Your input need re: Medicare Supplemental Insurance Coverage please

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by DizzAJ, Mar 30, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. DizzAJ

DizzAJ New Member

Knowing there are some who only hang out either on the Front Porch or in the Living Room, I am posting this in both areas hoping to gather as much input as I can. I am so confused and worried, and would like your in put concerning Medicare supplemental insurance coverage. ??? :-\:( :'(

Yesterday when checking my bank balance I learned on 3/19 SS had deposited a large amount of money in my account, but has yet to notify me via mail about the deposit, how it was paid, and if I was eligible for MC, etc.

Immediately I contacted SS to learn more. Out of the five years, they paid two; because I had turned 62, and began receiving widows aged benefits, which is fine. They had also paid my attorney who too failed to let me know, and had also deducted my Medicare Part B for March! So here unknowingly I been covered with both Pat A & B since March, while paying well over $2,000 for my private pay insurance coverage, including meds, and deducts! :eek:

Last night I began reading about Medicare Supplemental insurance Plans, and the more I read, the more confused, and depressed I became. Knowing there are others here who receive MC, I would welcome your participation on what you have chosen as your “SELF PAY” Medigap Plans, why, and how they have been working out for you. Currently, I have a self-pay BC Plan, but quickly need to learn all I can with April 1 hitting on Sunday!

Thanks in advance for your sharing your thoughts.

AJ

2. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Hi Adrienne,
    I just got my Medicare stuff too!. Got my explanation of the money in the bank account about a week after they put it in, so it should be coming soon for you! Your Medicare part B would be in effect now. Part A went into effect two years and six months from the time you became disabled. You should be getting your regular Medicare card shortly! I just picked my Medicare C plan last Friday! Took a long time to compare and contrast! One thing you want to take into account is if your doctors participate in the plans, very important! There were about 6 plans offered here that my doctor's, or hardly any doctor would take. The website is hard to navigate, I know.

Then you have to pick based on your health. If you go into the hospital frequently or expect to, then I would pick one with a low copayment for hospitalization. Check out the drugs you take too! Each plan has a different copay rate for drugs. What might be considered a generic for one plan might be a tier three high copay one in another. Some plans are cheap but they typically have a high deductible that has to be met before they pay anything out. The copay does not include drugs, but most other things. I would only pick something like that if I didn't go to the doctor's frequently, was not really expecting any expensive tests or surgeries and the like or could afford it(potentially have to pay thousands out in a short period of time). There is alot to factor in, both the premium and then the potential copays and it is time consuming. I have alot of upcoming things MRI's and the like, EMG's and possible pain management physical therapy. So I picked one that had lower copays for physical therapy and tests and slightly higher copays for drugs but mine still has the 900 copay for hospitalization but hopefully I don't end up there even though I might.
    My husband dropped me off his insurance on Monday so right now I just have the Medicare A and B. Supposedly I picked my C plan far enough in advance that it becomes effective April 1st. My next scheduled tests and appointments are April 1st.
    Another note if you have been paying self pay insurance, the premiums you paid in March are usually for the following month which is April. So you should still be covered by that plan for the next month. Call and make sure that is how it works because most do.
    Joanne

3. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Thanks to both of you for the question and answer. I am looking at the same thing so I really appreciate it!

A quick vent here as smoke is coming out of my ears!!!!! :mad: :mad: Definately not intended for for AJ or Joanne. I still have not received my backpay money!!!!!!! Both of you were approved AFTER me!! I'm about ready to go postal on the disability folks - but it's Fri after hours and I can't. AAARRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

OK thanks ladies :D ;)

4. cdedie

Oh and my Medicare card says that it doesn't begin until June and nothing saying I had to do pick or sign up for a plan before April 1. ??? ??? ???

5. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Ok Medicare doesn't start until you have been out of work for two years and five months. My last day of work was November 28, 2003. My medicare partA started May2006(even though I couldn't use it) and the partB started March 2007. That is why there is probably a different start date for you. You haven't had to wait as long as we did to get approved.
    The reason I think you didn't get your backpay whereas AJ and I did is because we had LAWYERS!!!!! You know they have to get their money!!!!! They get their check when we get our backpay! It is the way of the system. I have read other forums and it seems that those who get it without having to go to the hearings and such usually wait up to 6 months before they see their backpay! But then you didn't have to wave goodbye to $5300 dollars of your pay like we did!
    I am still in a fight with SS because they didn't pay my dependent allowance to me. They took all the information when I originally applied but never asked for their birth certificates. So now on April 11th I get to reapply for the portion that they should be getting on my behalf. Might have to fight for all the backpay for them too. I called to get it straightened out with SS but they said I might only get a year of backpay for them. But my lawyer says we can appeal that cause it was their fault that they didn't get all the documentation that they needed. But they surely got the documentation from my former husband, they didn't fail to request all that. But he gets nothing cause we were only married 6 years. So it will be months now before I see the rest of the money.
    It really boils down to a case of the government trying to hold on to the money as long as they can, in my opinion. While we struggled to survive for 34 months making only enough to make ends meet.
    So anyway, it means you have at least to June to make your decision on a medigap policy, or a c plan or a prescription drug plan if you so choose. I didn't go with a medigap policy for several reasons. First they are extremely expensive but good though if you happen to be in and out of hospitals and stuff or have extreme medical needs. For the under 50 set, there were maybe 4 plans total to pick from. I went with an HMO type plan, there were only 11 to pick from with only 5 having prescription drug coverage. For the ones with prescription drug coverage, only 3 were accepted by any of my doctors. I would avoid the ones that say under doctors, any doctor that is willing cause you know that means you'll be lucky to find one!
    Joanne

6. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

Hi {{{{{ CUZ }}}}}

It would have been nice if you were contacted about getting your money! How nice of them to allow you to continue to pay for your other insurance premium.... ??? :mad: :mad:

Right now I have Medicare Part A & B. I have Humana for prescriptions only. I qualify for additional assistance with Medicare premiums and such because of my low income through disability. It's very confusing as you have found out, when it comes to picking a supplemental insurance to use along with you Medicare.

I lucked out by having a case worker that assisted me with all of the forms and such. Also I called Medicare numerous times and spent about 45 minutes with their associates as they walked me through the insurance process.

When it came time to pick a prescription insurance, I compared several online. Most websites have a template that you add what medications you are on then they will tell you if you have a co-pay or what percentage they will cover for each prescription. If you have a good relationship with your pharmacist, they may be able to help you also.

I wish I had better advice to give you. If you have not received word on your Medicare, call them and they will tell you when it goes into affect.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM or email me. I'll be happy to confuse you more than I just have...LOL ::) :p :-* :-* :-*

Love you to the moon and back and back again!
    Stacey
    oxooxoxx

7. cdedie

Joanne, thanks for the explaination! ;D You are a sweetie! :-*

I am still calling them on Monday to raise a bit of... awwwww.... heck! LOL ;)

8. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

AJ, even with SSD and Medicare part A and B,you might have a problem getting suipplemental coverage. Most supplemental coverages do not kick in until you are 65. I suggest you talk to your Blue Shield carrier. My employer kept me on their insurance free of charge until I was 65. Then I was still kept on but had to pay for it. I also have my RX drug coverage through my past employer. If your income is low enough, Medicare will pay for the RX drug coverage and sometimes the state will pay for part B.