Yikes, how do I function at functions?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by karenlr, May 29, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. karenlr

karenlr New Member

:-* I have a friends and family event coming up today and now the uneasy feeling is upon me and I can feel a full blown coming on! I have a lot that I need to help with, and I get off balance and feel like I'm staggering. Any way to deal with the spinning when in the company of the outside world?

2. burd

burd New Member

Let a few know right up front that you may have difficulties and of what nature. It helps to know that a few others do too.
    Do you have anti-vertigo, anti-nausea medications? Always keep them with you and don't wait until it's getting close to something dreadful before taking some. You can take half a dose as a preventative and probably not get too sleepy to function. Find some dried candied ginger. It's awesome for nausea and the dizzies and you can eat it all day. If you can't find that, get some gingerale, the real stuff, will probably have to got to the health section of a store for it, read the label, must be made with real ginger, not just flavored. It also comes in capsule form but I found it not to be as effective for me as dried.

Take a break when you need to, some quiet space, through the day. Don't be afraid to exit for that. If noises bug you, take earplugs. If lights bug you, wear sunglasses even if it's indoors. Friends and family should understand, and if some don't, tough, it's your health and comfort you need to focus on here. So move slow and take some quiet time breaks, breathe, breathe, breathe...

Hoping it all goes good for you. :)

3. i don't handle functions well at all and usually skip them when i'm reallly sick. I was supposed to go to a wedding tonight but don't dare. It's not a close friend it was a woman from work but still - i hate being limited.

4. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Have your meds handy or have someone take you home early if you feel an attack coming on. ??? I dealt with the vertigo attacks for just over 6 years with frequent interruptions of events in the family and just working. So many times I needed to be brought home. ???

It interrupted working, vacations and everything I did. If I was on vacation, I would just have DH drive me back to the motel and let me deal with it the best way I could - usually riding it out and going through all the after effects the best I could. I would just tell him to leave me alone in the dark cool room with something to throw-up in. I missed a lot.

Everyone seems to have a different medication that works best for them. Mine turned out to be Valium (for the anxiety) and Vertigoheel (for the nausea and light headed way I felt before an attack) which I had used for years without any benefit until I devised my own method of taking it.

This is probably too late for today, but for future things - keep meds handy (at all times) and carry a butter tub and a roll of toilet paper in your car. :eek:

5. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Thanks everyone, I had a good day for a change, the "hummmmmmmm" in the left ear even took a break for a couple of hours. It's coming back now but I am taking that time out as a gift. The weather forced everything to be moved back to my home so I didn't have to drive anywhere and I was able to time out in my bedroom when things got too loud. In all it was a great day, thank you so much. This place is a Godsend!

6. so glad your day was better.

take care!

chris