Your attitude

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by rondrums, Feb 6, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

We've all been through this crap for years. We all do all of the suggested stuff--low sodium, John of Ohio, prescription drugs, etc. We know there's no cure for Meniere's.

My question is, how do you control your attitude? I saw a doctor last year who said antidepressants would help because they would give me a "better attitude." I tried a couple of them, and they made me want to jump off a bridge.

Any attitude control advice would be welcome. I get so depressed about feeling lousy 90 percent of the time. Doesn't it suck?

Bless all,
    Ron

2. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

My way of dealing with the rough times..... If you fake being happy eventually you will end up happy! its worked so far.... though I still have my pity party days!

3. gert157

gert157 New Member

I totally agree, this whole MM thing blows!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what part of the country you are from, but if you are dealing with the cold, cold, winter like I am, we are forced to be indoors and that makes things even worse if you ask me............. Yeah, we can fake being happy, but sometimes its hard to pull off... Wish I had some great advice for you, but I don't ..... All I can tell ya' is you're NOT alone, if ya' find comfort in numbers then there it is.............. I need to be outside, with some warmer temps. I think that would help me feel better but I too am dealing with an attitude problem these days..........
    wishing you better days, real soon.......................

4. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Hi Ron! Even if I feel down, I try to put a smile on my face. You'd be surprised how many times it can make you feel better just smiling. I also like to take a short walk (preferably outdoors) if I am able. Just getting out of the house is usually enough to perk me up a bit.

I will also munch on some dark chocolate too. Something in it makes me feel better. Plus it is darn tasty!! ;D

Hope you start having better days soon Ron. Take care and God bless.

Lulu

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Have you tried different meds? Just trying one may not be your problem. You may need to try a few scripts to find the right one for you. To me chronic depression needs a little help. Your body is not producing the sertonin so your level may not be right and an anti-depresset might bring it to a tolerable level. I've got a few drugs for different kinds of depression and they've put me at a more normal level. I don't have the upward and downword spikes like I used to. More like a sine wave.

Check it out with you doctor, he just might be willing to help you out. Good luck and let us know what's going on, ok?

6. Angelea

Angelea New Member

The signature under my name sums up how I cope with MM. It is what it is, I embrace it. I read somewhere once that depression is the result of thinking about the past and anxiety is the result of thinking about the future. I try very hard to live in this very moment as much as possible. Less than a year prior to getting MM, I read The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle, and it absolutely 100% changed my perception of my life. It was very serindipitious that I read it when I did. I know I would be a wreck today had I not had the paradigm shift that I did, when I did.

All that being said, I still have many bad days, feel depressed, etc. But I can pull myself out of it b/c I know it is just my perception and not reality.

Please note, though, that if someone is clinically depressed and/or has a chemical imbalance, then a change in perception is not likely to pull them out of it. Just feel that I needed to add a disclaimer. See a doctor...

Best wishes :)

7. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Cognitive behavioral therapy is a great way to rid yourself of negative thinking.

8. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yeah, gimmie some of that!!

9. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Holly, check out this guy's books. They really are good. I can recommend 'Feeling Good: the new mood therapy'.

Here's his website. Don't be put off by his terrible photo (fake tan, 80s hair cut, purple roll neck etc).

http://www.feelinggood.com/

10. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

I hink that once you convince yourself there is nothing you can do and go on living, then it gets better. Ad you go on. and it is not the most horrible thing as it goes along. There are other things in life you can think about. I guess living it all you can do.

birdmom3

11. Alex

Alex New Member

For me, having a feeling of control over it gives me a great sense of peace. I've done this by severely restricting my diet and taking a mountain of supplements (plus a couple of prescribed medications) - I'm currently in the process of cutting back the supplements, I'll start improving my diet later. :)

12. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

I am on Prozac--I have cut back and now only take 10 mg every-other-day. I was on the couch one whole weekend last year. Didn't eat, just slept, slept, slept. It was time to get some help. If it is depression, nothing wrong in getting some help. It takes a person who is very aware of what is going on in their lives/bodies to admit they need some help.

Depression and attitude are two different things. Attitude you can work on, depression is chemical.

~KT

13. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

There is a strong correlation between low vitamin D levels and depression symptoms. I'm not going to claim that six cents of vitamin D3 each day is an absolute cure for depression. But on the other hand, this could reduce to some extant, or even to a great degree, depression outcomes.

