Your doctor's office environment

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jul 1, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Kelika

Kelika New Member

It drives me crazy. There is no place to look without feeling dizzy because of all the patterns. And lets not forget the big screen TV that some offices play so loud that I can't believe people are not bothered by it. I tell them I will wait outside and they can come get me. I just went to the neurosurgeon the other day for the first time and was so pleasantly surprised by the plain painted walls, no TV and hardwood floors. He even had a chair that sits up high for those with balance problems. It was a nice change of pace.

2. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I go to a lot of different doctors. Most of the time, I'm called so quickly into the office, I don't really notice my surroundings. Suffice to say, none of them stand out in any way to give me an episode. It's usually quiet and not a lot of people and noise. Now at the primary care office where I see my PCP I have a little more difficulty. It's noisy in there just with the people and though I don't have to wait long, it's enough to make the tinnitus worse. I always take a xanax before I go just about anywhere and this is no exception. The noise outside actually hurts my ears.

When I have to leave the county, I have to have someone drive me. I couldn't drive myself in that situation. I become very tense and anxious from the time I leave until after I'm home for awhile. I not only have to take the 'before' xanax but need to take more when I get home because the tinnitus has become unbearable. I also have to take oxycodone because everything hurts from being so tense and having to walk around a lot.

I'm pathetic when it comes to leaving my sanctuary...

3. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Holly, I understand that sanctuary feeling. I feel for you girl! When you're really ready, you'll know it.
    Deep Breathes and Baby steps.
    I've been saying that for as long as I can remember. It always got me through rough times.
    You'll be fine. When you're ready to emerge from your self-imposed cocoon, you'll fly! I'm here for you when you need to talk it out. Pm me whenever you're in need. It seems we've been in the same states of mind at times.

My dr's are pretty accomodating for me. Many times I'll get put in an exam room to wait my turn immediately. But then again, I bring them homemade cookies and stuff too!! LOL

;)