Your doctor's office environment

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jul 1, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

The last time I went to my neurologist I critiqued his office environment. He was very interested in my comments. Here is what I had to say.

1. The carpet and wallpaper has patterns that cause my dizziness to increase. He said the carpet even made him dizzy if he stared at it :D
    2. There is a TV in the waiting room and it is too loud and too depressing. It was a local news channel. I suggested that he get some educational DVDs or put it on HGTV or some other channel that hearing it didn't matter. Turn the volume down.
    3. Flickering lights in the bathroom. They make enough money do get LED lights.

The good things are that they have a sign "no perfume" and enforce it with their staff and the exam rooms have natural light.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I did that once and the reply was that I wasn't any more or less special than other patients and if he had to accommodate the special requests of all his patients based on their disorders then he'd have no office space left :D

What did change was my request that he not rush me out the door after 30 minutes of sitting in the waiting room and 10 minutes of face time. I got more visit time.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

I think Rotstein was more receptive because he has been dizzy AND has had a drop attack. He has multiple health issues, too. He's not a very compassionate person but he can relate and he is logical. I'm sure he knows people with MS, Parkinson's and other things he treats have balance issues.

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Your Dr. Is dizzy and has had drop attacks? Does he have mm?

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

From all I've heard about him over the years I'd say he is different from most doctors.

6. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

What have you heard? I was thinking of going to see him at one time.

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Are you actually asking Intrepid's opinion? ;D

I think Dr. Cunningham would be interested in the opinions of his patients if he was in solo private practice. But, because he's an assistant professor and a doctor in a large university practice, he has less control. That being said, the environment is pretty stable overall -- though if I was as sensitive to some things as others here are, I might not think that.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

Rotstein doesn't take new patients and he doesn't usually deal with mm. He would usually refer an mm patient to an otoN. He only works two days a week and spends an hour with each patient. He's in his mid 70s and this is his idea of retirement. My brain injury intrigues him and we exchange information on various theories.

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Brain surgery!! My goodness, what for (if you don't mind me asking)?

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Brain injury not surgery :)

11. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Opps! The xanax is working - sorry Kim.

12. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

My ENT's office is on the third floor and every time someone uses the elevator the exam chairs in the rooms shake and vibrate, also the floor vibrates. Very poor office space for a doctor seeing patients with vestibular disease! And by the way is personality matches the office - horrible!

13. Titus

Titus New Member

The injury was a result of an auto accident. Brain stem damage (so they say.) Rotstein was so baffled and determined to find out why my brain didn't seem to be compensating for my vestibular damage, he ended up calling a neuro who was an expert on dizziness and was head of the University of Pittsburgh Balance Center. I ended up going up there for two days of testing in 2005. They found that I had damage to my brain from the car accident. Rotstein had already discovered the dislocated TMJ and we both thought that and migraines were the two causes of the dizziness. When the vestibular testing showed loss of function and I complained of fullness and ringing, he had already dx me with Meniere's but we both thought it was something else causing the MM symptoms.

That reminds me, one of the things the doctor at U of P told me was to make sure I had allergy testing and eliminate allergic foods. I had already had the tests and eliminated everything but dairy....I tried off and on but it seemed dairy wasn't a trigger. So, as part of my wellness goals, I am getting rid of the dairy, wheat, eggs, carrots, and peanuts.

14. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

Just had to comment about my cute doctor and his office. He has an adjunct office near the hospital, so he can decorate/design it the way he likes. It is VERY MM-friendly:
    1. He NEVER uses the overhead lights. He only uses candles and window day light.
    2. No crazy patterns anywhere
    3. Keeps the office very quiet and calm
    4. He studied Hinduism and Paganism so there are very serene statues throughout the office that help present a sense of calmness and serenity

After 40 years of treating MM, he innately understands how difficult it is to step into a busy or noisy office. I'm always 110% more calm leaving his office than when I walked in. I wish all doctors could/would tailor to our issues a bit better.

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Titus, I didn't know this about you. I'm amazed at how much you do and can do. You inspire me.

This is a good thread.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yep, Kim is one of a kind :)

17. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

She sure is! Now I'll be paying extra attention to the environment every time I walk into anything medical, dental, or probably everywhere else too!
    I detest dirty bathrooms, I always need to use it and it takes so much time to line that seat with half a roll of toilet paper! LOL!

I love when you go to a restaurant bathroom where the sign says, Employess Must Wash Hands.
    Really?
    Imagine how many people don't.

Ewwwwwww.
    My gastros Surgery center has a big fresh water fish tank, it's very soothing. Also park benches
    Outside for you to wait for let's say a Cathescan. It's real nice there and the staff is so caring and accomodating!

Sorry if I went off topic.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I would also feel very comfortable in your doctor's office. It's very caring of him to keep his patients' triggers in mind.

19. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

So you're the one who always uses all the toilet paper in the ladies room!!! ;D

20. Brook76

Brook76 New Member

I actually changed my first ent because of where he relocated his office to. He moved his office to the top floor of Barnes Jewish Hospital and the whole side of his waiting room is all glass and you see everything around you. After one time of clutching the seat and facing straight ahead at the receptionist was enough for me. Once I got out of there I never went back. This doc was more of a mad scientist anyways. I believe he did want to help my disease but he believed in nothing to cope. Nothing to quell vertigo and nothing to help the vomiting when I experienced an attack. He just wanted to dissect me basically. I have respect for the man but I think too many years as a surgeon and researcher he has forgotten that patients are more than a lab rat.