YOGA??

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by livestrong, Sep 9, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. livestrong

livestrong New Member

Is yoga religious, i am thinking about doing yoga but the picture has a woman with a BUDDA behind her. I am a NEW Christian and dont know if this is the right thing to do. SHe said it has nothing to do with releigion but it is spriritual.. No clue here.. any advice. Thought it would help me relax better especailly with the tinnitus.

alisa

2. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

I've never heard of yoga being religious. It's about stretching and relaxation more than anything else. I'm sure some people meditate, to clear their mind it helps in relaxation.

3. Daize

Daize New Member

Tumbleweed is right.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

I have practiced Yoga. It is a wonderful way to meditate on the Lord. In yoga breathing is important. Remember that God breathed life into you and let this thought flow as you breathe in and out.

5. pardonme

pardonme Guest

6. Tinka

Tinka New Member

I would never even consider Yoga..it is rooted in Spiritualisim. The postures are to the many Hindu gods..all we need to clear our minds and have "wholeness" is found ONLY in the Word of God. Look to The Lord and ask Him to show you clearly thorough His Word and by The Holy Spirit. Please do your research first.

blessings
    colleen

7. joyoncnrse

joyoncnrse New Member

Yoga is stretching and relaxtion, clearing ones mind.
    As far as religion or spiritual related, that would be up to the individual doing it - if they want to pray or meditate during the yoga exercises.

8. Cara

Cara New Member

Amen Pardonme!

9. amberini

amberini New Member

10. livestrong

livestrong New Member

I am not going to do this, God is telling me no.. thank you for all your relpies. There is a show on cable tv I will check out.

alisa

11. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

here is the answer.
    http://swamij.com/religion.htm#missing

if it helps then do it.
    Same with Tai-chi and martial arts and meditation.

12. livestrong

livestrong New Member

Thank you for that site, now i am thinking of doing it.. lol

13. pardonme

pardonme Guest

14. Titus

Titus New Member

Alisa, Pray about it, then go with the answer you get. Tai Chi helped me. Yoga was too hard on my neck, even the easiest poses. Trust God to lead you....He will.

15. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

Been a Christian for a long time, I would advise not doing yoga, something in my spirit just doesn't feel right about it, its background is not Christian and when we meditate it needs to be in prayer to Jesus or with our bibles open seeking answers, Jesus will give you peace, Prayer is our most powerful tool against this crazy disease, just keep on trusting in the Lord and live day by day. He will take care of us.

16. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I agree with leviticus. Not to say yoga and such is directly linked to Buddhism but having been married to a man who was a former Buddhist Monk and told me countless stories of deep meditation and his former use of such with yoga and tai chi - i am not saying that tai chi and yoga are directly descended from Buddhism but both use the deep breathing techniques that can alter your spiritual and mental thoughts...

there are however some great techniques/stretching associated with tai chi and yoga and such - pray about it and follow your gut -

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

channeling - that's the word he used - channeling his energy and power to alter his spiritual realm - etc... thru the use of yoga tai chi and deep meditation...

Please - I don't want to get into a religous debate; I'm just answering a question to the best of my ability and being a Christian I am following my heart.

18. pardonme

pardonme Guest

19. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

pardonme: thank you for non debate - i am too weak to debate and yet never cared to debate either but I can answer the questions to the best of my knowledge/heart
    communicating with God is spiritual - there have been times - especially at my darkest moments - that I felt His physical presence as well as a spiritual presence

20. Titus

Titus New Member

Hi Diane,

Christians believe that the Holy Spirit dwells in them but that shouldn't be confused as being one with God. Christians always need to remember "God is God and we are His creations". All that said, I have felt God's presence many times and it is a very powerful experience (for me). When I first became a Christian the hardest thing I had to do was jump down off the throne and put Christ on the throne. Pride always got in the way. One guy said it very well "God is God and you're not". :D

Years ago I practiced Buddhism and that's when I first got into meditation/yoga/emptying my mind. Joyce Meyer reminds all Christians that "empty space is a place." It was then when I realized that when doing yoga/meditation I had to focus on the Lord. It works for me but it might not work for someone else.

Alisa, I agree with Aladdin....follow your heart....because God will be there to lead you in the right path.

Kim