been having a really rough few weeks, had an ER visit on the worst day. I was so hoping he was going to offer me something positive. Instead he threw me around in the chair a bit (you know what I mean), asked me how I was, I said fine, he watched my eyes bounce around, asked if I was dizzy I said "Yep". I didn't take any medicine so he would see how bad it's getting for himself. He put me on Valium 3 times a day, told me to come back in a few weeks if it didn't make the vertigo better. and then says......................."There's nothing more I can do for you" :eek: He is a total human being though, at least he is honest, and didn't even charge me for my visit (I have no insurance). Money has been so tight I was planning on using grocery money to pay for today's visit.

I was not expecting that. Sooooooooo, I'm now on Antivert 25mg four times a day, 10 mg Valium three times a day, and Vistaril 50 mg three times a day. Low salt as best I can, no more caffeine, and cutting down on smoking as I was told to do. I feel overmedicated and told the doctor, I guess my choice is to lay on the floor and throw up or zone out on the couch overmedicated. I guess I'm venting.....Any suggestions? Where do I go now? What do I do now? I'm in TN and I'm unable to travel.......literally.

2. dizzy teacher2

dizzy teacher2 New Member

Holy cow, you are on a lot of meds. I take 2mg. of Valium and it knocks me out!

HHmm, what to do? I guess the best thing to do is try to take the meds, but at different times, not all at once. Maybe an hour apart? THat might help you not zone out so much. Lo so may be the best thing for you. I hope he told you to take, change things in stages. If you take all the meds and change to lo so and cut out smoking and cut out caffeine all at the same time, you won't know what worked for you (something will! :)).

Try not to worry, stay calm, and move slowly. Drink lots of Propel too if you feel dehydrated at all.

Take care,
    Patti

3. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

That's exactly what happened to me one time, actually with the last ENT I saw, he told me that Menieres is like that and that there's nothing preety much we can do. He told me that Diuretics is the only thing. So then of course I was not happy with him, and went to a Neurotologist and WOW......what a difference, this one gave me options and knew abour Menieres.

4. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

Hi Life--sorry you are having such a tough time
    like someone said, that is a lot of medication
    My neurotologist said that 6-8 mg of valium is the maximum they would recommend because that is about the point at which it has done about the most it can for your vertigo and much beyond that only increases the drowsiness and other side effects without having much effect on the vestibular symptoms
    The meclizine is less risky because of issues with valium pertaining to tolerance, dependence and impact on intellectual functioning--let me note that I advocate taking any meds we can to reduce suffering with this, but the MD is treating you for anxiety with those dosages, not merely MM

suggestions?
    yes, do everything humanly possible to stop smoking (and I don't mean with a stop smoking product that has nicotine--that is the chemical you want to avoid)--the first ENT I saw many years ago said he knew of cases where even second hand smoke could adversely affect the inner ear

having said that, I realize it is probably something you enjoy and quality of life is important, so I would suggest trying to replace it with something else that might be pleasurable but not as bad for your MM--in fact, try to enjoy yourself and de-stress in any way you can
    also, when you are able, exercise all you can

see about finding another doctor--I know that may not be feasible, but he has acknowledged his limitations but not yours

read all you can about MM at this site and any place else you can

wish I could offer more assistance--good luck

5. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I was also going to ask if you see a neuroTologist. Mine was able to help me and offer a lot more solutions than my ENT. I was prescribed valium 3x per day as needed at 5mg. I was very tired when taking this dose, but only had to take it once in a while and then things would get better. A diuretic really helped me. ARe you unilateral? When the drugs failed to help I did have surgery. Gent injections are something to consider, but they are expensive. Sometimes if they say there is nothing else to be done, it is time to seek out someone else. I know that is hard for you right now. I really respect your doc for not charging you. I hope you feel better soon. (Have you looked into John of Ohio's regimen here?) Lisa

6. June

June New Member

I hope you feel better. I would look for an oto in Tennessee who will see you knowing you have to pay on time. Maybe at a university hospital they would have some kind of assistance or sliding scale. I would call the medical school hospitals.

7. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Yes, you are on a very high dose of valium. I can understand why you are feeling over medicated.

