You wont believe what happen to me last minute!!!!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by utalledo, May 9, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

I was ready for the surgery today, I had everything set up, a couple nurses called me from the hospital in the middle of the week to prepare stuff, etc...

yesterday around 6.30ish almost 7pm, another nurse called me for doing a pre-registration, checked my insurance and everything, she puts me on hold for a while and then comes back saying that I needed to pay $2000 up front to be able to have the procedure because I had to pay 20%, and I was in shock! because I was told that they were going to bill me after the surgery, I didn't have funds available. And they had to tell me this in so short notice that I couldn't get the money.
    Then I called her again and said that I didn't have everything upfront and she said that those were the charges from the hospital itself, and I needed to pay it.

Couldn't they called me earlier? maybe in the morning? so I could make some arrangements and have it all ready? instead of calling me so late? when I last hang up with her it was 7.30 already, the Dr. office was closed, and I couldn;t do nothing, I finally called the emergency line of the Dr. and told him I had to cancel.
    He never got back to me either.

:-[

*I have another Dr. appt. on tuesday with the one who made my second opinion about the surgery, because now I feel embarresed of going back to the old one because couldn't show my face saying I was cancelling at very last minute, I had to talk to a machine because it was too late.
    So I'll just have to start from cero with this other doc. and play all my cards here.

2. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Oh, this is so very sad. I can't believe your doctor didn't figure this all out a while ago. Is there any way you can get on a payment plan with their office? I feel your disappointment. Lisa

3. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

I'm sorry, that's terrible to have happen. I can't believe they left out that very important information until the last minute either. One thing's for sure, I wouldn't be embarrased in the least about telling that doctor why you had to cancel at the last minute. It's the hospitals fault, not yours.

Hang in there,
    Amethyst

4. BethieB

BethieB New Member

The hospital acted in an unprofessional manner, basically holding you up for money you were supposed to be billed for and possibly endangering your health. Head held high--there is nothing to be embarrassed about at all.

5. GrandmaLynn

GrandmaLynn New Member

I am so sorry this happened to you. Hospitals are doing lots of things like this these days and until someone throws a fit will continue to cause they get away with it. Luckily for me we have choices and if one won't work with me the others will. I hope you get this all worked out.
    GrandmaLynn

6. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

This is baloney. Why should you feel ashamed at all? It wasn't your mistake, was it?! Contact the doctor you were going to have the surgery with and explain the situation. I am certain you are not the only person that this has happened to.

7. Chewy

Chewy New Member

How unfortunate. I can't believe they called that late. I hate hospitals and just got out of debt from a hospital visit in September. You know what else bothers me??? You pay a huge hospital fee and then months later get a physicians bill that is completely separtate from the hospital bill. Something is really wrong with the system. GRRRRRRRRR. Sorry you had to go through that and hope you can get things going with the other doctor. For me I am off doctors right now.....trying to see if I can control things on my own as I have spent thousands of dollars tring to find answers and not one definate dx. It's like throwing money away. Guess I am in a mood today. LOL Have a better day today. Donna

8. blessedx3

blessedx3 New Member

That's horrible- I would talk to your insurance comany, too. I know my hospital is horrible with billing- they always make BIG mistakes. I don't think you should have had to pay upfront- they needed to bill you after. When I was in the hopital last week, a billing lady came in (while I was laying in my hospital bed!) and said she talked to my insurance and they said I needed to pay 10% of everything plus the rest of my $2000 deductible. She said I had met $646 already, so I owed the balance then and there and they would "courtesy bill" me the 10% later. I was shocked. She was upset that I wasn't going to pay her right then- even when I told her I came in through the ER as an emergency and was admitted right away- all I had with me was the clothes I wore in!!! She left in a bit of a huff. But then when we checked with insurance- they were totally wrong in the first place! The $2000 was my max out of pocket- it included the 10%! And yeah I had payed $646 so far for the year, but that didn't include the hospital stay from the week before. I probably met the full amount the week before (just hadn't been processed yet) and owed them nothing for this trip! I have had so many icidents like this, it's ridiculous.
    So check with your insurance so they can tell you exactly what you owe so you have a defense if this happens again. And if the hopital was in the wrong, then they denied you a surgery you really needed (and could endanger your health) without cause! That would be a pretty big case against them....
    And DON'T be embarrased- you did NOTHING wrong! That doctor will probably understand and be angry with the hospital, not you. And he already knows you need the surgery and it could easily be rescheduled instead of going to another doctor and starting all over- that could take months.
    On a different note, I'm sorry your surgery didn't go through. I hope you feel well until it does happen and that you get great relief afterwards! Take care!
    Kris

9. Karenb

Karenb New Member

When I went in for surgery on April 23rd I had to stop at the admission office. They made us give them $300 before they would let me go upstairs to the surgery floor. It's a good thing we had that in our checking account. We had to drive 2 1/2 hours the day before and we were at the hospital 5 hours for preop. They didn't tell us anything about the money then.

