You know you have a good doctor when...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JessiesGirl, Nov 26, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

It's a little after 9:30 p.m. here, and I just got off the phone with my doctor. I'd called his office earlier today to see about getting some prednisone because I started having some trouble with my good ear, which sorta freaked me out. He was in surgery all day, but they told me he'd get back to me. I was disappointed when he didn't call back, but I know he's always insanely busy, and figured he either didn't get the message or forgot.

Instead, he called me back at 9:30 at night because that's when he finished all his work, and apologized for calling so late, but said he wanted to make sure we had some time to talk about what was going on with me. He asked what was happening, and actually listened to what I had to say (no interruptions and no rushing me off the phone). He told me he could give me the prednisone, but really wanted to do an audiogram and take a look to see if there could be anything else going on here first, make sure there was no fluid in my ear or anything else that could be causing the problem. He then rearranged his schedule for tomorrow (no easy trick, since he's the kind of doctor who is booked forever in advance) to make sure to see me, at a time that's even convenient for me.

Maybe it's just me, because I never had much luck with doctors (particularly MM doctors) before this guy, but I am continually amazed by the treatment I get by this doctor. I mean, he not only calls back when he says he will, but he calls even if it's 9:30 at night and he probably just desperately wants to go home and sleep, and then he doesn't talk over you, but actually listens to you! Hell, I can't get my literary agent to return my phone calls for days, and she gets 15% of everything I make! Talk about service...

As much as I'm freaked about my ear, I feel a zillion times more confident, just from this 10 minute phone conversation. My stress is melting away because I know I have someone who's going to work with me on this, see what's going on, come up with treatment options, and deal with it NOW, not three weeks from now when they can finally fit me in.

I just want everyone to know there are doctors out there like this. And if you don't have one, please keep looking until you find one. If you can find this in NY, you can find it anywhere! And it can make such a huge difference when your doctor is your ally, not just one more obstacle.

2. Venus

Venus New Member

Its good to hear something postive for a change! I happy for you!! Hey could you pm me and tell me this great Dr. is in ny?
    Good luck with everything
    Venus

3. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Congrats on the great doctor. It does make all the difference in the world.
    Willie Marie

4. beentherepaula

beentherepaula Just me

Hey I have one of those ENT Doctor's It took me 4 ENT's to find him, They are the kind of Doctor That cares more about helping you than, making you wait to see them. And it does make you feel better when you know someone want's to help and cares, Sometimes a phone call back is all it takes, My ENT is in Michigan. Wonderful person. Thanks for the post on the Good Doctors!!
    Paula

5. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

I am very happy that you have such a wonderful and caring doctor, DreamChaser! When you find a doctor such as this, you want to spread the word! Congrats to you!

My doctor, in Oregon, is the same way! I am VERY blessed!

Stacey

6. JaniceM

JaniceM New Member

Good for you! Thanks for taking the time to write about your positive experience.
    Gives some of us hope in finding such a dedicated, caring individual and not to
    settle for less!
    Janice

7. June

June New Member

wow

8. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta New Member

Great that you found one like that!
    I ALWAYS feel like I am being rushed with my docs - ESPECIALLY my ENT!
    But at the present time, it's not really worth it for me to try to find another one, since we really don't plan on being in this area much longer anyway...

9. charlesj

charlesj New Member

Golly, I wish I had a doctor like yours. I live in Ontario and we are so short of doctors you are lucky to have one at all. We don't get to pick and choose. In the county I live in 30% of the people can't even get a family doctor.

10. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

Well I guess I'm more blessed than I realized...

I have a fabulous ENT doctor. Can you imagine a doctor coming in to see you for the first time and extending his hand and introducing himself by his first name? I couldn't believe it. And he's also one to listen and care. He knows MM and I am so grateful. I certainly pray everyone is able to find the same thing.