Your Hearing Aid Experiences

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by porridge, Nov 22, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. porridge

porridge New Member

I mentioned this in an earlier thread. However, it needs a thread of its own.
    I have one functioning ear due to radical vestibular surgery in my left ear. My right air has variable hearing depending on whether symptoms of AIED or MM (it's similar symptoms)are present. Right now when symptoms are in remission I have about 60% in my right ear. That drops to about 25% when cyclical symptoms of fullness and tinnitus strike.

I had a trial period with an Oticon Syncro about two years ago. I am thinking of giving it another try. My frustration previously was due to the variable nature of my hearing loss. I could never seem to get it right with the digital tweaking with the audiologist. I could get volume levels OK but still unable to get discernment clarity. My Oto Doc says it's difficult for MM patients to gain satisfaction from hearing aids. Has that been true for you? Right now I'm coming off Prednisone which brought back a portion of my hearing but certainly not enough for my satisfaction. So maybe another audiologist and hearing aid would help? BTW, finding hearing aid reviews online is like finding the formula for Coca Cola. Any good sites you know of that are not commercial? Just user's reviews?

Thanks in advance!

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

It's not perfect, but I can't hear at all without mine. So I'm better off with them.

3. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

My first hearing aid was a completely in the canal type (digital with only one setting) - the reason I had that was because I was on the phone quite a lot at work and used a cordelss headset much of the time so my hands could be free to research files, data and other stuff that kept both hands free. It was the best I could do at the time because I was still working. ???

Unfortunately just a few months later the recruitment was worse and the frequent adjustments were difficult to allow enough hearing that I could hear someone three feet in front of me but low enough to help stifle the recruitment. I never really was happy with it because I still was unable to hear well.

Gradually the h/a was adjusted until I maxed out all the frequencies and there was nothing they could do. Shortly after getting a bunch of new batteries, the dumb thing broke on me. The little rip cord that I pulled it out of my ear with broke and they said that the cost of getting it fixed would hardly be worth it since I had maxed it out and still unable to hear well.

I was without a h/a for several weeks while a new one was fitted that fits behind the ear and has 4 settings. It also adjusts up and down and off. I can hear much better with it and if I am in a crewd, i can adjust it so I can hear the person besied me but it will shut out thenoise around (as much as it can).

I have enjoyed having it much more than the other one, but talking on the phone is still a problem. We have never been able to work out the bugs for the phone setting and I am reluctant to give it back simply because I am hearing better than I was without it or with the old one. I had the last one 6 1/2 years and had this one only a few month.

This is a Sonic Innovations BTE top of the line model (one with the most bells and whistles, so to speak). Again the fine tuning and adjustments to allow for the recruitment I have makes it difficult to do a proper setting. I have had this since late July and already need it to be kicked up a notch as I already notice that I have more hearing loss. My hearing is profound to severe. I am told that there eventually will be a time when I may be completely deaf. I have been HOH all my life, but more dramatically so over the last 30 years or so.

Both ears have different ranges of hearing loss and I only wear an aid in one ear because the Dr. said I wouldn't probably get a lot of use out of one in the opposite ear. It is also the most highly recruited and has the loudest tinnitus.

Without the h/a I don't hear much of anything unless I am on top of it. It is all noise and can barely hear anyone speak without it. I really depend a lot on body language and lip reading.

You can look up Sonic Innovations online.

I think you oto is right - it is very difficult to satisfy an MM patient because of the fluctuations of what they hear from day to day. That is my own experience. I think - Boy I am hearing really well today and later wonder if the darn thing is even on.

Good luck - something is better than nothing and something never will correct your hearing like glasses correct vision. Don't expect a miracle, but you can still hope for one. :D Sorry this is so long. ???

4. porridge

porridge New Member

My hearing fluctuates so much when the usual symptoms are present. Always worse when I awaken in the morning or even after a nap. When it's in remission I can listen to music and function fairly well around the home. At work I use headphones. The biggest problem at work is taking digital cellphone calls. Very difficult to discern. This episode has lasted since late May. Before that I went 18 months in remission. So frustrating. I refuse to take the corticosteroids again. Therefore, I gotta let nature take its course and add a HA.

5. porridge

porridge New Member

Any of you deal with "Hearing Planet." They sure have Google cornered on HAs. Their prices are pretty good. I guess it depends on your local audiologist. Costco?

6. charlesj

charlesj New Member

I also have an Oticon Syncro (for last 4 months) . So far I still have big time trouble with speech recognition. I'm going back to the audioligist next week to see if she can adjust it.

7. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Mine are Senso Diva by Widex.

http://www.widexusa.com/senso_diva.php

8. porridge

porridge New Member

Charles
    Hope your luck is better than mine with the Syncro. I gave it back before the end of the trial period. However, that my be my unique needs not the HA. My audiologist loves the Syncro.

