yet another newbie looking for relief

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by betho, Dec 13, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. betho

betho New Member

i need help and i need it now. i am afraid to leave my house and am on medical leave from work. i go to dr. tomorrow to see if anything else can be done to help me with attacks.

2. DizzyNBlue

DizzyNBlue Forever Faithful Dumbass

What kind of help are you needing?? What kind of atacks are you having?? Why are you afriad to leave your house??

3. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

welcome

Wish I could more, I hope some one is going to the dr with you, havae them go when you meet the dr and take notes for you, have a list of things you want to ask your dr and a list of your symptoms

Let us know how the vist went
    Take Care
    Tuck

4. betho

betho New Member

I am afraid to leave home because i never know when or where it will happen. it has happened at work and family xmas party and in front of complete strangers who do not know what it feels like. it is embarrassing and if feel so alone and mad when the attacks happen.

5. burd

burd New Member

Hi Betho,
    We all go through that fear and for some of us it is a constant battle to hang on to some measure of independence.  For me it took finding a medication that wards off those attacks and there are a number to choose from.  It goes with me EVERYWHERE.  And has saved me many times.  I won't feel good but it will keep me from going into vertigo.

You will learn how to avoid things in public that may aggravate it, such as too much visual stimulation, and for some including me, all the fragrances and odors and chemical off-gassing we are exposed to that sets my menieres in motion.  I recommend that you pay serious attention to what is going on around you or what you ate or the quality of the air, when we notice symptoms fluctuating.  Many off us are affected by these things.  (First time I started to make that connection, was about a month after the onset of my big attacks, and I was going into a big department store and walking past a display that had strong incense.  Right away I felt a dizzy blast through my head and within a minute I was hanging on to a grocery cart to keep myself upright.  It doesn't always happen that fast, depends on the chemical or fragrance, but when I started figuring that out I have been able to make changes in my home and in how I maneuver in public, to my benefit.)
    There are as many coping tools as there are individual symptoms and triggers with each one of us.

Don't be embarrassed to tell any onlookers that you have an inner ear disorder that alters your sense of balance and hearing.   We've all had to hang on to walls and store fixtures and furniture and friends to navigate in public at times.  You will feel less stressed and less burdened, at least about that, and with many of us stress only amplifies our symptoms.

It does get better the more you know about your own situation, and the disease is always changing.  I started out with total panic and desperation and depression but have learned alot and set my limits, found good meds that work when needed.  Please read and research and find a doctor that will really listen to you and welcome your questions and research.

You can ask anything you want here.  Be specific.  No question or comment to big or small or embarrassing.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Terry

6. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Betho,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Terry/burd, you shouldn't be embarased to have an attack in front of strangers. If you need help tell them what's wrong and ask for help. You have to be careful locking yourself away, it can quickly grow into agorphobia (sp?) (the fear of going outside).

If you can find what triggers your symptoms, you can start to feel like you have some control. Once you feel some control hopefully you will start to feel safe to go out in public. You need to find what triggers your symptoms. Start a symptom journal.

Record:
    When you eat
    What you eat
    What meds you take
    When you take the meds
    Your MM symptoms and changes thru the day (times)
    Stress levels
    Menstruation

Food allergies are a fairly common trigger for MM especially gluten (wheat & other grains) and dairy. If your symptoms usually get worse after eating the same type of meal then you can try eliminating that food from your diet. If you eliminate an allergen it should give you some relief with in a week or two at the most.

Common triggers:
    Sodium
    MSG
    Stress
    Fatigue
    Wheat
    Dairy

Less common but reported triggers:
    Nicotine
    Seasonal allergies
    Hormones
    Alcohol
    Caffeine
    Other inhalant allergies
    Other food allergies
    Weather
    Sugar
    NutraSweet

Good luck, Tracy

7. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Betho,

Sorry to hear what a rough time you're having right now. Please stick around, there's a great group of people here, and we all understand how difficult this disease can be. I hope your doctor provides you with some help tomorrow. Make sure you walk in with all your symtoms and questions written down so you don't forget anything. Bringing someone with you to the appointment is also a good idea.

Good luck,
    Amethyst

8. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Welcome Betho and Hang in there! Burd and Tracy have given you some good info/advice. And Amethyst's idea of taking someone with you is good too. We are always here to try to help and we do understand!

9. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

Hi Betho,
    You have a whole bunch of good advice from everyone here.
    Your best defense is education. Learn all you can about how your body reacts to triggers and stress. Learn what your warning signs are before you have an attack. Listen to your body. Read the information in the resource area of this website. The more informed you are the better advocate you will be for you.

10. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Just wanted to say hello and welcome :)!

11. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Welcome, Betho. Good advice from the earlier posters (as usual). MM is scary - more so while it's new and unknown. There are lots of things that can be done to alleviate the symptoms. One is to try to stay calm - I know that's hard to do when you feel an attack coming on, but it's a valuable skill. Stress and fear just feed the beast. I hope the doc can give you some good answers and a plan of action tomorrow. It's good advice to take someone with you that can write things down and get yor journal going. If you're not getting good answers, then don't be afraid to switch docs and get more/other opinions. Many docs aren't familiar with MM, but they try to deal with it anyway (being docs and all). There are many, many stories here of bad medical care, but good care is out there. I hope you find some tomorrow. In the meantime, welcome here - this site is a great resource - it's helped me immeasurably.

Bob W

12. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Welcome Betho :)

13. DizzyNBlue

DizzyNBlue Forever Faithful Dumbass

Welcome to DizzyLand Betho.
    Sorry it's taken a few days to get back with you. I to this day fear going outside mine has gotten worse than when I first got sick but thats another story. Until you get more info and get a feel for what your triggers are if you go somewhere don't go alone and be really careful if you are driving. I haven't driven in years but mine is a severe case of BPPV and vertigo w/ MM
    Take Care n Good Luck (o:}

14. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Hi Betho and welcome.... are you seeing a general practioner tomorrow or have you already been seen by a doctor for this yet? why i am asking is it would be good if he/she would refer you to an ENT for your symptoms.... see what they say.

Good luck and i'm sorry you are having a hard time... i know what you are going thru and you have already been given some great advice on here... everybody here is so willing to help and someone is always around to ask questions or to just vent.

Please keep us posted.
    Gina

15. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

----------

16. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

Hi Beth and welcome.

Try to keep a journal like Tracy and some others have said. Ask your doctor if there are any meds that he/she thinks you should try to at least lessen the anxiety about leaving your house. Let us know how your doctor appointment goes.

Maggie

17. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Of course we all understand that fearfulness......the important first step is to try to get with an expert on treating MM......my docs in Michigan have given me several ways of providing relief over the years.....some lasted for years and some were short term, but they are wonderful in their wishes to really help me. And there are MANY things to try.....for me going on a medrol dose pak (5 days of steroids) has many times kept all symptoms away for months. Other times it hasn't been so easy, but there are many things that can provide relief, and some here have very serious bouts, others do not.....let's hope you are one that can find relief that is long lasting. Best wishes to you. Lisa B :)