Your Daily Bread

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by CarrieOakey, Aug 10, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

Your Daily Bread

This recipe is fantastic. It is very old. You make up the dough, keep it in a cool place . Whenever you want fresh baked bread. Take out a chunk, let it rise for 30 minutes to an hour, bake and voila! you have a fresh loaf of bread.

3 cups warm water
    1.5 Tablespoons instant yeast
    1.5 Tablespoon sea salt
    6.5 cups of flour.

I mix mine in an ice cream pail, my son uses a rubber maid storage bowl. Use whatever you have.

You can use any combination of different flours as long as they add up to 6.5 cups. You can make all white, all whole wheat, a combination of the two, throw in rye flour, 7 grain cereal, flax seed whatever.

Add all the flour in to the other ingredients all at once. No need to knead, just get it well mixed. It will be a slightly sloppy dough, but you will knead more flour into it when you want to bake it. Cover loosely and let sit in a warm place free of drafts for 2 hours.

You can now bake some, or put it in a cool place (fridge works) to make later. Keep it covered.

When you want to bake some... either a loaf in a pan, a free form round loaf, or a baguette, or rolls, cut off a piece about the size of a melon. Knead a bit of flour into it. Then you let it rise for at least 30 minutes. I usually leave it about an hour. Bake at 450 F for 30 minutes for loaves, 20 minutes for rolls. Sometimes I slice the tops of the loaf with a sharp knife. You can bake it with a pan of boiling water in the oven. This will give a crispy crust, yet soft inside. This works great for pizza dough too. Makes great homemade pizza, you control the thickness of your crust by how much dough you use

You can keep the dough for about 2 weeks, but it never lasts that long here.

Makes about 4-5 loaves.

Hope you will enjoy your daily bread.

2. corona

corona New Member

Friends like you are part of my daily bread.

3. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

Thanks, Corona, that was cool!

Just realized I posted this in the wrong room Doh!

4. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I want you to know that I resisted posting the question whether the Spiritual Corner was now only for passing recipes and food talk. I did resist. I am proud of myself. And thank you for the clarification.

5. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

Well, not only for that. there's lots of room in this Room for lots of topics. Besides, didn't know know exchanging recipes can be spiritual?

Don't feel you need to resist, Henry. Feel free to speak your mind.

Also, try the bread recipe, it's really, really good!

6. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Don't you mean "Dough!" ?

::) ::) ::) :D :D :D

7. June-

June- New Member

It's the perfect thing to have on hand to take to the next church supper. Who doesn't love fresh homemade bread!

8. corona

corona New Member

hahahahhahahha!!!! that was funny!

bread making belongs here...it's symbolic and brings people together, sharing, nurturing...all that good stuff.

9. June-

June- New Member

Nothin' says lovin' like something from the oven.

'Breaking bread' with one another is a time honored sign of peace isn't it?

10. corona

corona New Member

yep. sometimes you have to think outside the box....or room ;)

11. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

"Don't feel you need to resist, Henry. Feel free to speak your mind.Also, try the bread recipe, it's really, really good!"

I dunno. All this spiritual food talk leaves me a little hungary for some meat. Where's the beef?

12. June-

June- New Member

Go to Wendy's.

13. corona

corona New Member

You mean Winde's :)

14. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I'm at Winde's. Just had a frozen pizza. My spirit will be bolstered if the Braves win. But it won't have much to do with the pizza. At least the pizza didn't hurt anything. It was one of those Greecian square type pizza's. Crap! Astros got a hit! Anyway, pizza's are my kind of daily bread. So next time you have one of them Greecian square pizzas, take it in rememberance of me.

15. June-

June- New Member

Oh, now I get it! Whew, that took me a while. :)

16. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

Good one, deercharmer, excellent! :) :)

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

this is a good recipe - the pizza dough should be delicious

18. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Sounds great, I will copy it and put it in my book!

19. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

Anybody here interested in helping/doing a low salt cook book for MRI - Meniere's Resources, Inc.? I will compile it if someone has the time and willingness to put together some low salt recipes...thank you so much in advance!