9. carrmh

carrmh New Member

I retune my diva as my hearing fluctuates, its not perfect as it doesnt get rid of the distortion on bad days and it may mean walking out of a meeting to retune but I doubt I would be able to work if I didnt do it. It also helps in that my workplace is generally echoy with relatively small rooms whereas there are lots of wide open spaces elsewhere and at home. With my diva the default is an adaptive microphone system, a directional microphone is much better for one to one conversations particularly in noisy situations and when my hearing is bad.(I only use one ear). The only way I can switch between the 2 is to use the tuning box of electronics. When I had 60dB loss in the good range the tuning didnt have to be too precise for good word recognition. Now that it is 80 -110dB loss I have to take more care.

Michael

10. daisycow

daisycow Moo to you, too.

Like Linda, mine's a Widex Senso Diva and I've had no real problems with it. I can hear speech well enough, although music tends to be somewhat distorted. I take it out if listening to music as the sound-levels are usually higher than speech anyway.

Liz.

11. weebeefine

weebeefine New Member

porridge...what is AEID???

12. dizzjo

Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease

13. porridge

porridge New Member

Sorry AIED. ie allergies attacking your inner ear.

14. weebeefine

weebeefine New Member

oh...ok.... I went on MedScape to try and figure it out. I'm getting more and more confused as to my diagnosis. They say it definately Bilateral Minere's , but everyone I've talked to here has constant vertigo and drop syndrome and I don't have any of that now...mine only lasted a few days over a period of a month. The only true simptom I have is the hearing loss which is tremendous. Any one have any other thoughts??

15. porridge

porridge New Member

Weebefine

Everyone is different. I can go months without vertigo. My drop attack was my first ever. I believe it was caused by the Prednisone. I took a pill right before my walk. I can go years with little in the way of symptoms. Then it shows its ugly head again. I am fortunate that when it recedes I don't have much permanent hearing loss. Still about 60% in my only functioning ear. Supposedly this is another indicator it's not MM but AIED.

16. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

My first hearing aid was BTE (behind the ear) & I had 3 different programs that I could switch to, in addition a volume control switch. So when hearing fluctuated or recruitment was a problem, I could adjust the volume or the program. One program was for background noise suppression and that was particularly helpful in a car or noisy group situation.

Choose a good audiologist, do research on brands and features, keep going back for more "tweaking" from your audio, and Good Luck to you!

17. porridge

porridge New Member

Still looking for more testimonials. Is it true that BTE aids are more powerful? Is it true that you shouldn't necessarily spend for top of the line HAs? That sometimes more expensive doesn't necessarily equate to better performance?

18. dizzjo

Yes the BTE are supposed to be better - more options, etc. I have found that to be the case for myself. I had on that fit completely in the canal and now have one BTE and I hear much better with it. technology keeps improving all the time.

There is a huge mark-up on hearing aids - you won't get fit properly buying one over the internet, even though you see them advertized. YOu should go to a qualified hearing aid dealer and fitter.

My own audiologist shares the same practice as the group of ENT's. A pricier h/a does not necessarily mean a better on, it just means you are paying more because of the mark-up.

Most hearing aids are similar in function. You will have as many testimonials as there are people who wear the aids. Generally there is a 30 day trial period with full refund offered if you aren't happy. If you don't like one, you can presumably try another. I had a friend try one with a lot of bells and whistles for several months before he finally decided that he just wasn't getting the satisfaction he expected. See what your dealer has to offer in the way of satisfaction and chages. I just used the dealer in the practice.

19. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I do not have drop attacks, nor do I have "constant" vertigo. Typically, Meniere's symptoms are episodic. It's usually when suffering from more than Meniere's (like allergies, thyroid, asthma, anxiety, etc.) that the symptoms are less episodic.

20. Officecat

Officecat New Member

I am on my second pair of Widex hearing aids. I have the Inteo version. My first set was Senso Divas, but my audiologist said that the Inteos are better for me because the technology is different. A faster processor, different microchip, etc.

The Inteos have really helped me with directional noise, and they seem to adjust to the loudness of a particular environment pretty quick. They also have about 15 different microphones that are constantly adjusting themselves. Apparently, these HA keep a "sound diary" so you can take them back to the audiologist for tuning and the audiologist can see via computer what kind of environments you are frequently in and make adjustments or special programs as necessary.

For example, a son of one of my co-workers uses the Inteos. Based on his sons sound diary, the audiologist designed a program for when he is in the cafeteria at lunchtime. It really helps him to focus on conversation at the table.

My audiologist Oticon and Widex are good hearing aids. However, Oticon sacrifices functionality for appearance. Widex believes more in providing all the functionality possible and not so much on fashion -- but you can get the Inteos in different colors. I kept with the beige behind the ear.

These hearing aids also have something brand new--I think its called an auditory extender. Say you can't hear high frequency anymore. The auditory extender allows the audiologist to have the high frequency sounds transfered to a frequency so that you can hear them.

Hope this helps,

OfficeCat