YIKES!!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by njspingirl, Jun 1, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

Been having some strange weather patterns here in joisey.. :) But I am seeing a difference between the anxiety and menieres. I had a great day yesterday as hot and humid as it was. But somewhere around 3-5pm..it started getting dark. I was sitting at the dinner table and bam!! I started to spin. Not long after it was pouring. But I was calm..something just came over me and it passed. In fact, I went outside on the front porch and sat on the bench watching it POUR! I was covered though..roof above me.
    Even though I had the spins for awhile..it was the first time in years that I would go outside in such weather. It felt very calm and relaxing.
    So the spins I had were from the storm coming in...now I see the difference.
    Anxiety dizziness is more of waves that come and go everyday with of course panic attacks. Usually had dizziness 24/7 . It seems to be subsiding now as I go outside more and more. Seems almost magical to me.
    I drove to the beach BY MYSELF..on saturday! This is a major step for me.
    I guess I just wanted to say to anyone else who has the same fears as I did..be brave and try to venture out.
    Its so sad that my world has become so small. I really didnt realize it until recently.

2. June-

June- New Member

This is wonderful! I am so happy for you.

3. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

These are some sensitive inner ears we have.

Rainy weather, changes in atmospheric pressure, strong winds, sounds of heavy machinery, many things that 'stir up' the atmosphere cause vertigo to begin - for me. It is not vertigo from hydrops, but there's little difference in the way it feels. It's vertigo minus the nystagmus. In addition, I've noticed that the tinnitus gets louder and 'screechier' in those same circumstances.

More often than not, when those symptoms occur and are prolonged, I know that a storm is coming. If those symptoms occur and then subside within minutes, I know a loud sound is about to occur: a truck will be rolling by soon, an airplane will be flying overhead, someone with their car stereo blasting, the phone is about to ring, a fax is coming in ...

Knowing that type of vertigo is not the big "V" attack, helps me to stay calmer until the symptoms subside. Sometimes I'll even walk outside in the middle of the storm as if to defy it. :) A previous vestibular therapist told me that exposing yourself to ever-increasing 'doses' of the things that cause those symptoms will eventually desensitize you, so that those reactions will cease in time. It's just difficult to regulate those specific sounds; and you can do nothing about the weather.

Since airplanes and trucks and sounds and storms are coming and going all the time, that type of vertigo occurs often. If I ran for the bed every time I felt that way, I'd never get up.

I hope you stay alert and learn to recognize the factors that bring about this response so you won't panic, thinking it's the big vertigo attack coming. I have learned to do many things while experiencing that type of vertigo. Not dancing, but many other activities with less head movement involved.

4. Buffy-Again

Buffy-Again New Member

I understand what you are saying about your world becoming small. My biggest fear is having a attack in public with a bunch of strangers. I am however finding ways to make my world expand. I am in the final stages of getting a hearing dog. On June 14th I am taking my dog in for a temperment test to see if they think he can be a trained hearing dog for me.

One of my new mottos is : IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Buffy

5. newflady

newflady New Member

It is funny, how one day we just wake up and we have the ability to understand and cope with this lot in life.....Thanks for sharing, I know it inspired many who are still dealing with the pain loss and fear. Glad things are getting better for you! (((hugs)))