When I was at my worst (probably not as bad as you feel), I took antinauseants and lorazapam (4 mg max over a day) to combat my symptoms. During an attack I would lie as motionless as possible on my couch with a bucket nearby. I felt miserable. My only comfort was dog Storm who would snuggle up no matter what hell I was going through. Bless him. However, my attacks would only last only 4 or 5 hours, after which I was able to move slowly around without getting thrown back into vertigo. I don't know what I would have done if it lasted all day.

During these attacks I would always remind myself that they would eventually end. And they did! This gave me strength to endure the whole wretched thing.

When your attack is over, I hope you will get further help in getting your symptoms under control. Hang tight.

Joe

8. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Wow that seems like an awful lot of sedating type drugs to put together, you must feel like a zombie. I use to zone out on just 25 mg of Meclizine mixed with a Valium. My maximum dosage was 5 mg of valium with 25 mg of meclizine twice a day. Then you add the Visteral to it that seems pretty potent. Did you have issues with anxiety before the Meniere's symptoms started or were they seperated in time?

I found Meclizine was good for the nausea but did nothing for vertigo. The valium was good for the vertigo. I have only recently started having anxiety issues, more related with going through menopause than anything else, it is part of my cycle. The valium doesn't cut it in those situations, so I can see using something stronger.

I would cut down on the caffeine first, I think that in turn would help to cut down on your urge to smoke. Take it slow. It's hard. I'm thinking they are the only things that will keep you awake with all the drugs. I know when I was on the medications, I use to drink coffee just to stay awake, it wasnt until later that coffee started to become a trigger.

Drink lots of water to remain hydrated, all those drugs are very drying and take good care of your teeth. You may develop cavities along your gumline on your top teeth from not having enough saliva in your mouth to counteract the bad bacteria. I use a rinse to strengthen the enamel.

I would seek a second opinion also.

9. lifeinmotion

lifeinmotion New Member

Guess I should clarify a little bit, my ENT is a partner practice, he (my doc) is actually an oto, and he is the one that saw me today. I called the office back after looking up dosages and saw this was the maximum dose of valium my God I'm not dying (sure feels like it sometimes but not today), anyways I asked if the prescription was correct. Sure enough it wasn't, he meant for it to say.........and be.........2mg 3 times per day for vertigo not to exceed 10mg. Giving me room to see what works best for me. And yes everyone does seem to be medicating me for anxiety, my anxiety causes me to pass out though, not get dizzy and anxiety doesn't show until after Meneire's symptoms show. Oh yeah and I can't leave my house except short lived visits to doctor, or grocery store. I've stopped driving my son to school it's not safe anymore and I realize it. Looking back now I think it was Meniere's all along.....4 years ago but wasn't at it's worst so everyone thought it was just anxiety.

It's still frustrating for me to have to correct a doctor? I know they are busy and all, and he is trying to help me out, but my goodness 10 mg 3 times a day on a regular basis would have knocked me out lol. I hate the spins but I'd still like to be awake during this lifetime.

I will keep trying to find another doctor, but there just aren't any here, it's a small area. Hopefully my car jitters will give up and I will be able to travel to someone soon, fortunately I do have someone to drive me where I need to go. Thanks for the added information it is very helpful!

10. sjwo1

sjwo1 Hiking Utah

Yes, 2mg 3x a day is much better than 10mg 3x a day!! I dont know your overall medical details but in my experience the proper management of MM is to 1- Understand your condition as much as possible via testing etc. and 2- Have a plan in place that is progressive and moves forward as your symptoms dictate. If you are unilateral and have classic MM as evidenced by test results....and you are not responding to current medical therapy then from my view you move forward with the next step on the plan. There is a fix for unilateral intractable vertigo....although you dont want to go to the last step on the plan first. All of this of course depends on your situation, time with the disease, and health care that is available to you. Also be sure you have done all of the basics...betahistine? etc. Then work your progressive plan. Good luck. Many on the board feel your pain and understand where you are coming from. Sid.

11. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Well said Sid. After 10 years I had a laby last August and do feel cured. My hearing is gone in that ear, but otherwise I feel wonderful. Lisa