Don't be embarrased just tell your dr and he should have someone in his office who schedules the hospital and works with your insurance company.

What a let done for you. The anticipation for surgery takes a toll and then to have to start all over again is horrible. Just stand your ground with hospital and make arrangements before hand for you next date.

I'm sorry this happened to you on top of all of your suffering with this disease.

Hang in there Karen

10. justcallmedizzy

justcallmedizzy New Member

I cannot believe the hospital had the nerve to do this to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How horrible and rude!!!!! I've worked out payment plans but never has a hospital had the audacity to refuse to do surgery because I didn't have $2,000 up front.

I would not be embarrassed to go back to the dr. you were seeing - this has nothing to do with you! This is the hospital's negligence. Don't start over by going to another dr by no means - I've had many fights with hospitals and their rudeness!!!! A hospital was responsible for the death of my mother back in 1976 - she had Guillian Barre Syndrome - but the drs. kept telling her it was all in her head....(the symptoms) so they put her in the hospital for testing - 5 days later she died! I had a hysterectomy and woke up as they were cutting across my stomach........ I had a forceps delivery with my child that she still has scars from today........ Don't let this hospital get to you - FIGHT!!!

Hang in there and keep your chin up!!

11. thornapple

thornapple New Member

It might be the hospital you need to stay away from. Would you eat at a restaurant that wouldn't let you in the door until you paid for your meal up front?

Check with your insurance.

12. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

I worked at a hospital for many years. The crap they pull is just that. You did nothing wrong - they did. Hold your head high and I agree with Thornapple.

13. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Alot of companies now expect people to just put stuff on a credit card like it's not a bother. It doesn't suprise me.
    Maybe it's karma not to have the surgery?

14. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

I have never heard of having to pay up front like that!As far as I know a hospital can NOT turn you away and that is basically what they did.It is not your fault.It is a shame that you have to wait now.I would call the nurse and ask why they waited so late to call you.Good luck Utalledo,you have been throgh enough.

15. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Why didn’t they accept a credit card?

I am utterly astonished that such a thing could have happened. It looks like you need a banker on your healthcare team in order to make sure everyone is happy with the financial arrangements.

Good luck with your next physician.

Joe

16. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

I've worked for both doctors and hospitals and have been a patient countless times. Never once have I had any doctor ask patients for money up front. Never have I heard of a hospital wanting money up front except in cases where the patient was totally uninsured. This hospital seems to have serious problems and I would definitely not go there. I would also file complaints with the American Hospital Association and the American Medical Assocition in your area. If you don't get help there, see a lawyer. Threats of a law suit will quickly spring the hospital and doctor into making peace with you. Yes, your doctor is also responsible for this mess. He is on the staff of that hospital. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

17. thedawgboy

thedawgboy New Member

I do not in any way see this as the hospital's fault. If your surgeon scheduled the surgery at that hospital, he (or a member of his staff) should have told you the policies of the hospital. It seems that the hospital made the last minute call in regards to the fact that they had you on the books and had not heard from you about registration, etc. (Not your fault, you were not instructed to do so).

18. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

Yeah, probably the Dr.s staff didn't do a good job either, but to me it was so weird to receive this notice in the evening prior to the surgery!!!!

But "Everything happens for a reason" maybe it wasn't meant to be yet.
    I'll keep you all posted on my next steps!

=)

19. libr

libr New Member

I wouldn't be worried or embarrassed about going back to the original doctor and finding out if you can schedule it all again. It's an unfortunate mistake and is indeed something to be annoyed with the doctor and the hospital for. However, if you were ready for the surgery and were comfortable that the surgeon would do a competent job, then don't let an all too common complication of the healthcare/medical insurance industries force you to start over. Even if your Meniere's were magically cured tonight, it surely won't be the last time you have an opportunity to be frustrated by medical billing issues. One of the sources of outrageous medical expenses is the complicated and varied billing practices of insurers and providers. You being forced to cancel at the last minute is another example of that. So I don't think there's anything to be embarrassed about and you should think about trying to schedule it again, knowing this time to vigorously pursue the billing issues ahead of time.

Of course, it's your call.

Best wishes,
    Sean

20. vertigo247

vertigo247 One cannot think crooked and walk straight.

What an awful thing to have happen! It's such a shame that our medical necessitites amount to nothing more than a bill we either can or cannot pay. My hubby and I went through the same thing when we had our daughter and it darn near broke us. We had to pay out over $15,000 in a matter of 2 months or the hospital wouldn't even deliver her! I mean, what would they have done, had me give birth on the sidewalk? It's disgusting that it works this way, and I'm sorry you've become a victim of it. I hope things work out for you, friend.

Hugs, Brooke