Your opinion, JOH?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by phildsc, Sep 20, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. phildsc

phildsc New Member

I am taking 1500 iu of calcium daily along with 400mg magnesium citrate and 5000 iu of D3. All this in addition to the full JOH regimen and four prescriptions for BP, and atrial fib. My GP has recommended that I not take the calcium at the same time as the prescriptions as I had read on a container of calcium that it shouldn't be taken with antibiotics. This is supported by several websites. i.e.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/calcium-000945.htm

The question. Could it be a problem to take one 500 iu calcium tablet with the early morning dose of 1000 mg L-lysine? Since we are treating the L-lysine as a biotic suppressor I don't really want to interfere with its action, but it is most convenient to take the calcium at that time.

???

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

The calcium will not interfer with the absorption of lysine. Foos will. So take the lysine and the 500 mgs of calcium together.

And it's best to take the magnesium away from the calcium. When taken together, the magnesium gets absorbed better than the calcium. When taken apart (by several hours or so), both get absorbed well.

--John of Ohio

3. songbird

songbird New Member

John,

I don't get this...much of the calcium i have found (in liquid form) has the magnesium in it. I'm confused now.

i take 1000 IUs of calcium in the morning and the evening with food; the magnesium (400) in the morning.

How should I handle this? I suppose I could take the magnesium at noon?

Songbird

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Magnesium and calcium are absorbed by identical or similar absorption molecules in the gastrointestinal tract. If magnesium is present, it is aborbed preferentially, leaving the calcium poorly absorbed. But if the calcium and magnesium are taken at different times, there is no absorption competition. Both get absorbed adequately (when in the organic forms, not the mineral forms of calcium carbonate or magnesium oxide).

Yes, a larger number of vitamins and supplement simply combine the calcium and magnesium. This is better than getting none of these. But because there is a calcium/magnesium absorption conflict, with magnesium predominating, it's better to take these at different times.

--John of Ohio

5. songbird

songbird New Member

OK! I'll change my routine. Thanks for the absorption lesson, your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Songbird