Taking 5000 IUs of vitamin D3 each day (with a meal, for best absorption), would be a good thing to start. It can take weeks or months to get serum vitamin D levels up to where they should be for the best physical and mental health (50 -- 70 ng/ml).

Start by reading all of the abundant medical information on the topic compiled by the vitamin D experts at the Vitamin D Council. Start with general opening page and all the good information there: (www.vitamindcouncil.org). Then, read the information on how vitamin D can reduce or stop depression, here: (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/depression.shtml).

I used to get severe SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) right at this time of the year, when winters in Ohio offer nothing but cold, black, brown or gray things. No color. No warmth. Just depressing. Then, after a few weeks of popping a 6-cent 5000 IU vitamin D3 softgel, I'm as ebullient in the miserable winter here as I am in the gorgeous and wonderful summer.

And I no longer get colds or flues-- of any significance. I have to admit that two weeks ago my wife brought home a cold virus. She's on the vitamin D regimen as I am, and both of us got the cold that's going around in this community. For most who get it, it's a suffering week or 10 days in bed. But for my wife and me, we lived normally, with only a lot of sneezes and nasal drainage. But we lived and slept and ate normally. Vitamin D supported the immune system, keeping these cold viruses from overtaking our lives, compared to our suffering friends with the virus. We're back. All is well. And we stayed out of the bed during the day.

Read all the healthful stuff on the Vitamin D Council website. It not only reduces the hazards of depression, it also reduces those of heart disease, cancers, diabetes, obesity, and many neurodegenerative diseases. If you aren't taking sufficient vitamin D, I feel sorry for you. It is probably the single most effective (and cheapest) thing you can do for good health. Of course, don't neglect all the other stuff everyone knows about. But don't neglect vitamin D, either.

John of Ohio

14. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Hello Ron,

Being this is 9 years for me I've been through every emotion there is. I have found that my home life and those around me have helped so much. I have come to the point that if my life in general is good thats the only thing I can control. I read a book some years ago called happiness is a choice and it opened my eyes to the way I think vs others who are better at not looking at the negative. Oh yeah I still have some bad days but they are way fewer. Bet wishes to you, we all understand.

15. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Thanks to both INS and Intrepid for taking an interest in my well being. Both websites have information that applies to me. I've tried the cognitive behavior therapy before and it just didn't seem to work for me. They just couldn't get to 'it' and in the end admitted it. I think I'd need a one on one relationship with a really good psychiatrist to try to get to some of the darkness in me. I don't mean evil darkness either, I mean stuff that I'm not even aware of. I've had so many bad things happen and I know that I've blocked a lot of it out. I've said too much already, just know that I appreciate your input and the effort to really try to help me.

16. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I second what John of Ohio says about vitamin D, and add one more thing:

EXERCISE. especially outdoor exercise, like jogging, biking, or walking.

17. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Wow, that's a huge dose of Vitamin D, John. I take 800 IU's a day with my usual John of Ohio regimen. And living in south Florida, there's plenty of sunshine. But if a higher dosage may be effective for depression, I'm going to try it.

Thanks.

18. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Thanks, all. You've all been through it, so your advice means a lot.

It sounds like more exercise would be best for me. I'm busy working, so I get lazy about exercising. But I do love to ride my bike, and I don't have imbalance issues when I do it. Walking makes me dizzy.

I know that exercise kicks up the good chemicals in your brain. So I'll get off my ass and start riding more.

The vitamin D thing in interesting, too. Thanks, John.

Screw Meniere's, and bless all.

Ron

19. June-

June- New Member

Stay away from sugar and alcohol, do some work to help someone less fortunate than yourself, get outdoor exercise in daylight, practice simple yoga, commune with nature, take care of my animals, hang put with friends and family when you can. Sometimes these things help me in bad times. They sound simplistic but it is the simple things that work for me.

20. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Some long term depression can turn into a chronic disease if left untreated. Starting out as an emotional or psychological issue can turn into a physical condition if not dealt with in earlier stages. some people can lift themselves out of depression without medication, therapy, or self help books - others need professional help, medical, therapy, support groups etc. Popping a pill does not solve or cure depression. It may help with the phsycial element (chemical element) but depression for one may not be the same for another. Depression tends to have a family pre-disposition(sp) as well.

Hang in there - I know my reply did not give any answers. But I understand what you are going thru and so do many others who post here on the forum. Don't give up hope! You can and will get thru this slump.